• 2 Post By bennymx
  • 2 Post By SkyDan
  • 1 Post By kahapa
  • 1 Post By kahapa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
91 RON vs 98 RON

Few days ago filled up the 2011 using 91RON instead of the usual 98RON on the way to work.

Riding home that evening, the bike was popping and sounding like a twin, the exhaust / catalytic converter got very hot and emitted a odour.

After contacting the service station and confiming I had put in the wrong petrol, I syphoned out as much as i could and then refilled it with 98. However, the bike is still running rough, exhaust getting really hot and stinky and is lacking power. Is their anything else I can try as I was assured by two local service dealers of what to do.

I kept the engine revs down - my bike is a 2011 with HP4 full Akrapovic exhaust, and software upgrade, I run it in race mode.

Any insight would be appreciated.

cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:35 AM

I have run full tanks of 91 in a 14 model and a 16 model. Never hurt it. Was always only a tank when I was out in remote areas and thats all they had.

The 91 would cause pre ignition (knocking or pinging). The 91 fue burns faster and makes the bike run hotter. 98 burns slower and runs cooler than 91. I would say it needs to have the fuel dumped completely, and fresh 98 put in it. Maybe pull plugs and reset adaptation values. The 98 should clear it up though. The cat might have got over heated and is now causing the smell. You would have the fsc code in yours because of the full system. Which would richen it up slightly anyway so the 91 would have effected it more than usual. If the bike has richened up the mixtures to compensate it might have cooked the cat. Stuffed cat will definitely cause over heating and the smell.

If it's not just the fuel it could be plugs, coils or an oxy sensor. So I'd be getting it to a dealer asap if it doesn't clear up as it could be causing engine damage.
kahapa and bahkhok like this.

Last edited by bennymx; 01-10-2017 at 12:46 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:47 AM

I think 91 in Australia is not the same as 91 in USofA, same goes for 98. It could be that 91 = 87 and 98 = 91 or 93. I also had no choice ones and used 89 instead of 93. The bike was running poorly and hot. I filled up with 93 later on and run the cr@p out of it - high rpms. No problems after all. Maybe I dodged the bullet.
kahapa and bennymx like this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
thanks Bennymx, checked the cat on the way home tonight and looking down the pipe - it was glowing red. Will get it down to the local dealer asap. re dealer are you happy with yours, I too am in melbourne and I'm not overl happy with my existing service guys. They had a line-up change a year ago and have not been impressed since then ?

Cheers,
bennymx likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:21 PM

Which dealer do you use? Doncaster or Southbank are the 2 main ones.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Currently using Southbank as it's close,
but happy to travel
bennymx likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:43 AM

If you're not happy with southbank give Doncaster a go.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:42 PM

In the USA, our fuel is rated with the (R+M)/2 method, "R" being "RON", "M" being "Motor" (supposedly a more realistic test). As a result, the equivalent octane numbers in the US are 4-6 lower than in places that only list the "R", but it's the same fuel. So, 91 to them would be 85-87 to us in the US. For reference I always use the 91 here, so that's 95-97 to them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

2015 Motorrad S1000RR with the DDC and "Forgies"
------------------------------------------------------------
"Hangin's too good for 'im.....BURNIN'S too good for 'im.......he should be torn into itty-bitty pieces and BURIED ALIVE!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode