HP Race Kit and PCV - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 PM

You don't need the calibration kit if you ride street only. The HP ECU comes with an optimized map for a fully open exhaust (and with map, i mean everything: fuel, ignition, DTC modes are totally different, O2 and exhaust servo's are disabled, and probably some more stuff i don't remember).

The Calibration tool allows you to change fuel mapping too, but thats not the main pro of it. The HP ECU gives you an optimized map for a race exhaust too, which is a very well done map. I havent seen a bike with either a PCV or a Rapidbike output more HP or have a smoother torque curve than one with the HP ECU.

The calibration kit is intended for race teams and gives you the possibility to edit in depth parameters of the DTC (using data logging sensors), enable/disable various functions like fuel cut-off when off the throttle, O2 sensors on or off, knock control on or off, and that sort of gizmo's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the clarification..... Much appreciated

2010 AMA Spec S1000
2013 S1000RR HP4 "Comp"
2009 Honda CBR1000 Repsol SOLD
2009 Merc CL63 PP3
Wanna see something really fast....
http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k...0Passhires.mp4
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 02:24 PM

Race KIT

I had an old ZX6R with a race kit ecu from Kawisaki racing, and just plugging it in it gave me about 6-8+HP
with a filter velocity stacks and a full system it went from stock 99HP to 112HP
i noticed a huge difference with the custom tune.

But your right they Race KIT programable units from factory have much more tunability, with altitude, humidity, timing, fuel % increase along the flat spots, and individual throttle bodies.

My experience is with a Kawi but i'm assuming its the same idea, but more in depth.

cheers.

Last edited by phils1000rr; 01-16-2013 at 02:28 PM.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah I dont wanna get caught up in changing parameters from day to day weather changes.... If i was on the track i would or I would just let the PCV compensate for that.... I guess I'll just leave it the way it is.... Thanks

2010 AMA Spec S1000
2013 S1000RR HP4 "Comp"
2009 Merc CL63 PP3
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 07:32 AM

Think you've got a much better system with the HP race ecu compared to the fuel mapping of a PCV.

Was wondering about getting one of these, when you get the race ECU is it a totally different ECU that says HP race ecu or is it just a standard new ECU?

When you turn the bike on does it now tell you you've got a race ecu?
Not at same level but DP ecu on my 1098 changed start banner to read 1098 racing.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
HP Race Kit and PCV

No it's the same in appearance as the standard ECU on my HP4. And as far as start up its exactly the same no banner or difference. I agree I was wondering about the auto tune in the bike. I was under the impression the auto tune is on the stock ECU and not on the race ECU. So that's where the pcv came into question. Would it help optimize the race map on variable conditions. But after the last trip to the HP dealer they said I couldn't install a pcv even if I wanted to...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2010 AMA Spec S1000
2013 S1000RR HP4 "Comp"
2009 Merc CL63 PP3
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 09:17 AM

Could be wrong but are you sure the standard ECU has an auto tune facility rather than just using the lambda sensors to achieve stoicometric ratio so the CAT doesn't burn out? Think this would only be for part throttle.

Don't honestly see why you couldn't fit a PCV to an HP ECU although I'd be surprised if you picked up much if any real gains.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1098 View Post
Could be wrong but are you sure the standard ECU has an auto tune facility rather than just using the lambda sensors to achieve stoicometric ratio so the CAT doesn't burn out? Think this would only be for part throttle.

Don't honestly see why you couldn't fit a PCV to an HP ECU although I'd be surprised if you picked up much if any real gains.
The standard ECU has a very basic self tune. It will always try to hit the target a/f ratio, but it will also keep a history (much like a self tune power commander map) of what the injector output vs rpm/throttle/manifold pressure was the last time the a/f ratio was successfully hit.

The next time it detects similar conditions, it would go to the value in the stored map before it goes to the lambda sensors. After setting the injector output using the stored value, it immediately checks the lambda sensor a/f ratio, and the tuning cycle starts over again.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 08:34 AM

Is that true even beyond the point throttle open point where the map takes over & lambda sensors are ignored?
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 08:50 AM
Lifetime Member

Re: HP Race Kit and PCV

At 8k rpm and above

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com App

Current Street squiding bike
1993 EX-500
Honda XR100 Mini Supermoto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode