Drive-by-wire to cable? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Member

Drive-by-wire to drive-by-cable?

It seems like the only reason for drive-by-wire is to keep the engine's power at bay and make tuning a PITA.

As far as I know there's no such conversion kit, if there is let me know.

To the engineers and fabricators out there, how hard would it be to make a conversion kit to a cable driven throttle? Is it possible?

Last edited by awelch85; 01-06-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 07:15 PM

Garage
with ecu tuning the throttle bodies can be programmed to open sooner. they can also reprogram the torque managment of this as well as restore timing in the lower gears. give max bmw a shout as they have been doing ecu editing on bmw's for quite some time..with the hp tuning software this can be done but at a cost of $5000. im sure they will do it for $300-500 to restore that feeling your missing...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 10:34 PM

Electronic throttle control is an integral part of bike and completely "baked in". Sort of re-engineering the entire fuel delivery system and fitting an aftermarket ECU, there is no way to replace it with a direct system.

You can address most any fueling issues pretty easily in the aftermarket, so I'm not sure why you think the root cause of any tuning issue is the electronic throttles.

- Mark
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Member

I was just thinking that if we weren't limited to the x% of throttle that we are we'd be able to tap in to more power.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Sponsor/Admin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by awelch85 View Post
I was just thinking that if we weren't limited to the x% of throttle that we are we'd be able to tap in to more power.
You won't really get more power (overall), just more power sooner (in the bottom three gears I believe?!).

A lot of stuff going on w/the ride by wire though... so doing away with it probably isn't the best option for the S1.

SMRI #715, AHRMA #715 WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

Thank you - 2015 Race Sponsors (click below)!!

MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Schuberth Helmets**Held Gloves/Leathers**Riders Discount**Pit Posse**Woodcraft**MOTUL

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 12:16 PM

I thought there were some ECU updates that eliminated the lower gear power restrictions, but I'm not sure. In any event, virtually no rider can actually use 180-RWHP in 1st gear - you either get wheelspin or a wheelie.

- Mark
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Sponsor/Admin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I thought there were some ECU updates that eliminated the lower gear power restrictions, but I'm not sure. In any event, virtually no rider can actually use 180-RWHP in 1st gear - you either get wheelspin or a wheelie.

- Mark
I believe you're correct...

SMRI #715, AHRMA #715 WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

Thank you - 2015 Race Sponsors (click below)!!

MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Schuberth Helmets**Held Gloves/Leathers**Riders Discount**Pit Posse**Woodcraft**MOTUL

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 05:04 PM

Garage
Quote:

- Mark
the factory still has the first 3 gears limited regardless of years and updates. the dbw on the newer bikes is more refined but not perfect. max's bmw has been flash tuning for quite some time and can fix alot of what your feeling and improve other things.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsinclair View Post
the factory still has the first 3 gears limited regardless of years and updates. the dbw on the newer bikes is more refined but not perfect. max's bmw has been flash tuning for quite some time and can fix alot of what your feeling and improve other things.
Yes, when I said "ECU updates" I meant aftermarket. Still think that for all but the top 2% or so of riders at the track, the lower-gear power restrictions are probably a good thing.

- Mark
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Member

Quote:
...the lower-gear power restrictions are probably a good thing.

- Mark
Probably, but I still think it'd be fun to have, just to feel it. Most of the dbw being tied in to the system would be with ABS and traction. Assuming a bike didn't have those I wonder what difference the bike would have at WOT off the line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode