So I finally got to installing my Akra!!! - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > Exhaust and Fuel Delivery

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default So I finally got to installing my Akra!!!

This weekend I decided to stop being lazy and to try and install my full akra thats been in my garage for a couple of months.

I followed the instructions and used the Hardracing thread on how to install it for reference too. Some of the stuff that was super easy to do took me some time to figure out. I can probably do it again in half the time.

One of the things I was weary about was moving the servos while taking off the cables as I didnt want to get the check engine light as some have mentioned. I tried pulling on the cables a bit to make some slack to no avail. After 30 minutes trying to figure out how to create some slack, I got a flathead screwdriver and popper the cables out of the clips with it...had all the slack I needed then.I had to lift the tank a bit to get to the rear servo but it was not hard at all.

The next thing that turned into a looooong nightmare was...you guessed it, the %$*&#$ radiator bracket. It was a PITA and ill have nightmares about it for a long time If I had had an extra pair of hands, I woud have been good, but I didnt. I spent a good chunk of the installation time on this. It was late so I decided to continue the next day. The next day I continued to try to get the bracket out and I managed to get it out in about 20 minutes(MIRACLE)

Taking off the headers was not hard at all and I was lucky I had the 10mm 12 point sockets in different sizes. I think something good to have is a couple of wrenches with different size extensions. That helped me out a LOT!!! After taking the header nuts out I took off the 2 main screws on top of the cat and the 4 screws that hold the bracket to the cat and the whole exhaust slid out without effort.

Putting the akro headers on, I did the 2 left ones together and then the right ones. It was a breeze and the only issue I encountered was when Trying to hook one of the springs to the headers, it came out of the flange. It was in the middle so I had a hard time putting it back on. After that I installed the rest of the exhaust minus the carbon slipon. When it came to putting the radiator bracket I thought maybe I would get lucky and have no issues. I WAS WRONG. If taking it out was a PITA then putting it back on was a ROYAL PITA!!!!!! I needed 4 hands. If you do this with someone it would be way easier. All I needed was someone to push the radiator back so it would I could position the bracket in the correct spot(sounds easier than it is) What I ended up doing was putting a crutch against the wall, and pushed the radiator from the edge so I wouldnt bend fins, then since I still had issues with the screw falling out, I ended up putting a tiny drop of silicone on the tip of the hex and the screw stuck to it so I didnt have to worry about how to get the screw to the hole in the engine block. After an hour of trying I got it. I will admit, I would HATE to do that again...

After that the rest is pretty simple.I installed the PCV and my AR full carbon belly, badge holders and the tank covers that were already installed.Now waiting on my pazzos from Motovation and Ill be set...for now!

On the performance, Im always skeptical when I read online as some people exaggerate. I went on a short ride but I noticed the difference in power. It was a pretty big change, and the bike wanted to come up more.That was consistan.I used the DAN KYLE map and the bike was flawless. No sputtering and the power was linear. No loss of power down low either. Im very happy with it!
Here are some pics and a short vid I just took. The video was AFTER a short ride and the bike was warmed up.

ENJOY

Last edited by Hernan; 12-18-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Hernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Old 12-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Last edited by Hernan; 12-18-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4VkTgpNMyQ
Old 12-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wow!!
What a beauty that color. Maybe I shud get fairings in this color...It will match even if I leave the tank Alpine White.
varunrajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunrajg View Post
Wow!!
What a beauty that color. Maybe I shud get fairings in this color...It will match even if I leave the tank Alpine White.
THANKS! Id actually like to see that combination!
Old 12-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Damn, dude. That is gorgeous. And the little teaser video.......sick sound. Can't wait to ride with you again to check it out. Good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Mfisher702 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfisher702 View Post
Damn, dude. That is gorgeous. And the little teaser video.......sick sound. Can't wait to ride with you again to check it out. Good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks Bro! Im loving it. Cant wait for our next ride!!!!
Old 12-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

The long carbon can looks awesome with the blue….
Yamaha R1 01 [Sold]
yuvraj8511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
HP4

Garage
Default Gorgeous!

Wow! That certainly was a lot of work and everything turned out perfect. Would have been a perfect time to install both the radiator protective screen and the oil cooler screen since you had everything apart. Job well done..... indeed!
HP4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement