PC V help - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > Exhaust and Fuel Delivery

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default PC V help

Just installed a full Akro shorty stainless system and PC V. Installation went smoothly and took about 5 hrs including installing PC V, new oil and filter, new front brake pads and airfilter replace.

I have 3 questions following the install:

1. I tried Power Commanders 004 map but got a big hesitation between 1500 rpms and 3000 rpms. I then tried the 502 map and this has improved, but still needs some work. The difference between the 2 maps is basically less fuel in the 502 map across these rpm ranges (ie the numbers in the 502 map are lower) so my question is, should I just lean out the fuel a little more across this range and see how it goes?. Ultimately I would like to take to a dyno and get my own map, but this may not happen for a while. (NB O2 sensores have been removed, and I have changed no settings on the PC V).

2. I have the OEM quickshifter?. I am assuming, the PCV settings don't need to be changed to 'quickshifter installed'.

3. Do I need to block the pair valve? I have done some reading on the site re this and can't work out what the difference will be and why it needs to be done now that I have a full system. How does it introduce more air into 'the system'? Via the airbox? If so, I suppose I should block off?.

Recommendations for those contemplating this:

- a very good tool set with many types and lengths of socket extensions
- a low range torque wrench (I had one that started from 19nm - but you need a lower setting than this)
- fit the PC V 'in line' as it says. I missed this 'minor' point and spent 10 mins trying to work out why it would not start!
- I did it without a bike lift, just used a rear race stand. Was a little uncomfortable but no real issues
- when you hook in the PC V, the TPS wire you need to hook into looks yellow under white LED torchlight (well it did on my bike anyway). Took me a few minutes to work out that it was really a white wire.

It is such a different bike now. Not much louder from behind unless I open her up apparently, but the noise almost gave me a headache in the first few days of commuting on it. The bike feels as light as and absolutely flies now. It is a missile from 3k rpm rather than 7k now. Uses about 10% more fuel, but who cares!

thanks in advance
claytoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

I am interested in a full exhaust at some point but honestly, all the variables like your write up are what keep me from doing it. I am about a 2 on the 1-10 bike mechanic scale and I don't know that I'll ever be ready to mess with the engine management programs. I commend you guys for diving in there and you certainly earn the killer results. I'm jealous.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Mfisher702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

I have the Same set up as you have installed. I haven't install mine yet I downloaded map 004, Which I think is for the states. The 502 map is a european map. I'm guessing because of the Fuel octane are different. I wsa going to get mine dyno'ed I just wanted a base map in the PCV, So i can see where the dyno numbers would be before and after.

Thanks for the input.
Loomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
I have the Same set up as you have installed. I haven't install mine yet I downloaded map 004, Which I think is for the states. The 502 map is a european map. I'm guessing because of the Fuel octane are different. I wsa going to get mine dyno'ed I just wanted a base map in the PCV, So i can see where the dyno numbers would be before and after.

Thanks for the input.
Not to mention sea lever difference
lllN30lll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllN30lll View Post
Not to mention sea lever difference
Good Point, Raleigh is 434 ft above sea level or

132.2832 metres.

Sydney varies in altitude/elevation from about -1 m (highlight point) to 99 m (highlight point) above sea level

Last edited by Loomis; 11-23-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Loomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Try a different map, it's pretty easy to load in another and try it out. You can also alter the map and save it under a different name, just have a look at what they've done in that rev range (maybe added 20 or 25) and cut it back a few units to see if it makes a difference. I'm no expert but it sounds like it's rich. The fact that you're using more fuel also indicates a richer condition, I have not experienced that after adding the PCV with with an Akro long full system.
skapan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

First suggestion is to get professionally dyno tuned. Now with that said, try pulling out 5 points in that RPM range. If that helps, then try another 5, but I wouldn't go more than 10 total.

I have found that in the part throttle range that most Power Commander maps are at least 3-5% too rich. Plus fuel type and variation makes a difference.
RansomT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

thanks all. Will try and pull a bit of fuel out over the rev range in question. What about the question re quickshifter pls? I assume you only have to tick the quickshifter box if you have a power Commander QS fitted and not for a stock QS?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rang Power Commander. They were very helpful with their technical advice. No need to selct 'Quickshifter fitted' if you only have an OEM one (thought this was the case, but thought it best to check). Have taken some more fuel at at low revs, low throttle. Has improved, but I still lack a bit of power between 1500 and 3000 revs and also have a bit of pulsing at about 2000rpms (pair valve?).

Rang a tuner here in Sydney and he quoted $745 for a custom map. Sounds expensive. He also said Autotunes weren't that good. Given I only put in the PCv as I put in a full system and I just want the bike to run smoothly (I don't need the extra power) surely the Autotune would be the best (cost vs result) approach? Any views?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Really, save your Autotune money and put it towards a dyno tune. I think you'll be able to sort it out yourself by adjusting the map a bit at a time, and save the money for tires. Someone posted their map here on the forum a week or so ago, maybe download that one and see what the differences are. Quite a few guys I know never even bothered with a PC when they put on a full system, and their bikes run just fine (maybe not max power, but you know what I mean). Don't give up!
skapan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement