S1000RR - My journey flash tuning the stock DME - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > Exhaust and Fuel Delivery

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Vendor

Default S1000RR - My journey flash tuning the stock DME

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to the forum and wanted to share a project we are working on over here on my personal 2010 S1000RR. I was never happy with the drive-ability of these bikes, very off/on and tip in throttle was never desire-able. I am personally not a fan of "interceptors" aka Power Commanders because they don't adjust torque limiters, ignition retard/advance, and force the bike into closed loop fueling. While I've tuned a few and they "work" there is so much more left on the table.

In my personal business, we re-map and tune lots of German vehicles and Japanese sports cars. While working on our in-house BMW M3, and become frustrated with my S1000RR - we realize there are alot of similarities in the DME the S1000RR uses with some of our Bosch Audi tuning - which is the Bosch BMSK computer available in our bikes. After some research we learned our in-house tool that we use to program alot of European vehicles is actually compatible with reading and writing to our ECU.

After removing the ECU and opening the lid / examining on the bench we were able to get a full hex dump of the stock tune. From there and over the last few weeks - we identified many maps in the hex editor and starting creating the architecture of our wonderful bikes. Before making any changes we put our bike on the dyno to get two baselines, one stock and one with a full Akrapovic system. AFR is target based so the difference between both AFR curves is nearly identical with and without exhaust.

So far the changes we have tested and proven to work well:

-Remap part/idle/tip in/full throttle targets. Most important the sharp lean tip in at low rpms.
-Remap part and full throttle timing for premium fuel (93).
-Removing 1-2-3rd gear ignition retard (in some cases up to 3degrees advance).
-Remap Torque Targeting tables to supply a full 100% open throttle operation at high loads, the factory throttle was not fully open.
-Remap of all ignition retarded throttle tables rain through slick for smoother operation and drive-ability. Most important to me was the off idle throttle response. We can custom tailor all these tables and almost fully satisfied with the drastic difference in feel.
-Cat temp threshold (for bikes without catalytic converters this removes the rich fuel compensation to preserve the converters life)
-Adjusted the rev limiter 100rpm.

We are just about ready to head back to the dyno for more testing. Rain has been difficult lately in Massachusetts. We plan on testing multiple air fuel mixtures with an EGT probe to find the best repeatable power. Options for race gas with be easy to map from there. Based on our current testing alot of power in this bike is based off ignition timing and torque targeting - not just fuel tuning. It appears the OEM timing map is made for less then Premium fuel.

Will keep the thread updated with our progress. Below is some of the data before:

Dyno: Stock baseline with AFR

Last edited by bren RR; 10-11-2012 at 02:37 PM.
bren RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Interesting. Keep us updated.
Rush66crp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to G-force

OMG, finally someone that has been able to crack these ecu's stateside!

would you be willing to disclose what hardware/software you use to flash it?

reason i ask is i would LOVE to be able to use my stock ecu on a turbo build instead of going full standalone. i would be willing to pay for any help you can provide.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

+1 on the off idle response
Zmydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Too cool......thanks for sharing with us...
Yamaha R1 01 [Sold]
yuvraj8511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Very interested

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle
luker669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Vendor

The procedure of doing them on the bench is not difficult. The ECU is about a 2 minute job to remove. The lid takes about an hour. And setup is about 10 minutes.

We are also working on a "OBD2" style connector for us to be able to hook up to the round connector in the tail to "flash" these bikes with nothing else removed but the tail lid. It's very expensive on our end but quite possible a solution into the future.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to G-force

what hardware/software are you guys using and where can i get/buy it?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Can you post a dyno overlay of before and after?

Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle
Old 10-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianvr4 View Post
what hardware/software are you guys using and where can i get/buy it?
We use our own in-house tools - not available to the public. Initial cost is upwards of 25k.

Last edited by bren RR; 10-11-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement