BMW S1000RR Forum banner

2013 s1000rr exhaust modification

6K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  d40 
#1 ·
i currently have a stock 2013 s1000rr
and thinking of getting rid if the cat.

i am thinking of buying '10~'11 stock headers, cut the cat off and insert danmoto midpipe.

but i want to keep the rear exhaust valve from the stock headers to reduce sound a little bit at idle.

my question is, does the '10~'11 headers fit '13?
and do you think it is possible to cut the end off the danmoto midpipe and weld on the end pipe piece(with the exhaust valve)?

#2 ·
Welcome. I can tell you the part numbers for the headers are different from 10-11 to 13. I'm not sure if they will fit. You could cut the rear exhaust valve off and fit it to the dan moto pipe but you also need to consider where abouts the location of the valve needs to be in relation to the rear servo motor and the length of the servo motor cables.

#11 · (Edited)
I've lived in Germany; seeing MBs as cabs like we see crown vics along with BMWs filling every parking lot puts things in perspective, so I get it...

But why do that at the expense of a singularly engineered exhaust system made to maximize engine performance from gasket to muffler tip? For a challenge? A challenge would be beating Akra/BMW at what they've already figured out, and if saving money is the goal then neither will ever happen.

#13 · (Edited)
Do 'we'? Because I wasn't talking to 'we' nor 'others'. The OP didn't express any of those constraints in his decision making so I gave him my opinion and I left it at that until you prompted my additional response. Save your snide remarks for the village idiot.

@s1k13_jpn,

if you insist upon doing it, realize that by installing the DM you are cutting the cats AND the baffle for the OEM exhaust, effectively increasing your overall volume; that sounds like the opposite of what you want to do. If you're just concerned about the looks then techbike made a cover that might be what your looking for. It's cheaper and your bike would run perfectly with no additional tuning expense.

tecbike underbelly for S1000RR
TecBike Motorrad Zubehör | Motorradteile zu fairen Preisen

#18 ·
People (men) have been modifying exhausts since the internal combustion engine was first available to the public. It's almost a rite of passage in the journey of enlightenment through ownership. Let him have his fun working on his bike, sometimes it's more about being different than any other reason. If he loses a few horsepower will it even matter on the street?
Besides, all those that have experimented and now decide to move on need a market to sell their used parts.

#19 ·
I did what you want to do. Cut cat off and put a through pipe in place and put rear butterfly valve back on. It worked okay but fitting it correctly and welding the thin metal was a real pain. I eventually tossed the whole exhaust and went with a used brock system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.