BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Fun time Drag Racing for the first time !

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  paxman 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
THIS-" For me however my setup worked on that day so well that if you subtract my slow reaction time (0.4 seconds) I would have run the quarter mile in 9.8 seconds."

Wrong, reaction time and E.T. are independent measurements.
The ET "clock" only starts running once you break the starting beam.

The starting beam "clock" measures the time you actually move from the time the green light is illuminated. This is why there's an adage....."go on yellow" which means if you begin moving when you see the yellow light(s) (all 3 on "pro tree" or last yellow on "bracket tree") you will have the best chance of achieving perfect reaction time. Your brain has to send the signal to your extremities, only after it receives the information from your eyes.

This measurement (reaction time) is especially useful in determining a winner in a heads up race, where the one competitor can have a quicker ET, but lose due to the mathematical difference of the ET AND Reaction combined.

Peace......
Your misunderstanding of how this works is a very common one.

#4 ·
Also, not to disappoint, based on the numbers you provided, you ran a 10.2 ET, which is very respectable, considering it was your first time at a dragstrip on a motorcycle.
I've been to the dragstrip a lot more than you have and 10.2 is my best ET ever, on any bike.

So good on you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.