BMW S1000RR Forum banner

April 3, 2016 MIR Budds Creek- DMV - NoVa members???

6K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  5150 Pops 
#1 · (Edited)
If I can eliminate my CEL, on Saturday, then I plan to load the bike, with it's unpainted FRP, and "knock the rust off", Sunday. It's an all day Test and Tune, which the only other contingency for me, is the weather. I've not checked either one, but maybe I'll get lucky, with CEL and the weather!

A guy can dream, right?

Still in the "overcast state" plan to leave 2 days early, I've had enough.

@kruizen, @hxrly, @anybody else, @sro care to join in?

Haven't been on the bike since November, and have yet to do a trackday, but that's about to change, by the end of April. Until then, I'll make do with this test and tune day.

#4 ·
Crickets..............
@hxrly ???

I'm still fat, so you stand a good chance of dusting me, 265lbs with all my gear on, though there's a bit of a weight differential between the RR and XR, can't remember if it approaches 90+ lbs though.
:grin2:

Maybe not the entire length, the RR's power might help me sneak by you around the 1200 foot mark, if we run heads up.

Quite sure, I won't see much of Kruizen's bike past the 330' mark, except for the rear end, if we go heads up. Expert roadracer, and 100+ lbs lighter, same bike, but his is tuned. He'll be the rabbit!
>:)

It's just for fun, cost would be $20, and you don't need a lanyard, only full leathers, full face helmet, boots, gauntlet leather gloves, and be willing to have them write a competition number in white liquid shoe polish, on your windscreen/bodywork or if you have your own numbers onboard already, that will work in lieu of the polish.

Kruizen's possibly going to make it, the gates open at 9am, they start at 10am, and run until 6pm this SUNDAY. There's a swap meet too, if I heard the recording correctly.

Google MIR DRAG for more info, and here's the recorded hotline phone number........(301) 884-7223, on 24 hours, 7 days a week, with most up to date information.

#8 ·
wow! we planned things for the same day. I do work weekends, but I took off second half of tomorrow 4/3/16 to do to Dinwiddie drag strip. they have a car/bike night plus some other "big" things going on. Im getting off work tomorrow hanging around work for an extra hour to watch the motogp race on fs1 at 3pm. Then im heading down for the event.

I don't have a bike at the moment fabba. Im posting that story up in a few:frown2:

#14 ·
@Fabba @kruizen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIfzAM8_VmQ

Right when you were leaving @Fabba they opened it up again and there was barely anyone waiting in line. That would have been prime time for a few more passes; too bad the Mrs decided to throw a fit and had to pack it up.
Yeah I had pulled off just before the exit gate, to answer an email from work, and heard them announce a couple of bikes in the lanes. Had a bunch of fun today, even though I never quite got back to the groove I had early last year. Not terribly disappointed, considering the hella crosswind we had most of the day, I got confirmation the SS exhaust I just put on the bike, (without tuning and relying only on adaptation through OEM O² SENSORS), has bumped the power up considerably.

I was really really slooooow today, but the trap speed with the crosswind, (which never completely went away), was significantly better than it would have been with the stock exhaust. Trap speeds today averaged about the same as those from last year, with OEM exhaust and much better weather conditions.

Money well spent, and thanks again to @M GmbH, for a great deal!

I'm not trying to be a whiny little wimp, just saying - today was not indicative of my past experience, both with the atmosphere of the others present, and my past performance.
@hxrly ......... at least yours accompanied you, BEFORE having a fit. I had the distinct passive aggressive response from mine, that was along the lines of......go ahead, have fun, but your ass will be roasting, later!

#17 ·
Definitely had fun yesterday. COLD in the morning, and the wind didn't help.

Yes the track could have been better organized regarding the swap meet-sectioned if off better so it was foot traffic only in that area.

Stock wheel bases do make this tricky. It was my first time on the drag strip, hxrly killed it, awesome to see an XR launch like that.

couple of impressions:

-Can't believe how STICKY the track actually is, it felt like walking on fly paper
-a different type of crowd than road race track days. wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving tools out, like I am at track days
-not sure I need/want to go again. While over all a cheap day. I guess I just need to look at it as bettering myself within the timing zones.
-felt like I made improvement, but was very inconsistent trying to manage traction and keep the front wheel from coming up.
-Had some good times and some very bad times, best thing was being out riding, even if it was in a straight line;]

#18 ·
10-4 on the difference in crowds, and security as a whole is night and day different.

Much like you'd have liked to see 200 SAE HP from your bike on the dyno, I'd like to see 9's from my bike, with me on it, at least once. Not the end of the world if it doesn't happen, though I would have preferred it to have occurred prior to swapping the exhaust.

You would have been deep in the 9's on that one pass if the track were fully open at the time, and the cross winds had been non existent.
1.64 - 60' time is phenomenal on a stock wheelbase, ride height sportbike, but on a bike with close to 200 rwhp and 90ish ft/lbs of Torque, for your first ever trip to the dragstrip is just unfair!

Just kidding, jealous???

.........affirmative!

Got to try and persuade you to go to VMP on a Friday night, sometime soon, and I'll be done for this year on the dragstrip, and ready for trackdays.

#19 ·
The problem with the XR is that no matter how fast I can get it to go, it's still slow compared to these RRs. ;)

It was great meeting you both, but next time let's keep it local. Both Richmond Drag and Virginia International Raceway are way closer and they're decent; cheaper too.

My bike has at least another .100-.200s of a second in it, I just have to learn how to manage wheelies. As you can see in my video as soon as that front wheel start coming up, I get scared and shut it down.

As for kruizen, with that 1.6 to sixty and that trap mph, you can run crazy fast times. Fabba also launched hard on that run in the video, you can see the wheelie control working its magic. You were probably short shifting, but your bike should have a 9 in it as well with more practice.

In other words, now I want a RR. :rolleyes:

#20 ·
Haha, wheelie control?
Negative, DTC/ABS off and slick mode. Clutch lever baby!

Are you saying you chop the throttle when the front rises?

Stay in it, and snick the next gear, without rolling off the throttle any, it'll settle faster, and you'll lose less momentum.

Need to edit my onboard vids for time, and post. Last year I ran with the DTC and ABS ON and eventually went 10.2 but I've had more time on the bike, and was hoping to eclipse that time without the aid of the nannies, considering I have a freer flowing exhaust on it too. Unfortunately, I was not up to the task yesterday.

I guess because they had the swap meet it was another $10 than what it normally is on Friday's past, or maybe it's a Sunday premium. I'm going to VMP for sure, but I think it'll be a one and done, for the year. Either a Sunday if it's a test and tune or a Friday night. My schedule makes the Friday night a lot more challenging because I wouldn't arrive until as late as 8pm AND I have to be at work at 5am. VMP is an hour from my house, not counting loading unloading bike at track, and work is a half hour, so a Saturday after a Friday VMP night is less desirable. That said, I'll sooner do that than ever run my bike at Richmond Dragway.

I've ranted about it many many many times here on the forum, so I won't again now, but I will tell you as I've told others, spare yourself and your sanity.
In summary, you could not convince me to go to Richmond Dragway to run my motorcycle, even if it was free to me, and you fed my fatass!
>:)

#23 · (Edited)
Onboard video links...............
fingers crossed............
should be in order, last being the same as the first vid from Budds that @hxrly posted, and 3,4,5 should be @kruizen smokin' me.

Sorry not much to see other than tachometer, screen is dark, ran out of time to drill my clear screen that came with the bodywork and install other stuff too.
:frown2:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwqJY8plGVD0bkI4em80cXpPVEE/view?usp=sharing
was supposed to let off at eighth, but I had not ridden since mid November 2015!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwqJY8plGVD0a2VPMEF2UFQwTms/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwqJY8plGVD0MGVydWZCSGdiTzA/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwqJY8plGVD0LWFsVnU1aVk1TkU/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwqJY8plGVD0dFIxaG1WNjNWTUE/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwqJY8plGVD0SUdoLUNoOTcwZm8/view?usp=sharing

EDIT: Files uploaded out of order, I have since corrected the sequence as it took place. Also I usually shift around 13500-600 from 2nd gear on, but never could find my focus. Fastest thing I've been at the controls of since mid November was my Minivan, and I drive an "18 wheeler" Tuesday - Saturday Governed to 62 mph, of which it takes about a mile to get up to that speed from 0 MPH. Be easy.

#24 ·
Man you were short shifting the hell out of that bike! :grin2:

You actually have a bigger problem than me, because yours actually wheelies in 2nd gear. Do you have wheelie control? You can probably go a lot faster revving each gear all the way up. From the dyno results I've seen for the stock RR, it seems that the peak hp is at 13.2-13.3. In those extra 2k rpm is where the RR makes 40hp more than the XR, so I would definitely take advantage of it.

This weekend seems to be a bust, plus it's going to be cold, so I just plan to stay in and do homework.

#25 ·
Some pics that I was trying my best to show the physical differences from the mid pipe back between HP FULL RACE and Spark Full exhaust with sbk muffler, which is the bigger of their 2 offerings with full header. It is inconclusive, but it seems like the HP's about 1.5 to 2 inches longer, and the muffler chamber is close to 4 inches longer. Midpipe on Spark is about 2 inches longer than the HP.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.