BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Drag Racing it's bigger brother, the S1000XR

13K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  BT Moto 
#1 ·
Has anyone taken their S1000R to the 1/4 mile? I'm trying to get some numbers for reference.

I come and ask here because the S1000XR arrived to the US dealerships just 9 months ago, so not a lot of people are beating on it yet. Mine has been to the drag strip a few times, but I just recently moved closer to sea level, so I can finally run some competitive times.

Today I was able to run a 10.5 at 131mph on my first and only run due to the track closing down. I had an average launch and the quickshifter didn't take 5th, so I had to clutch it in. When I saw the time slip I was real happy because I knew I could shave at least .100s.

When I was running at 3800' of altitude, the bike ran 10.8 a couple of times and I always said this bike was capable of running a sub-10.5 at sea level. Now it's my time to find out!

Let me know your experiences and if you have any videos post them up. Here's mine from earlier today.

#2 ·
Has anyone taken their S1000R to the 1/4 mile? I'm trying to get some numbers for reference.

I come and ask here because the S1000XR arrived to the US dealerships just 9 months ago, so not a lot of people are beating on it yet. Mine has been to the drag strip a few times, but I just recently moved closer to sea level, so I can finally run some competitive times.

Today I was able to run a 10.5 at 131mph on my first and only run due to the track closing down. I had an average launch and the quickshifter didn't take 5th, so I had to clutch it in. When I saw the time slip I was real happy because I knew I could shave at least .100s.

When I was running at 3800' of altitude, the bike ran 10.8 a couple of times and I always said this bike was capable of running a sub-10.5 at sea level. Now it's my time to find out!

Let me know your experiences and if you have any videos post them up. Here's mine from earlier today.

Nice.

How much do you weigh, and was this 10.5 @ or near sea level?

#3 · (Edited)
This was at Virginia Motorsports Park just South of you. I found on a website the track is just 142 ft. above sea level. I currently weight 175.

I was asking over at the S1000R section of the forums because most of the videos I've found are from the RR and we know that's a different beast.

#4 ·
Wow, I hadn't noticed your location as Richmond! Also did not watch the video.:frown2:

What part of this great "metropolis" do you call home?

That's flying on that thing, no doubt. I've been there too, on my 2015,2014, and bunch of others over the years, I like it better than the place by the airport.

If you've not ever gone to Maryland International Raceway, the altitude difference is negligible compared to VMP, and RD, but the surface is outstanding. Always run a tenth quicker at MIR than I do, once I'm used to the machine, compared to the other 2 places.

I plan to go on a Sunday for test and tune at either VMP or MIR, inside the next 4-6 weeks, trying to get @kruizen to get out there so he doesn't burn his rear tire up making up the 12 positions he loses at the start of his CCS/ASRA sprint races, now that he got bumped to Expert this year.

>:):nerd:0:):surprise:

#5 ·
I actually live in Fort Lee, but I put put down Richmond because it's more recognizable. I just arrived to the area this January and this is my 3rd 1/4 mile pass at this elevation. Two weeks ago I went to Richmond Dragway, but it was sprinkling rain and I could only do two runs there. VMP is basically in my back yard, so I'll definitely go there often.

Obviously mine is not the kind of bike you find at the drags, but I like finding out how fast I can get it to go. I used to run it with dynamic pro with minimal electronic aids, but here I get a big wheelie in 1st gear, so I have to adjust my riding. I've never been to MIR, but if you're going let me know and I'll join you.

This week I went to the RVA bike night, trying to meet new riders in the area. I have fun going to the drags, but I'd like to find some people to ride with in the area and hopefully find some twisty roads... all the roads around here seem to be going straight.

#6 ·
@hxrly, watched the video, great stuff!

Need to kill the ABS if you're going to heat the rear tire, and you might as well do the same to the DTC. You'd beat my 10.25 from Maryland I had early last year on that run if the DTC were off, I'd bet.

That's awesome you had someone in the grandstand running video, and were able to splice them together. That GSX-R probably had an airshifter, mile long wheelbase, and it's obviously lowered to within 2 inches of the track surface. No need to feel slow when something like that is in the other lane. When it's test and tune, no money up for grabs, and something like that is in the next lane, I launch at the FIRST Amber light! Make 'em run me down, it also screws with some of them a bit, because a lot of them are usually quite full of themselves.

>:)

#9 ·
Thank you!

I went to the bike night up there in Mission BBQ. Yeah, I'm definitely on the quest to find some good roads, on this side there's nothing much going on. Yesterday I was actually riding the roads around Pocahontas State Park over by Chesterfield finding new roads.

#8 ·
Haha, that'd definitely screw with their heads. I just turn off DTC to do a quick burnout to get any dirt off the tire.

The tires I'm running (Bridgestone Battlax S21) are not designed for drag racing and I was running the rear with street pressure at 38 psi, but I've found it has surprising amount of grip.

#10 · (Edited)
Forgot to mention a guy named Steve, has a bike just like yours, and coaches with Team ProMotion on it, yes I cannot pass him unless it is the main straightaway, and then the only reason I can, is because HE just passed me a corner or two prior, somebody else held him up, and I was close enough to get by, but then he repasses me in turn one, like we've swapped bikes.

It's not because he's as small as Kruizen is, (compared to me) quite sure he has me beat in the size and age departments too. My point is you should not let the type of bike you have stop you from going to a trackday or more, just like you didn't let it stop you, from going to the dragstrip. The difference is, there's a lot more potential upside, to enjoy the bike, and "feel" as fast (or faster) than others in attendance.

#15 ·
You really can't go wrong riding any VA route signed road, West of U.S. 29 - the entire length of 29 - North to South, as a basic rule of thumb.

The county roads, are hit or miss. The difference between these is the state route roads are marked black background with white triangle pointed downward, and all three angles are curved. County road signs can be green with white letters/numbers or black and white slim rectangles. Out west a lot of folks have oh **** moments, in curves out there and drag gravel back on to the surface of the road, usually at the apex, when you're least likely to save your ass, if you're pushing.

There's some guys that think going down RT 10 East to the Jamestown ferry is the most spectacular ride ever, and then riding RT 5 West once back across the James River. It's nice scenery, but fairly boring, if you are by yourself, or riding solo on the bike. If you go 2 up with your woman, or if she has her own, then it could be a special day. The ferry ride is free, btw.

#16 ·
The first ride I took was 10 East to 17 North across the bridge and back on 60. To be fair is a good ride, good scenery, but there's no lean angle required for any of those. I've driven West a couple of times and some of the roads over by the mountains are amazing; I'm definitely looking forward so do some riding up there.

If you check the map for R. Garland Dodd Park, that 746 that runs SE is a lot of fun, short but a few good twisties. The downside is that just like you said, not all the turns are clean, you can find some dirt on some corners. That's the type of roads I go out to find on the weekends.

#17 ·
Yah most of the guys that think Rt 10 to the ferry and back on Rt 5 is the $hit would disagree about the no lean. They ride it at triple digits! Just about anytime there's a bad accident with a bike in that area, it is usually a single vehicle affair, due to riding too fast.

That's why it's boring to me, because I don't.

There are plenty of nice roads in Prince George, Chesterfield, New Kent, Charles City, Hanover, Goochland, Powhatan, and Louisa Counties which are close by base, but nothing like the stuff that you can ride much slower, and have more fun on, near the mountains.

#18 ·
That's a good time for BMW1000XR :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.