BMW S1000RR Forum banner

January 24, 2016

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  5150 Pops 
#1 · (Edited)
Cabin fever must be eliminated.

According to weather.com Fayetteville, NC 53° and clear and Jackson, SC 58° and clear. Both have 1/4 dragstrips Fayetteville Motorsports park and Carolina Dragway, which both run during the winter, weather permitting.

Unlike last year I rode to Fayetteville and had a miserable experience for it, I will load Frankenstein (still haven't got track bodywork, only running oem nose no mids or lowers) in the van and have at it. Unless the forecasts change much or the schedules do, it appears I will be headed to Jackson, SC.

Anyone else game for a bit of time chasing? It's just Test and Tune, no more than $25 plus your expenses getting there. There's usually very low turn out at these events in the winter months and that translates to many many many passes down the strip.
@kruizen, some practice before Daytona? I challenge you to a duel! LOL.

#5 ·
I would have joined you. Not in RTP yet.

How do you like loading your bike in a van? Any drawbacks?

For track would you rather have van, trailer + suv, or on truck bed? I'm selling my car in Calif, need to figure out what to get when I'm in RTP.

#10 · (Edited)
I would have joined you. Not in RTP yet.
How do you like loading your bike in a van?
I don't

Any drawbacks?
Yes, it sucks. Honda Odyssey designers surely never intended the vehicle to serve this purpose.

For track would you rather have van, trailer + suv,
When I find the time to install a trailer hitch it will be a decent combination. Depends on your resources, but if you don't have a family and can only have one vehicle, I'd get a pickup truck with at least a 6 foot bed, especially if you are trying to go economical. In which case you could get a small rather than full size truck with a four cyclinder, without 4WD and the load/unload process would be easy. If you want to have some space and comfortable ride to and from the track, an SUV/Crossover/MiniVan with trailer is the way to go. There's also a few people with the Dodge Sprinter/Mercedes Benz cargo vans too, unless you can swing two auto's probably not an option. The ultimate would be a motorhome that has it's own garage area, fully self contained, no trailer needed, prepare your own meals, no hotels, sleep at the track, I think it can be claimed as a second home,etc.,
:wink2:

#6 ·
Fabba you have dates? Might be game, but depends on the weekend and most of the time it'll be a last minute decision(wednesday or Thursday) before the weekend.

Z00 what/where is RTP? I prefer trailer all the way, my truck bed is very tall and when loading bikes into it I need a very long ramp to not rub the belly pan loading.

#7 ·
If your thread title is the date-January 24, I have a BRC class next weekend that is almost full, but there is a 50%chance of snow saturday, so I wouldn't know until Saturday if I'm able to go.

If we go I can put your bike on the small trailer with mine and we could head down together-save gas money.

#9 ·
"Yeeeah yeeeeeeaah", as Riley would say. (shameless "The Boondocks" reference)

"Gonna get our shine on", (yet one more to the aforementioned)
Thanks for the offer to pool our resources.

No biggie if you can't go Eric, I do plan to go on that date Sunday, and possibly 1 or 3 more times before April, but to Fayetteville or Jacksonville NC. They're closer than Jackson, and the weather should prove to be a bit milder with every passing week further South. At least I hope that's the case. If it's milder still and Maryland International opens early in the season, on a Sunday, I'd really like to go back there, as that's where I ran the 10.25.

If VaMotorsportsPark opens earlier than year's past I'll be headed there, without hesitation. Unlike Richmond Dragway, there's a proper shutdown area. There's not much distance from the finish line to the pine trees. When you're cracking 150+mph those pine trees can be intimidating, especially if you allow yourself to fixate on them.
:nerd:

I got me the RickyBobby-ittis again, I wanna go fast!

Not going to be as stellar as Bahrain's bike or rider, but I think my fat arse may be able to dip in the 9's, which I'd relish since it's stock wheelbase/ride height/gearing/exhaust just like it was last time I was there. I was hoping to have my track fairings fitted, but still haven't been able to order them just yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.