Justin's (aka the stilt) build thread - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Justin's (aka the stilt) build thread

hello fellow BMW riders. I figured I would start a build/my adventures thread to share with all of you, because who doesn't like reading about an idiot that thinks he knows what he is doing.

first off, here is a little about me.... I am a 37 year old father of one 7 year old boy, I was born and raised and still currently live in Olympia Washington, up in great PNW. As you will notice my user name, its a nickname that stuck from high school and its pretty fitting, I'm a 6'8 goof that has a lack of coordination, or use to at least. being as tall as I am i don't fit on or in anything that comfortably so you might be seeing a post from time to time that references my height and the struggles of being this tall and wanting to go fast on a bike.

I have been riding some sort of motorized vehicle since i was 4. my first street bike was a Honda cbr954 that I had for about 8 years and did a lot mountain adventures and track days on. I took a short break from riding after my son was born because i just didn't have the time to enjoy it. this past summer i bought a 2008 cbr1000rr and got back to riding, something I missed very much. my goal was to mainly stick to the track, the roads these days are just full of idiots and i don't find it as fun anymore. did 2 tracks days last year before I had an oopps and high sided myself which ended my season early in August with a wrist injury.

fast forward a couple months and even though i hadn't logged that much time on the cbr i knew I wanted something a little more. so in November I came across a 2012 s1krr at the local dealer and decided to pull the trigger.

on a side note, right before xmas I traded the cbr for a 2015 crf450r that the previous owner plated and made into an enduro, which is great because now I have a bike to go ride in the dirt with my boy, who i got a xr70 for xmas.

ok, on to the real reason you are reading this thread..... I present to you my project

the day i rode her home...

the bike came with a AR shorty exhaust and a motion pro throttle. I some how was able to also get a new zero gravity corsa windscreen in the purchase deal, so kinda excited about that (even if the first one they ordered was damaged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

i have a lot more to post about but will continue this tomorrow
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:47 AM

Location: 90 minutes from Brainerd International Raceway, Minnesota
What are your goals for this Build?
Is it going to be a track only bike?

Subscribed.

**Current bikes**
'16 BMW S1000RR Premium (Red/White)
'15 MV AGUSTA BRUTALE 1090RR (Another Red/White!)
'06 Harley Davidson V-ROD Street Rod (Only worthwhile HD)
'03 Yamaha YZF-R1(Blue thankfully)

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post
Wxhat are your goals for this Build?
Is it going to be a track only bike?

Subscribed.
I don't wanna give away all my secrets, but mainly track. I will be riding for track time, a local track day group, doing some beginner and intermediate level control riding.

So, to add more to this build......

The tires and chain are pretty worn, the dealer gave me a good deal on a set of Q3's that I will ride on for now but I have some GPA's to put on when I go to the track.

One issue that became a headache was the motion pro throttle, It doesn't fit with stock clip-on's. The throttle housing is alot bigger then stock so it pushes the end of the throttle tube past the bar end.

Notice in this picture how the bar end is about inch in the throttle tube

I had a couple ideas on how to fix this, and after pondering on them I choose to get new clip-ons. I choose the woodcraft clip-on's because I am familiar with there products and really like the customer service. Plus they make a riser style clip-on which works great for me and the fact I'm so tall. It saves me from bending over even more then I have to.

Unfortunately after getting them installed I really wasn't happy how every thing was fitting together, to much of cluster on the throttle side, just wasn't right. So back to the drawing board to think how to make things work.

My gramps has almost a full machine shop in the garage so I decided I was going to make my own spacers. The helibar clip-on's that came on the bike are threaded at the end of the bar, just like the stock ones are i believe, so I made a spacer that screwed on to the end of the bar, and the made so I could install the woodcraft bar end sliders on the spacer. It turned out great, I should have done this from the beginning.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

During the clip-on cluster I also installed this super nice brembo RCS master cylinder. I had this unit on my cbr and loved the feel it gave over stock. Hopefully it will work just as well on the bmw.

The wife also got me a couple Xmas goodies. Check out these sleek graves motorsport mirrior block off. There aluminum and fit perfectly. (Yes I know it's the same picture showing the wind screen lol)

She also bought me a lighttech folding clutch lever, which is also really nice, just not nice enough for me to remeber to take a picture of it.
Torchsport likes this.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Another thing I have been playing around with is the exhaust. The austin racing system is very well crafted and looks beautiful, but I am not a fan of the under bike exhaust look, especially on this bike, not to mention it is way to loud for my liking. A traditional side mount is what I am really looking for. I should also mention I like things that are different from every one else, so if I have the opportunity I'm going to take it. My original plan was to get a titanium akrapovic muffler off the new r1...

But after thinking about it, and also being on sum what of a budget, I'm going to use the resources I already have. What do you guys think of this possible mounting location?

My buddy can make me a mid pipe super easy and I can guarantee know one is going to have it. The bike has a PC on it so I can have it tuned. Won't be looking for max hp out this machine as it is already is fast enough.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:23 AM

Too low. Move it up so it matches the position of e.g. the Akrapovic or Arrow exhausts. No point in a low position on track unless you plan on scraping your exhaust when speed starts to build....

Get a clipon that matches your throttle housing. Don't play around with something that important, just get it fixed.... Or change the throttle.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:47 AM

So..which org are you going to coach for?

Maybe you know my buddy Steven Cook, or his son Troy...?
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

I wound say I know Steve very well and have rode with him a bunch, and know troy also, not as well though.

I met Steve through pnwriders, and he lives not to far from me.

I am going to be riding with the organization "track time", ran by Allen and jd, both who I have known for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydivr View Post
So..which org are you going to coach for?

Maybe you know my buddy Steven Cook, or his son Troy...?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dela View Post
Too low. Move it up so it matches the position of e.g. the Akrapovic or Arrow exhausts. No point in a low position on track unless you plan on scraping your exhaust when speed starts to build....

Get a clipon that matches your throttle housing. Don't play around with something that important, just get it fixed.... Or change the throttle.
I think it might just be the angle of the pic but it is pretty close to where the other exhausts sit. I do agree from the pic it does need to come up a bit higher. Tuff to get it exactly where I want when I just having hanging by some wire.

I did think about getting another throttle, like a stock one, but really wanted to work with what I already have. I don't wanna spend money when I don't have to. Like everyone else I'm sure, this is a budget build, so if I can save 150-200 on the throttle setup and actually spend that money on more important things that I don't already have, like suspension, then.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode