Show us Photos of Your New Ride - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > BMW S1000RR Main > BMW S1000RR of the Month Contest

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Default Show us Photos of Your New Ride

We all know the S1000RR hasnt been released yet, But once some members start to tinker with their new rides each month we will see who has the Best looking new Ride.

Stew
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Why don't you open it up to all BMW bikes till the release date?
putyoursoxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Xaus Smoking the S1000RR's tire at Philip Island. PIC OF THE MONTH BIATCHES!!! ;-) Let's hope the DTC works a little better than that for us mere mortals!

AlexOnTwoWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOnTwoWheels View Post
Xaus Smoking the S1000RR's tire at Philip Island. PIC OF THE MONTH BIATCHES!!! ;-) Let's hope the DTC works a little better than that for us mere mortals!
Haha the DTC in SLICK mode will actually allow you to trailbrake into the corner, drift it through and wheelie out for 5 seconds before it mildly retards the ignition and brings you back to reality. It also changes it to a quarter turn throttle and brings the power on very aggressively. Which is why slick mode can only be accessed through a jumper under the seat. BMW wants to be damn sure you meant to put it into slick mode.
snocompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snocompton View Post
Haha the DTC in SLICK mode will actually allow you to trailbrake into the corner, drift it through and wheelie out for 5 seconds before it mildly retards the ignition and brings you back to reality. It also changes it to a quarter turn throttle and brings the power on very aggressively. Which is why slick mode can only be accessed through a jumper under the seat. BMW wants to be damn sure you meant to put it into slick mode.
Did you just call me retarded?!?!?!? haha, j/k! Yeah, I've read that too.... but frankly that seems kinda like marketing to me. It's like they're describing the way pro's ride, and saying "Hey, this is gonna be you on the new S1000rr". I'm thinking they're saying if you can ride this F'in hard, then the bike will let you.... and help take that last little edge off. Sounds good to me... I'm guessing it's going to take a while before I'm ready to trust the bike enough to slam the throttle open at full lean.... if ever?

How does the DTC adjust for differnet tires profiles? For example, it must be proogrammed to work with a specific brand and dimension of slick tire.... I'm wondering if the "slick" mode comes with recommendations for the tires.

Another thing to be aware of is that running "Slick" mode on the street will be like suicide. When you say the power comes on "very aggressively", you're not joking! 170+ HP at the wheel will spin up even the best street tire so quick it'll make a squids head spin!
Old 08-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOnTwoWheels View Post
Did you just call me retarded?!?!?!? haha, j/k! Yeah, I've read that too.... but frankly that seems kinda like marketing to me. It's like they're describing the way pro's ride, and saying "Hey, this is gonna be you on the new S1000rr". I'm thinking they're saying if you can ride this F'in hard, then the bike will let you.... and help take that last little edge off. Sounds good to me... I'm guessing it's going to take a while before I'm ready to trust the bike enough to slam the throttle open at full lean.... if ever?

How does the DTC adjust for differnet tires profiles? For example, it must be proogrammed to work with a specific brand and dimension of slick tire.... I'm wondering if the "slick" mode comes with recommendations for the tires.

Another thing to be aware of is that running "Slick" mode on the street will be like suicide. When you say the power comes on "very aggressively", you're not joking! 170+ HP at the wheel will spin up even the best street tire so quick it'll make a squids head spin!

After talking to Gary yesterday he explained how well the electronics work. Apparently (he told me he hasn't had the low boys to do this yet but another rep has) at the start you can bring it up into the revs and bring on the shift light, DUMP the clutch and the electronics will take over and not allow the front to rise while applying the maximum amount of horsepower to the wheel. If you notice how damn long the swing-arm is and with it's adjustable lenght it really plants the power down. Anyone can make big HP numbers. The BMW is all about putting that power to the ground.

I know that in the three lower modes it assumes you are running a DOT approved street tire. Slick assumes you are running a full on race slick, obviously. As far as profiles I'm not sure.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Holy hell! All this DTC talk is making me drool.
freight dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snocompton View Post
... DUMP the clutch and the electronics will take over and not allow the front to rise while applying the maximum amount of horsepower to the wheel.
Kinda sounds like launch control. I wonder if its also the same thing they're using at World SBK?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't think it's an actual "launch control". This was just something that I heard, Gary had not personally confirmed it. I think it's just the DTC keeping the wheel down for you.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Spotted!

Gee, I saw this at Blackhawk Farms Raceway in Illinois, last week...

It was FAAAAAAAAAST!
Bonzoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement