S1000RR Heated grips - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors
View Poll Results: Can anyone help me on this?
Am I trying to make my S1000 too much of an all-seasons tourer? 15 55.56%
Is risk homeostasis a crucial safet issue? 12 44.44%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default S1000RR Heated grips

I have bought an S1000RR with delivery in early March, and have just discovered this site.

I bought the bike (thunder grey) with all the gizmos on the strength of the very favourable press reports, and of course an extended test ride though in near freezing conditions in England. I have (pretty tacky 'Daytona') heated grips on my current GSX-R750 and the test ride experience reminded me of their value. (Not just warmer hands with light-weight gloves, but the reduced loss of body heat generally).

My dealer in Birmingham, England, who has been very helpful overall, is not prepared to fit proprietry heated grips for a variety of plausible reasons (eg, the 'fly-by-wire' throttle - which would seem to apply to the Yamaha R1 as well). The only option is apparently 'wrap round' grips (supplied eg by Oxford in the UK). I had these on my Blackbird, and apart from looking untidy, they increased the grip diameters unacceptably for comfort and control.

So my enquiry is whether anbody else has tried to fit heated grips, and if so what was the outcome? And if anyone from BMW Motorrad is listening, what is the corporate view, and is there any possibility that BMW in due course will introduce these as an approved accessory?

My next contribution to this forum might be 'risk homeostasis', namely that the increased sense of security engendered by ABS and DTC might make me too confident resulting from over-reliance on these safety features. This may be a well-trodden field already, but I have yet to locate it in this forum.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I have bought an S1000RR with delivery in early March, and have just discovered this site.

I bought the bike (thunder grey) with all the gizmos on the strength of the very favourable press reports, and of course an extended test ride though in near freezing conditions in England. I have (pretty tacky 'Daytona') heated grips on my current GSX-R750 and the test ride experience reminded me of their value. (Not just warmer hands with light-weight gloves, but the reduced loss of body heat generally).

My dealer in Birmingham, England, who has been very helpful overall, is not prepared to fit proprietry heated grips for a variety of plausible reasons (eg, the 'fly-by-wire' throttle - which would seem to apply to the Yamaha R1 as well). The only option is apparently 'wrap round' grips (supplied eg by Oxford in the UK). I had these on my Blackbird, and apart from looking untidy, they increased the grip diameters unacceptably for comfort and control.

So my enquiry is whether anbody else has tried to fit heated grips, and if so what was the outcome? And if anyone from BMW Motorrad is listening, what is the corporate view, and is there any possibility that BMW in due course will introduce these as an approved accessory?

My next contribution to this forum might be 'risk homeostasis', namely that the increased sense of security engendered by ABS and DTC might make me too confident resulting from over-reliance on these safety features. This may be a well-trodden field already, but I have yet to locate it in this forum.
I think if anything it will come as an accessory but never as an option, not sure what the aftermarket heated grip kit is like, i'll have to look into that
putyoursoxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
JG1

How bout a heated seat too?

LOLOL
JG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry, it's a sportbike, and should not have heated grips.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Heated grips would be nice as they allow for regular gloves in less than ideal temperatures. I have tried heated gloves, but find them way too bulky and unwieldy to operate the hand controls safely.

As a Minnesotan, I constantly look for ways to extend the riding season. What works for me is a heated jacket and some silk liners under a pair of gor-tex lined gloves. At this point, if my hands are not staying comfortable, it is too cold to ride.
FlamingLips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big draggo View Post
Sorry, it's a sportbike, and should not have heated grips.
+1. No heated grips on a sportbike.
S1000freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

heat grips should be an option!!! if the bike is a performance machine what difference does it make if the grips keep your hands warm. for those of us who like to ride whenever it is possible. heated grips open that window wider. also, if you are more comfortable while riding you are safer! i have done 177mph with heat grips on high. without them i would not have gone riding at all. heat grips neither take away or add to the fact it is a sport bike. they do not change the fun you can have on it. they just increase the opportunity to ride and allows you to be more comfortable and safer.

Last edited by bmwTwisty; 02-20-2010 at 04:45 PM.
bmwTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwTwisty View Post
heat grips should be an option!!! if the bike is a performance machine what difference does it make if the grips keep your hands warm. for those of us who like to ride whenever it is possible. heated grips open that window wider. also, if you are more comfortable while riding you are safer! i have done 177mph with heat grips on high. without them i would not have gone riding at all. heat grips neither take away or add to the fact it is a sport bike. they do not change the fun you can have on it. they just increase the opportunity to ride and allows you to be more comfortable and safer.
Buy a Gerbing heated jacket with some heated gloves. Same results, less hassle.

http://www.scfoster.com
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Anyone who is against heated grips, has never ridden with them before. I used them on the track with my R1200S. I'm sad that my S1000RR won't have them.
smallj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sorry, but if you want a bike with heated grips, then the S thou is clearly not the right bike for you. You will want a 1200RT then Sir.
2008 BMW 635d Coupe...Diesel burning missile cage
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD....High Plains Drifter
S1RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement