[Rumormill]: BMW reconsidering cruiser market with six-cylinder naked bike? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to HotIce Send a message via Yahoo to HotIce
Default [Rumormill]: BMW reconsidering cruiser market with six-cylinder naked bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoBlog
The internets are all abuzz with word that BMW is considering using its new six-cylinder motorcycle engine on models other than the 2012 K1600GT and GTL. As cited by Visor Down, BMW originally showed off the lump on its Concept 6, which is helping to fuel rumors pointing to the arrival of a naked K1600R. Such a model would replace the current K1300R, but there are a few hitches to that giddy up.

For starters, the big 1600 actually produces 13 less horsepower than the outgoing 1300 four-cylinder, so BMW engineers would need to spend some time wringing additional ponies out of the lump before it could be considered a legitimate successor to the K1300R throne. Additionally, the 2012 K1600GT boasts a substantial price increase over the outgoing K1300GT, and chances are that the math would translate down to any K1600R model. That would make the bike less competitive in the market unless BMW managed to find a way to keep the price tag down.

There's reason to believe the inline six would be better suited to a more relaxed category of motorcycle, which has some recalling the old BMW R1200C. The situation is more than a little murky, but as Visor Down points out, we likely won't see a new bike boasting the big six-pot until 2013 at the earliest.
BMW defies logic with six-cylinder Concept 6 motorcycle — Autoblog
HotIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Stand way back, I have wood.
Dshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Could care less about the bike. I do want that push to start feature and while I'm at it I'll take keyless start.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

I can't see it in the future as a "Cruiser." A Cruiser engine it isn't even as a Concept 6. Not their lifestyle to go for a 6-banger over a two cylinder. Remember, Honda tried it with their Rune 6-cylinder about 7-8 years ago and it lasted maybe 3 years. If Honda cannot substantiate sales numbers with their larger dealer base on their Concept 6-cylinder 1800cc 'Rune,' I doubt if BMW can.

The BMW 6-cylinder is more suited to a touring type bike like a sport-tourer or a large Wing like thing. Maybe even a small car or possibly a Can-Am type three-wheeler. Better yet, some sort of Quad ATV thing to run against Polaris or Yamaha ATVs. BMW tried the Cruiser thing in the past decade and it flopped in maybe a 4-5 year run. Cruiser owners are a stubborn-to-change lot.

I don't think BMW has even explored the ATV, watercraft, or snowmobile arena yet where that engine may be better suited. That and far too many cruiser and chopper shops closing up like Big Dogs last month isn't a good playing arena to step into. Sort of surprised Polaris is trying the Indian thing (again) by buying them, but those are Cruisers by definition, just way too costly.

Fwiw, I was sort of surprised that in California according to their DMV site, off-road licenses/permits are actually more than motorcycles by 5,000 more units (85K motorcycles vs. 90K off-road ATV). Our Polaris dealer sells far more ATV's than their bikes by a large margin. They say "It is more of a family together item and the kids drive them around off-road too." Hispanics seem to go to them and ignore the two wheelers, but mama controls the spending for their families too. Changing concepts for entertainment and recreational vehicles now.

They need to do something else with that engine. It would be a shame if they had to discontinue production on it on such a limited bike model line like their K1600GT/L. My local dealer has yet to get a single buyer for that model. Time for BMW to explore other recreational vehicle avenues.

My two cents.

Mack
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

If they actually came out with a bike just like the concept bike, I'd put my name down for one. Somehow I doubt they will build one though.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Keep in mind that this all happened two years ago.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to YELLOPER1L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
I can't see it in the future as a "Cruiser." A Cruiser engine it isn't even as a Concept 6. Not their lifestyle to go for a 6-banger over a two cylinder. Remember, Honda tried it with their Rune 6-cylinder about 7-8 years ago and it lasted maybe 3 years. If Honda cannot substantiate sales numbers with their larger dealer base on their Concept 6-cylinder 1800cc 'Rune,' I doubt if BMW can.

The BMW 6-cylinder is more suited to a touring type bike like a sport-tourer or a large Wing like thing. Maybe even a small car or possibly a Can-Am type three-wheeler. Better yet, some sort of Quad ATV thing to run against Polaris or Yamaha ATVs. BMW tried the Cruiser thing in the past decade and it flopped in maybe a 4-5 year run. Cruiser owners are a stubborn-to-change lot.

I don't think BMW has even explored the ATV, watercraft, or snowmobile arena yet where that engine may be better suited. That and far too many cruiser and chopper shops closing up like Big Dogs last month isn't a good playing arena to step into. Sort of surprised Polaris is trying the Indian thing (again) by buying them, but those are Cruisers by definition, just way too costly.

Fwiw, I was sort of surprised that in California according to their DMV site, off-road licenses/permits are actually more than motorcycles by 5,000 more units (85K motorcycles vs. 90K off-road ATV). Our Polaris dealer sells far more ATV's than their bikes by a large margin. They say "It is more of a family together item and the kids drive them around off-road too." Hispanics seem to go to them and ignore the two wheelers, but mama controls the spending for their families too. Changing concepts for entertainment and recreational vehicles now.

They need to do something else with that engine. It would be a shame if they had to discontinue production on it on such a limited bike model line like their K1600GT/L. My local dealer has yet to get a single buyer for that model. Time for BMW to explore other recreational vehicle avenues.

My two cents.

Mack
I think the name is mixed up because that is not a cruiser. It looks like a take on the K1300R.
Alan Jeffries BMW in West Yorkshire has K1600GT/L flying out of the showroom doors. My last 3 visits have coincided with people picking up their K1600's which is more than coincidence.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YELLOPER1L View Post
I think the name is mixed up because that is not a cruiser. It looks like a take on the K1300R.
Alan Jeffries BMW in West Yorkshire has K1600GT/L flying out of the showroom doors. My last 3 visits have coincided with people picking up their K1600's which is more than coincidence.
Very well could be a take on the K1300R and maybe a high-tech K1600R? As markjenn mentioned, it was a concept bike about 2 years ago before the K1600GT even surfaced.

However, looking at the head-on shot, notice the 'engine block' is the 'slider.' Sticks out quite a bit on both sides, more on the right. Wouldn't be fun to low-side on that where one low side event = a whole new bike.

It would be nice to have a Push-to-Start button like on all the hybrids. Just carry the fob in your pocket and you're set to go.

Mack
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

This is something like what Ducati did with their Diavel. They have a superbike engine in a power cruiser/naked bike type motorcycle. Have not seen one on the road yet but I have seen them at dealers with a "sold" sign/tag.
cesarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

This would be one of the very few (maybe only?) symmetrical bike BMW has ever made!

1942 PT-17 Stearman Biplane (My pride and joy! )
le_loup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement