CAN Bus Questions - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default CAN Bus Questions

Hello All,

I have been going through the shop DVD (shop manual) trying to find information on the CAN bus that is used on our S1000RR.

I could not find the info on it and I had a couple of questions;

- Can anyone tell me where the CAN bus connector is located for diagnostics, it must be under the rear seat so it is easy to get at?

- Is the Speedometer driven by the CAN Bus and which connector does it use?

- I tried to find the wiring diagram but could only found a graphic of where the wiring harness physically is run on the bike but not the actual wiring information.

- Can someone point me to where it is in the DVD?

Is just me or is this a REALLY difficult shop manual to find anything in ?????

And yes, I did search the site for info already but didnt come up with answers on this.

Thanks!
glewis01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Are you trying to integrate a data logger? Here is a thread about that subject, which goes into details about picking off the data from the ECU.

The connectors are black taped under the passenger seat, to the side of the frame. You have to cut the tape to get at them. If you take off the whole tail assembly, they become obvious. The one you want is the alarm connector. That will supply power and the CAN high & low signal wires. Note that if you take any caps off you will need to install resistors so you don't get errors on the instrument display. Best to use wire taps and leave the caps alone.

http://www.scfoster.com
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Speedo gets its signal from the rear wheel speed sensor on ABS bikes. Non ABS bikes the signal comes from the fron sprocket pick-up.

No wiring diagrams available on the shop DVD. They are on a seperate service disc but BMW has not updated that disc in a few years. They are available to BMW shops on their GT1 or MOSS PC computer systems.

Check sfoster's thread on his data logging project. The CAN wire colors are given there--white with green and whit with black I believe but am not 100% sure so look it up in that thread to make sure.

Diagnosis plug is under the passenger seat. It is tubular and has a screw off cap.
viperclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Side note: Per Service Manual,

I have to admit that this has to be one of the toughest manuals to figure out how to use and get the info you are looking for. Once you get the hang of it I find it to be well put together and simple to use, it just takes some getting used to. I will say this though, it is one of the lightest manuals I've ever seen in terms of content, a bit lacking in quantity!!,

Back to regularly scheduled program.
AFM#650
Shawnery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you 3 for replying with great detailed answers, I really appreciate it!

I am going to take a look at the connectors per the instructions from sfoster.

Thanks again!
glewis01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage
Default BMW shop manual

I also have the BMW DVD shop manual and have found it to be very useful when it comes to assembly/disassembly of things like the motor. It is I think intentionally vague when it comes to trouble shooting electrical, emissions, and ECM problems because the factory expects the mechanic to have the BMW shop scan tool to analyze for these problems.

I wanted a wiring schematic too, but the manual DVD says to connect the bike to the scan tool to see this and the testing steps needed for trouble shooting.

It is not as useful as I hoped, but still a good resource.

Mike
yzfr1mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement