FUEL PUMP LOCATION - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default FUEL PUMP LOCATION

Alright..........since it seems that no one has hooked up the ignition disable of the scorpio i900, can ANYBODY tell me the location of the fuel pump OR the location of the ignition wire. Hell if i had a diagram I wouldnt ask. And please nobody respond with "why are you hooking that up" or "you cant start the bike without the key so you dont need it"..... I already know these things but i like the hijack feature so i do need to do it. Thank you all.
Showtimejb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtimejb57 View Post
Alright..........since it seems that no one has hooked up the ignition disable of the scorpio i900, can ANYBODY tell me the location of the fuel pump OR the location of the ignition wire. Hell if i had a diagram I wouldnt ask. And please nobody respond with "why are you hooking that up" or "you cant start the bike without the key so you dont need it"..... I already know these things but i like the hijack feature so i do need to do it. Thank you all.
Not sure about the ignition switch or the fuel pump.

Something you can try would be to interrupt the kickstand switch. The alarm should provide a set of dry contacts to break the ignition wire. This same set of contacts could be used to break the wire on the kickstand.

Now just try to locate the correct kickstand wire and you are in business.

Pay attention to the "normally open / normally closed" details of the alarm relay.

I don't suffer from insanity.
I enjoy every minute of it!

Acid Green S1000RR 2010
Copper Hayabusa 1999
Rodomontade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodomontade View Post
Not sure about the ignition switch or the fuel pump.

Something you can try would be to interrupt the kickstand switch. The alarm should provide a set of dry contacts to break the ignition wire. This same set of contacts could be used to break the wire on the kickstand.

Now just try to locate the correct kickstand wire and you are in business.

Pay attention to the "normally open / normally closed" details of the alarm relay.
lol Dammit you might be a genius.........thanks man jus gotta see if i can find the wire. Wish i knew what the fuel pump looked like tho.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Pump is inside the gas tank. To pull it, take the seat off. Pull the long rear bolt at the back of the tank. There are two bolts through some grommets at the front of the tank on both sides of the frame, take those out. The top cover has to come off too and I think I had to pull the gas tank filler as well. Been a while since I was in their to replace the warranty-recall breather hose myself.

At the top of the tank, pull off the two vent hoses. They get tight with heat and time. The fuel pump line has a quick disconnect - push that button on the side of it down and the line will pop off.

Now there are two sets of wire connectors into the pump housing: One is for the pump itself and the other for the "Low level" sending unit that triggers the fuel-warning light on the dash. They are tight to remove and I seem to recall they have a little piece you need to pull back to get them off. They have a rubber water-proofing gasket around them that makes them tight too. Don't pull on the wires as they are small and will come out of the metal connector inside the plastic piece.

As to which wires go where, I think the outermost connector of the pump retaining ring is the fuel sender part, so the other is the one you want. BMW uses the color "Brown" as a ground on their newer bikes (at least it is on my GT). So the hot would be the other, although they may use two more wires as I think the pump has 3 (??). Can't recall offhand, but if you want to take the 6 bolts out and pull the pump to look, that gasket will need to be replaced as it used to be some sort of material that swells up when gas hits it to seal. My RT had it in it and it swelled up like a donut once it was taken off and would never go back in. They are about $9 or so. Least the S uses bolts and not that damn huge nut-like thing like the GT has that requires a special tool to unscrew it or a lot of fiddling with a strap wrench. Be careful with the pump piece as it's about a $500 part. My GT ended up with a pinhole leak at the quick-disconnect when I opted to go to the metal one. The pump body housing had some hairline cracks in it and the new metal Q.D. bottomed out and would never seal well. Rode around and the mat under the tank was sopping wet in fuel one day and the smell of gas was everywhere. Should have left that alone. Lesson learned was: "Don't mess with old hardened plastic unless you want to part with $500."

The ignition side would be easier to get to the kill switch of the bar's harness, or maybe the crank's Hall sensor switch. Ignition switch is a cluster of wires with the Key's Fob receiver coupled into it. That switch usually requires a drill to get it off from the underside of it (one-way screws?) . Wire's themselves are a pretty small gauge too. I'd opt for the "Kill Switch" wire but I don't know the color of that one, but you should be able to track it down with a continuity tester at the connector once you disconnect it for the bar. I know the little screw that holds the switch together at the bar is a T-4 Torx (really small and some folding Torx wrenches have it like the one at Harbor Freight for $4.). Good luck.

Mack
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks. Oh so its an internal pump......I thought that it might have been an external unit. Well that pretty much kills cuttin the posi wire idea. Now the kill switch sounds like the best option but it seems like too much tracking and disassembly. I was kinda lookin to trace one EASY to find wire, cut it, and connect again through the disable unit. The next option i can think of is the fuse box.

Jus did a lil thinkin on the kickstand switch idea, and the problem would be that while the alarm is going off you could still start the bike AND it wouldnt cut off if it was in neutral as the kickstand switch only functions if the gear is engaged. I guess it would still do its job though........

Any other ideas? BTW thank yall
Old 12-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks. Oh so its an internal pump......I thought that it might have been an external unit. Well that pretty much kills cuttin the posi wire idea. Now the kill switch sounds like the best option but it seems like too much tracking and disassembly. I was kinda lookin to trace one EASY to find wire, cut it, and connect again through the disable unit. The next option i can think of is the fuse box.

Jus did a lil thinkin on the kickstand switch idea, and the problem would be that while the alarm is going off you could still start the bike AND it wouldnt cut off if it was in neutral as the kickstand switch only functions if the gear is engaged. I guess it would still do its job though........

That would create even more confusion for the "would be thief"
Would be funny to watch!

I don't suffer from insanity.
I enjoy every minute of it!

Acid Green S1000RR 2010
Copper Hayabusa 1999
Rodomontade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodomontade View Post
That would create even more confusion for the "would be thief"
Would be funny to watch!
Yep. Might even put some older swtichgear on the bike. Took me a long time to figure out to start the thing and what the lightning bolt met and how it operated the first time I rode an older BMW on a test ride.

Dealer gave me $5 to put gas in it as it was new and going for a test ride. Got to station and had to call him on a pay phone how to start the damn thing: "Sidestand up. Key on. Kill switch midway. Now, press the 'Green lightening bolt button.' You dumb-ass Harley rider!"

Felt so dumb I bought it and traded-in the Harley.

Mack
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Garage

Quote:

I say hook it up to the pump in the tank. Thief rides off, you hit the panic button, thief goes boom.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement