How do you remove/replace the windscreen? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 01:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How do you remove/replace the windscreen?

Today I received my MRA windscreen. So after dinner I go in the garage and remove the 8 machine screws holding the stock one in place, only to realize that the darn thing is wedged in there pretty good. I tried somewhat gently to flex the stock windscreen towards one side, so as to get the 3 tongues holding the grommet-type fasteners over the front fairing, but no go. I didn't want to force anything and risk scratching and/or cracking the plastic, so i just put the screws back and called it a night. What is the proper way to replace the windscreen without damaging anything? Should I just have the dealer replace it when I take it back for the 600 mile service?

Thank you in advance for your assistance on this.
acm_s1krr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 01:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

The ones that seemed snug for me were the bottom ones... you just keep tugging (in a safe manor... don't get crazy), and they will work themselves out/off. No real tricks to it. I've had to do mine twice (remove/reinstall). The hardest part is transferring the grommets from one screen to the next.
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Along these lines, is anyone else getting a big buildup of dirt around the intake hole in the screen? Any way to clean that without pulling the screen off?

KeS
kevin_stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

alright, there's no real trick, just take your time and most of the rubber grommets will come out. transferring them over to the new screen is a little tough. I used some dish detergent to ease the transfer. I work in the Auto Industry and we use regular dish detergent all the time when fitting rubber bumpers and things of this nature. The main thing is take your time and if you get frustrated, take a break. Good luck
jamesf30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_stevens View Post
Along these lines, is anyone else getting a big buildup of dirt around the intake hole in the screen? Any way to clean that without pulling the screen off?

KeS
Maybe if you have a kid with really small hands. I don't have either though. So when I wash the bike, the windscreen has to come out so I can get the water off the inside before it waterspots.
OG 2010 Acid Green Pre-Orderer
66droptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000RR View Post
The ones that seemed snug for me were the bottom ones... you just keep tugging (in a safe manor... don't get crazy), and they will work themselves out/off. No real tricks to it. I've had to do mine twice (remove/reinstall). The hardest part is transferring the grommets from one screen to the next.
Thank you all for the feedback. I replaced many a windscreen on my other bikes, but they pretty much always slid out from the top of the front fairing. With this bike, however, it doesn't seem to be that simple. You can't just slide it out from the top (like on the K1200/K1300S bikes for example), as the bottom portion of the windscreen is wider than the narrowest part of the fairing (the part above the air intake). There must be a trick to it, and I guess I'm too dumb to figure it out. S1000RR, if I may ask you, what is the procedure you use to get the damn thing off the fairing? You stated that the two bottom tongues are the ones that are the most difficult to get over the fairing, and that sure is the case for me as well. You say to tug on it: which way do you tug? Straight towards the top of the fairing, or do you flex the right side of the screen (the side that has more clearance between it and the dash) inwards to get the tongue to clear the fairing? Any little trick you can provide is much appreciated. And those grommets can be tricky to get in/out of the screen, but silicone lubricant and pretty much any other lubricant will make it easier. I learned that the hard way, after ripping a few on my K1200S. Those things are like $4 each...
Old 08-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

It also helps in removing the little plug in nuts if after removing the screw, screw it back in about a turn or two and then press on the head this will help extend the plug in nut and make it thinner on the end below the wind screen. It should be easier to get out. Not easy, just easier.
viperclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66droptop View Post
Maybe if you have a kid with really small hands. I don't have either though. So when I wash the bike, the windscreen has to come out so I can get the water off the inside before it waterspots.
Compressed air is your friend....
Old 08-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

I'll have to go home later and check it out... to be honest, mine never seemed that hard to remove... once off though, those little grommets are a PITA.

Like Viperclaw said though, as you unscrew the bolts, you might try pushing on the head of the bolt just before you unscrew it all the way... that way it will extend (uncompress) the compression grommet and it will be easier to detach the screen from the bike.
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Note,
Don't use silicone grease as it will be too slippery for the job (the well nuts will squirm out or rotate when you tighten the screws) and potentially create issues for you down the road if you were to do some paintwork on the bike!

Dish soap is pretty good but I find that a small judicious amount of KY jelly will give you the slip fit that you are looking for and the excess will be easily removed once the installation is done with some plain water. This will help keep the wellnuts from rotating or squirming out when you tighten the fasteners.
Toynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement