How do you remove/replace the windscreen? - Page 4 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 04:35 AM   #31 (permalink)

Sorry to revive this thread, but i got bit desperate.

i removed the 8 screws with the washers.
I removed the top 6 (3 on each side) elastic nuts from the old windscreen to the new one.
Do i have to pull out the most bottom 2 elastic nuts that are behind the instrument panel out? if yes, how can i do that? should i get access to them from behind the instrument panel?

Riding without a windscreen till i know what to do.
Thanks.
Shimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #32 (permalink)

all of the rubber grommets should have come out with the stock windscreen, and then get transferred to the new windscreen.

i may not understand what you are asking though.

don't know if it will help, but here is a link to my build thread where i recorded the remove/install steps:

Windscreen replaced

only part missing is the last 1.5s of 'firm but gentle wiggling' to dislodge the stock screen. (newbie video editing, the transition hid the screen popping free)

build | pics | vids
skivviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #33 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Some bikes are delivered with the bottom two grommets installed in the fairing, not the windshield. I used a longer bolt with the same thread to stretch the insert a bit, and then it pulled out without a problem. You could also use a small screwdriver as others have suggested. No access to the rear of the panel is needed.

OR just leave the grommets in there and install the new windshield. That would be easier.
skapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #34 (permalink)

they do sell them at the shop I tore mine and needed two. I also ordered a whole set on ebay for 9 dollars.
vcatalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #35 (permalink)

I just installed the zero g on my 2012.
The OEM windscreen had 6 grommets on the top 6 holes. the bottom holes had no grommets. I did not mess trying to remove them from the bodywork.
I transferred the 6 top grommets to the new screen, set it in place, screw it gently,
all good.

removing the OEM was tricky. lift the front and then slide it back. done.
FrankoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #36 (permalink)

The frickin grommets. Otherwise, a 5 minute job.

So on my 2013, the lowest 2 grommets were plugged into the body underneath the windscreen so I eased the OEM windscreen up and away so those two grommets remained behind....attached to the bike. I helped them stay behind with a drop of KY and then scrunching up the top lip of the grommet through the holes in the windscreen as I pulled the windscreen up and away from the bike.

Grommet transfer.....pain in the ass. Through trial and error, I found the easiest way to get them out of the OEM was to grab the long end and twist while pushing up and through the windscreen. No KY on this step. I needed some grip-twist to do this. No damage.....went slowly.

Installing the grommets in the ZG windsceen....used a dab of KY on each and twisted the long part down through the windscreen. Then I dabbed the two holes in the bike (lowest two grommets about to go there) with KY and sort of push-fit them / seated them as I reinstalled the windscreen.

So....a 45 minute job with 40 of those minutes spent on the damn grommets. I'd gladly pay $10-$20 more for a replacament windscreen with the grommets already installed.

Mark
Mfisher702 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcatalina View Post
they do sell them at the shop I tore mine and needed two. I also ordered a whole set on ebay for 9 dollars.
Vcatalina, English is not my first language, i want to know what is the term to search for on Ebay? On the workshop manual it is called "elastic nuts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skivviss View Post
don't know if it will help, but here is a link to my build thread where i recorded the remove/install steps:

Windscreen replaced

only part missing is the last 1.5s of 'firm but gentle wiggling' to dislodge the stock screen. (newbie video editing, the transition hid the screen popping free)
It misses the part that i really wanted to know
I managed to get the last two which are behind the instrument panel out later in the day as the weather got hotter and they got softer and i just pushed them with a thin screwdriver in so they expand and be narrower, then gently pull them out, they took a bit of time. In the morning when it was a bit cold they were stiff like plastic.

After taking all of them out and putting back on and installing, i found that few of them are not being compressed when screwing the bolt, apparently the glue of the metal part and the rubber part got screwed either from me fiddeling them or from the hot weather we got here "in dubai it reaches 50C"

As most are in place and it is still very sturdy, but i want everything to be as designed so i'll order some and replace the bad ones as i know the trick now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfisher702 View Post
So....a 45 minute job with 40 of those minutes spent on the damn grommets. I'd gladly pay $10-$20 more for a replacament windscreen with the grommets already installed.
Mark
Absolutly true

Thanks all for helping.
Shimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #38 (permalink)

Test drove ~60 miles today. Huge difference / improvement for me. I'm 6'2" and the airflow goes right across the top of my helmet in normal riding position now. Highway speeds are much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Mfisher702 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #39 (permalink)

I replaced my stock screen today with a ZG smoke screen and this thread really helped me with the job.I went through the thread like 5 times

Replacing the gourmets from the stock screen to the new was indeed most time consuming part.
Things I discovered while replacing the gourmets which might help others are :

>Inorder to remove the gourmets from the stock screen you could dip the gourmets in warm water to make them soft, they come out easily and slip into the new screen with ease as well.
>The lower two gourmets mostly stay in the frame and pulling them out was the hardest part, inorder to pull them out easily you could try to put the screws back half way into the gourmets, this would expand the gourmets and then they could be easily pulled out.

The video made by forum member skivviss also helped.
Zero Gravity Double Bubble Windscreen Install - YouTube

Thanks to all the riders who shared their experience and helped me with the job.

Uv
Yamaha R1 01 [Sold]
yuvraj8511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #40 (permalink)

I always use a pair of forceps/roach clip to both remove and install the rubber grommets. The blunt tips help push them back in without tearing them. I also use rubbing alcohol as a lubricant.....evaporates right afterwards. You can also use the forceps to take the grommets out of the oem windscreen. Just lube, grab an edge and pull 'em out.

2010 S1000RR - White/Blue/Red
2013 Kawasaki ZX-10R
2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000
2008 Suzuki M-109R LE
2008 Kawasaki Teryx
R1HOOLIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement