Heli bars installed - Page 9 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #81 (permalink)

I just rode another 80 miles on my new Helibars today. ALL my right wrist and hand issues are gone. The feel and fit and my body posture is custom perfect now. Great combo with the Sargent seat.

Windscreen is Puig light smoke

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Mfisher702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #82 (permalink)

They look great! That's my next mod

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
nik08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #83 (permalink)

I rode my buddy's 2010 with the helibars and actually preferred my stock 2012 bars. The helibars felt too swept back like a wheelbarrow.
Otherwise I liked the less weight on the wrists.
I would imagine helibars on my 2012 would feel exactly the same as the 2010. That's the only reason I haven't changed my bars.
ChainLash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #84 (permalink)

I have them on my 2011 also, and they do indeed make a world of difference. A lot more comfortable.
doku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #85 (permalink)

I realize this is an old thread but thought I'd weigh in on this one.
First, Heli makes great bar risers. I had them fitted on my 2011 Kawsaki Concours 14 and my 2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R. Now I DID remove them eventually from both, (with those a 5 minute affair), for the bulk of my riding simply because neither bike really needed them, but I can see where someone might opt for the subtle risers on the S1000RR.

For those who feel that it compromises the "pure race/sporting nature" of the bike I say baloney. The SThou has severe swept and lowered bars, much more so than say a CBR 1000 or even the Gen 4ZX-10R Kawi. I do NOT find the stock bars uncomfortable for any kind of riding short of those quick jaunts filled with one stop light after another. But then again, I don't ride this bike for that purpose. When I take the SThou out, it's a trip to get to the twisties, while using knees and core to stay off the bars. I'm as comfortable as you can be on a sport bike. So it's not about long touring, although I never take the BMW out for less than 200-250 mile runs). I have a sport touring bike for that. It's about better leverage and handling for STREET riding.

Someone already mentioned it, but to get the maximum performance from the SThou one has to ger really low, chest on the tank and head really low, which is of course the ideal track and I suppose severly aggressive street riding position. I do it all the time and enjoy every second of it. Having said that, and probably particularly after riding my new Triumph Street Triple R with the "sit up and beg" riding postion, it's apparant how nicely a bit of bar leverage is, without the extreme lowered postion, as you would be in on the track on the BMW, and forced to be in on the street, while not being concerned about what is around the next blind corner, staying within your turn lane etc.

Essentially it is not even close to any kind of radical naked bike bar height change, nor does it compromise handling on the street or likely the track, yet provides the kind of bar leverage, coupled with the same correct body positioning required to execute perfect turns, without having to get in the severely lowered chest to the tank position for aggressive curves. That isn't to say, they prevent you from getting in that position in any way. It just gives you more of an option.

For me aesthetics really do matter and I would not want something that changed the look of the aggressive race stance of the bike. IMO these bars don't and would likely not even be noticed by the eye unless they weren't stamped Heli on the base.

I don't own or have these on my bike and not even sure I will, again because I just haven't found the need, but the 200 mile ride yesterday morning on the Street Triple did make me consider for the first time if it wouldn't be a good idea to throw a set of these on the Bimmer.

"I have no idea. How fast was I going?"

Last edited by Jagman; 02-04-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Jagman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #86 (permalink)

Well Jagman,

I put about 2,500 miles on a 2012, all without Helibars, before I got my 2012 and I have about 3,000 on it, all with Helibars. I did not and do not find the OEM bars objectionable. Having said that, I and everyone who has compared the two including the salesman and the technician like the Helibars much better. Likewise no one has noticed the difference between bikes with and bikes without, including me.

I'm getting (I hope) an HP4 in March, and either the ones on my present bike will migrate, or I will buy new ones to install at 600mi.

I also had a ZX-14 with Helibars. Not much of a difference.

So I suggest that in spite of the relatively pricey cost of admission you get a set, I don't think you will regret it. Also HVMP is making those bar ends you and I discussed in powder coated black (like you wanted) even though they are not shown on their website. I'm getting a set for the HP4. Call them ask for Sue!

Cheers,

Curtis
cwcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcary View Post
Well Jagman,

I put about 2,500 miles on a 2012, all without Helibars, before I got my 2012 and I have about 3,000 on it, all with Helibars. I did not and do not find the OEM bars objectionable. Having said that, I and everyone who has compared the two including the salesman and the technician like the Helibars much better. Likewise no one has noticed the difference between bikes with and bikes without, including me.

I'm getting (I hope) an HP4 in March, and either the ones on my present bike will migrate, or I will buy new ones to install at 600mi.

I also had a ZX-14 with Helibars. Not much of a difference.

So I suggest that in spite of the relatively pricey cost of admission you get a set, I don't think you will regret it. Also HVMP is making those bar ends you and I discussed in powder coated black (like you wanted) even though they are not shown on their website. I'm getting a set for the HP4. Call them ask for Sue!

Cheers,

Curtis

Hey Curtis...yeah like I said, I seriously have never found the S1000 to uncomfortable for a sport bike. It's more about the potential for improved handling for the street with not quite as much need to go as low as I find it requires to get 100% leverage.
Also I was all hot on the HVMP's in black and have traded a few emails with Sue re: the availability of them in black, but honestly the ones I have on from Motovation have eliminated any real vibrations in the bars for me so not sure I'll order a set..but thanks for the headsup.

"I have no idea. How fast was I going?"
Jagman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #88 (permalink)

Default Heli bars installed

I bought this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1360023321.750516.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	11554

I didn't like 'em, so I sold the whole bike to this guy:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1360023382.350899.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	36.1 KB