BMW S1000RR Forum banner

2017 S1000RR HP claims

16K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  bennymx 
#1 · (Edited)
In its advertising around the World, BMW maintains that the 17 model has not lost power due to Euro 4, and the power output remains 199 hp at the crank.

However, there are several dyno vids, mostly via magazine shootouts, which suggests there has been significant power loss, perhaps by as much as 10+ rear wheel HP.

Here's what I've got so far:

1) Brentuning claimed their dyno had the 17 "soaring above" the 15 model https://brentuningmoto.com/?news=we-just-bought-a-2017-s1000rr-part-3. This appears to be an exception though.

2) Fastbikes conducted a dyno shootout, which showed a loss of 10hp from the 15 model (go to 3:50). To be fair this was not back to back. Total power was 177/8 at the rear wheel. It ate the Japs alive, but Aprilia was clearly king:

3) Visordown also conducted a dyno shootout with very different results. In this case, the 17 model made 175hp at the rear wheel, and was beaten by the Suzuki and matched by the Kawasaki. Strangely in most other shootouts the Beemer eats the japs in terms of outright power:

4) Most recently, a track day shootout conducted my Motorcycle.com. (Go to 8.00) rated rear wheel HP to be 177.1 hp:

5) And then there's this thread, which posts a link to the Seven Liter Bikes review, whereby the testers makes the 17 model out to be dying from asthma and by far the least powerful bike there (with about 192 at the crank)! Not sure if I believe this one.

So the evidence is stacking up that the 17 model has lost a mopeds worth of power than the previous year. Output seems to be around 175 to 178, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the 15/16 models were making about 185+.

I would love to see a back to back dyno, and side by side roll on tests, showing stock 17 versus 15/16 models. I've looked far and wide and so far no one has made any such videos. I've emailed BMW Australia and reached out for some more information on its HP claims...three weeks later I'm yet to receive a response.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm sure a difference of 7-8 hp is going to mean something to a world-class racer, but I doubt I could tell much difference between 178 hp and 185 hp. But your analysis is intriguing. However I would not expect you to get a response from BMW...what would they gain by answering your inquiry?

Is the '17 RR a "bust"? Hardly. The '13 RR I owned was "state of the art" at the time, but looks positively clunky compared to even the "degraded" 2017 iteration.

#6 ·
It has a giant underbelly cat. Of course it's down on power. The bike is rated up to 199hp at crank. People who think they are getting that at the wheel are believing dyno wizards. Just like the pre 2015 bikes you will have to throw a full system and get it tuned to get the same hp as the 15/16s because they were released with pretty much straight pipes.

#12 ·
Exactly...
People miss/ignore, subtle little words at times.
All the literature I've seen about the '17 always says something like ...powerplant capable of up to 199 Hp.
Sometimes it's followed by...and is fully EURO4 compliant.

Either way, it seems far short of claiming the power output has not changed, OR diminished. Indicative of truth in advertising, through carefully chosen grammar.

#7 ·
numbers, numbers

Those numbers seam inline with my experience. My stock 2015 made 174ish at the wheel after a slipon, filter, pcV, and dyno tune it put down 197hp to the wheel. If the 2017's are putting down 177hp stock after gaining those big euro4 exhausts then i'd have to agree with BMW they are still making 199hp at the crank at least.

Judging by my history those bikes haven't lost hp, they've managed to maintain it if not still gain a horse or 3.

you can easily do a search and my thread will come up with some dyno graphs if you need "visual" stimulation to reach your HP nut.:grin2:

#19 ·
I have gone from a 15 to 17 RR and I am just an average rider and I can feel the difference. The throttle down low is a little sluggish which feels like more to do with the throttle electronics. The first 1/4 turn is not as responsive, embarrassingly I even stalled at the traffic lights a couple of times on the 17. I wonder if BMW have reset the throttle to have a gentler progression to protect inexperienced riders from grabbing too much by mistake.

The top end is also not as rampant. It might only be down 6-10hp but even an average rider like me can feel the difference. Would it impact my times at the track - I doubt it.

Still a great bike ??

#20 · (Edited)
The top end is also not as rampant.
This is what I've been thinking. I've never ridden previous models so I can't compare, but something feels lacking up top. Mid range is amazing for an il4 super bike, in fact it's the main reason I bought the S1000RR over other models. Still a hard accelerating bike no doubt about it, especially from 9k, but there's something happening around the 12k mark that I cant explain. It's almost like it goes flat or the rate of acceleration caps off, and the explosive top end I keep reading about just aint there for me. The other week I had an opportunity to hold the first few gears wide open all the way to about 13500 to 14000 rpm, but the expected extra rush up top just didn't happen. Then again TC was blinking away (in Race mode) and the front end was pogoing

I see on the dyno vids there's some kind of dip around the 12k mark, so something could be going on with the ECU.

#30 ·
They are all restricted in top gear, around 11.5K, mine is a 2015, it made 184 before being mapped, with a slip on, after being mapped, it made 203.8 and the dip around 11.5K was gone.

The 2017 cat will be more restrictive than the '15/'16 inline cats, if you want the full power, fit a full system and get it mapped.

#31 ·
I think the horsepower/power curve issue really is more relevant to the track, than the street. And if you're tracking the bike, you're likely to have a full system on it anyway. For canyon-carving, it shouldn't be an issue, unless dynamometer bragging rights are important...

:grin2:

#37 ·
Have always run 36 42. Never had any grip issues. Maybe I would have more if i lowered them. Might wear the tyre out quicker too. More risk of a puncture. Most of my riding is twisty touring for 3 or 4 days. Longevity is key. Tyres have belts hanging out by 4th day. New from day 1. Did that to a set of rosso 2. So not really that soft either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.