BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Life of Spark Plug Ignition coil???

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  bennymx 
#1 ·
Hello All, Mine is 2013 which ran 7000 miles on track. Few days back 1 ignition coil stopped working. Is there any lifetime of coils like spark plugs? Can I change all coils or just 1 which is not working.

Thanks

#2 ·
My expectation of life on the coil packs would be at least 36k miles. That is the warranty on the S1KRR. Now, can a coil pack loose some spark output even before that, yes. If you could feel a misfire, and know for sure you have a bad ignition coil, then it needs replaced. If it is under warranty, BMW should cover it.

If you are replacing due to not being under warranty, then I would replace all 4. Murphy's law says if you replace one, the next one is not far behind needing replaced.

So, these things are on ebay with very low miles all the time. Average price is $115 shipped for all 4 coil packs. I would buy a full set and replace all 4. if you would like to buy a nice shiny new one from BMW it is 12 13 7 710 874 IGNITION COIL $179.86 for just one. Me, I would buy 4 from Ebay.

There is a special puller to remove the coil packs. I have never removed these from the BMW engine to date, but, I have removed about 15 engines worth of GSXR from 06-14. Some are easy to get out, some are not. Not much space in there to get those coil packs out. I am sure there are several people on this forum that have removed these while the engine was in the frame and can chime in on that experience.

#4 ·
i have a youtube video showing me removing fairings all the way down to valve inspection, which obviously includes removing coil packs with the tool

note, if you are replacing all 4 coils you don't need the $15 tool to remove them just pull out with pliers not caring if you damage the coils

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVFJvItq5oJtdnxBH6TsMCQ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.