Gas millage - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Gas millage

How many miles are you guys getting per tank?

When I am riding somewhat mild around town, the fuel light comes on roughly about 96 miles on the dash. But I am little puzzled by the tank 4.6 gal. capacity; It states that the reserve is 1.1 gallons and every time I fill up, it takes about 3.1. I don't fill up all the way to the top, I stop at the red rubber part, as I refer to it as a funnel/neck.. Anyone cares to comment on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 12:39 AM

Most of the times I fill up it shows 155 mi remaining, after 110-150 mile later I'm on empty gas light comes on, I don't think I ever went over that 155 mi mark yet, I keep a record every time I gas up.
With that said although I really want to find out how many mile a tank of gas can take me but running it dry is not a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 12:57 AM
BTB

Depends how you ride. It's pretty accurate on the high way but my fuel gauge will go from 250kms to 150kms in one 35km twisty section. Never ran it out and not really keen to.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 02:49 AM

This is crazy, I was just thinking of asking people about this & BOOM, it's here I'm getting around the same, sometimes I hit the 115 mile mark but rarely since I only ride on streets. I usually fill it up when there's like 15 miles left on it.

Curious though, do different modes consume different amounts of fuel? Like rain mode compared to slick mode or race mode?

2016 BMW S1000RR
2014 Yamaha R6
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 04:43 AM
BTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiyanMuscle View Post
This is crazy, I was just thinking of asking people about this & BOOM, it's here I'm getting around the same, sometimes I hit the 115 mile mark but rarely since I only ride on streets. I usually fill it up when there's like 15 miles left on it.

Curious though, do different modes consume different amounts of fuel? Like rain mode compared to slick mode or race mode?
They would when you're on it. If you're cruising down the highway though I doubt it.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

I forgot to add, when the lights comes on, it says around 35-37 mi to go before empty. I ride in slick, so roughly around 130 mi per tank i am assuming that this bike can go, give or take depending on the riding style. Seems about the same as my 08 r1 before it was modded.

what puzzles me is the fuel tank, it always fills up less then I am assuming. I guess the light was programmed to come on earlier than the reserve 1.1 gal. Logically If the light comes on when the reserve is reached at 1.1 gal. one would think that 3.5 gal. should fit the tank. But not the case with my bike. For example, I rode 17 miles after the light came on, and when I went to fill up, only about 3.1 gal. which leaves about 1.5 in the tank. Unless one is supposed to top it off to the cap.

So with this being said, I am estimating the light comes on approximately when 1.5 gal is left.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 10:48 AM

I get around 35 mpg in sport mode, riding in the canyons. Coming out of the mountains, going downhill most of the way, it can get as high as 45-50 mpg. I just plan on filling up when I get near 100 miles on the trip meter...no sense trying to get every drop before it triggers the fuel light. I seem to hit around 110-115 miles before the light comes on and find the "range" remaining is around 40 miles.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Lifetime Member

I average 45-46mpg and the low light comes on about 160mi. I rarely do any around town riding, it's canyons and highway, I don't thrash it but I ride it and the highway speed is usually about 80mph. I actually picked up 2-3mpg after I flashed the ecu.

2011 BMW S1000RR
2005 Honda ST1300a
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOG SLYR View Post
I average 45-46mpg and the low light comes on about 160mi. I rarely do any around town riding, it's canyons and highway, I don't thrash it but I ride it and the highway speed is usually about 80mph. I actually picked up 2-3mpg after I flashed the ecu.
i'm a bit incredulous with that claim, sure you didn't mistype and you actually get 35mpg?

my average is 30mpg mixed street and track
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 12:45 PM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash adams View Post
i'm a bit incredulous with that claim, sure you didn't mistype and you actually get 35mpg?

my average is 30mpg mixed street and track
I'm serious as a heart attack. As I said I don't thrash it. I used to have a Turbo Busa that I could get the gas millage in to the teens if I was having fun.

2011 BMW S1000RR
2005 Honda ST1300a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode