Who's ridden a newer RSV4? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Who's ridden a newer RSV4?

Just wondering who has ridden a 16 or 17 RSV4 and how it compares to the S1krr. It's fairly biased over at the AF1 forum.. if you go by that, the S1Krr is the most boring bike ever invented. I don't see how 199hp can be boring on any bike but whatever. I would be interested to hear thoughts from someone that has spent some time on both. I'm hoping to do a test ride at some point but the only dealer in Reno does not offer test rides so it's drive down to Sac for me.
velazcod likes this.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

2015 S1000RR
2014 KTM XCW300 Six Days
2009 GasGas TXT 280 Trials (sold)
2008 CBR1000 (track) for sale, pm if interested
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 12:24 PM

I know of couple of guys who own both Duc and RSV4, so you could find some straightforward answers in the Duc forum as well. Being an RSV4 owner myself, I know of folks who moved to S1KRR from RSV4. Try both and get a feel??

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudra View Post
I know of couple of guys who own both Duc and RSV4, so you could find some straightforward answers in the Duc forum as well. Being an RSV4 owner myself, I know of folks who moved to S1KRR from RSV4. Try both and get a feel??

Care to share your thoughts on the comparisons? I do plan to do a test ride but it's going to be a while before I can get down there and also even a test ride won't tell me the whole story unless I can spend several hours and get on some turns.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

2015 S1000RR
2014 KTM XCW300 Six Days
2009 GasGas TXT 280 Trials (sold)
2008 CBR1000 (track) for sale, pm if interested

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 12:42 PM

I've yet to ride one, but a close friend who was looking to trade his 2016 RR for the new RSV4 this weekend said it feels severely under powered in comparison. Specifically said a 3rd gear roll on from the S1K is more aggressive than a 1st gear roll with the RSV4.

Although he did mention it felt much more rigid/nimble. Lack of power is what steered him away.
renfin likes this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoebrian5 View Post
Care to share your thoughts on the comparisons? I do plan to do a test ride but it's going to be a while before I can get down there and also even a test ride won't tell me the whole story unless I can spend several hours and get on some turns.
I ride a 2013 ABS bike, good in handling compared to a Gixxer 1K 2012 I rode earlier. Good electronics and very forgiving, good for a novice reader like myself. Race ECU is a must to unleash the full power. I ride mostly on the track and there's a surge of power after 10K, when both the injectors open. Braking is phenomenal. Bike provides ample feedback at all instances.

2015 bikes made good power, which was lacking in the 2013/14 bikes. However there were some recalls that were made:
1. Wheel hub bolt became loose and needed tightening (I'm getting the terminology wrong, I guess - there's a sticky note in the forum iirc)
2. Exhaust valve had an issue, which was later sorted out
3. Interval of maintenance was shortened.

All Aprilia bikes need PADS to fix most of the ECU related stuff and PADS is arranged only with the dealer. Unlike other bikes, RSV4 gels well with Race ECU. Not many use the piggyback ECU like Bazzaz or PC V or Rapid Bike. That said the maps aren't modified by many (only experts do it and they know how to read/write Magneti Marelli ECU). Warranty is a strict void if you use a Slip-on without Race ECU. Akrapovic is supported with Race ECU.

Coming to the 2017 bike:
1. Forks and Shocks are TTX. However the shock isn't a TTX GP, which has a hydraulic preload adjustment.
2. Dash is LCD
3. Race ABS unit, 330mm brake rotors (same callipers though)
4. No more velocity stacks (it was a pain)
5. High compression ratio, does well with 97/99 octane fuel

No changes to the frame, swingarm. RR is a good VFM as compared to RF.

Do let me know if you want to know anything specific.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:16 PM
sro

First of all, I'm a huge fan of my HP4. I don't know what I would do if something happened to it. That said, I can see why some would say the S1000RR is boring compared to an Aprilia or a Ducati. These other bikes have personalities to go along with power. Both are torque monsters with great sound. Further, they look great. In the case of a Ducati, it has stuff we've been asking for.

It really depends on what you want out of a bike. BMW is tame but can deliver a punch. It's easy to ride.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:37 PM

Here's something for what it's worth:

I've ridden a 2016 RSV4, I think it was the Factory model, but I might be wrong.
There's a lot of upgrades on the 17 model, so I'm not sure you can really compare the 2.
Anyway, the RSV4 didn't 'feel' like it accelerated as hard as the BMW, it doesn't seem like there should be much difference, but definitely feels different.
I had the same feeling with the 2017 Panigale.

The RSV4 was easier to turn and felt lighter than the BMW, and it gave me a bit more confidence in the twistys.
That may mean my BMW just needs to be set up better.
I'm equally comfortable riding position wise on both bikes.

The RSVR has that Italian sexyness, and a V4, which I find kind of cool.
The upgraded electronics and bluetoothe interface are pretty cool.

In recent super bike comparisons I've seen the RSVR seems to be coming out on top, especially for the track.

I really don't think there's a whole lot of difference between the 2.
If I could trade my 2016 BMW straight up for a 2017 RSV4 RR I'd probably do it, mostly because it's always fun to have something new..
If it would cost my BMW plus say $3000, I'd just continue to enjoy the BMW.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 03:08 PM
z00

Rsv4 was my 2nd choice after the R1. If you go that route get the 17, it has some great upgrades. I rode a 16, the brakes and mid corner stability are sweet. But still a heavy bike IMO. I would go with base RSv4, forget about RF. For less money you can get better wheels and suspension.

If you have a dealer close to you, it's worth considering. The v4 provides best linear power among all liter bikes. My concern would be reliability and maintenance. My friend's rsv4 needed valve adjustment after 2k miles. Also, parts availability is a pain (average wait is 6 weeks on a part not available in stock). Main reasons I stayed away. It's Troy's Corser's #1 pick for 2017. RSV4 is meant for the track (just like R1). It's not a wise choice for the street IMO. RR is king on the street.
pimpedc6, bennymx, wfo439 and 1 others like this.

2015 s1000RR
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't ridin'
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 10:02 PM

My buddy just got a new 2016 RSV4 Factory.
We swapped all day in the canyons.
I loved it!
The chassis is amazing.
Just rock solid in the corners.
I can see why it's faster on the track in the shootouts.
I was faster on his bike than mine, after just a few minutes!

But although it had a better chassis, I think a lot of the difference was the suspension.
I thought my DDC was great, but I realize how much I miss good feedback.
The DDC definitely lacks some feel. Not something I really appreciated until I rode them back to back, cause on the street DDC is pretty nice.

I actually considered trading my bike in, but it would cost a lot, and I love my 6 year warranty.
So I'm keeping the RR, and getting her Ohlins. Hopefully that gets the beast back in race form.

I will say, in the non-twisties, the RR is nicer. More comfortable and smoother.
The RR has a better motor too. It was noticeably faster. So it really should be kicking ass.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 06:34 AM
BTB

My mate just traded his rsv4 for an R1M. Says he wouldn't have an S1000rr because it has no soul. I think if you brought a base RR and put ohlins gear in it instead of the DDC it would probably be just as good on track as anything. Well it actually is better then everything. We won superstock 1000 4 or 5 years since the bike was made. The R1 is yet to win.
jstilt and CYCLE_MONKEY like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode