BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Recommended pressure for K3 on track

16K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  smash adams 
#1 ·
Hello,

I will have my first track day in a week. My bike is equipped with Metzeler K3 tires, and I would like to hear your recommendations for pressure. I will be in the Novice group.

Thanks!
-Stan

#3 · (Edited)
It depends on temperature. I would do 34F, 36R as a start (cold). Also, check after each session to see if you need adjustments.

#5 ·
Run stock pressure at the track? Never heard that one before :D. IMO he should be running 5-10 psi lower, especially for a novice. I'd say that you should go with what z00 said. You should check your pressure before and after each track session so you get to know how much they inflate/deflate. Try to target mid 30's as you check them right off the track.

For reference, my S21's are also listed at 42psi by the manufacturer and I target 31-33psi on the track. I set them to 29psi on hot days and probably keep them at 31 on cooler days.

#6 · (Edited)
I'll say it again. He doesn't need to be checking pressures after every session to see if they need adjusting - how would he know which way to adjust? Being a novice, he could end up a LOT faster after a few sessions, and then the temps (pressures) will be out the window. You guys feed him all this data that he may not want to use on his first track day. Don't you remember your first track day?

On a side note, Dunlop recommends 32f/30r for the Q3's on the track, but I couldn't find any info from Metzeler for track use of the K3. Maybe z00's numbers will be ok.

Anyway, the OP can always ask the tire guy when he gets there.

#15 ·
I'll say it again. He doesn't need to be checking pressures after every session to see if they need adjusting - how would he know which way to adjust? Being a novice, he could end up a LOT faster after a few sessions, and then the temps (pressures) will be out the window. You guys feed him all this data that he may not want to use on his first track day. Don't you remember your first track day?
I would say that, yes, check/ adjust pressures before first session, and check tyre wear and pressures after every session.
Not because he needs to.
But because it will save a lot of money, when a rider learns to combine cold pressure, hot pressure and tyre wear (patterns).
If tyres look nice, then you do not have to adjust pressure.
If tyres do not look nice, then you have to adjust pressure.
And if you need to ask for help, it is very helpful if you can give pressure info to the "tyre guy".

#7 ·
I used the K2 front and K1 rear for the first time last race. The Metzler guy let me take a picture of the pressures. This was for Thailand, ambient temp would be around 38 degrees C

I didn't have track temp sorry. My warmers were set at 90 degrees C to I added 0.2 pound. The pressure off the warmers was spot on. No tearing at all for the 12 lap race.

I found the tire nearly virtually identical to the SC 2 I used before but I wasn't pushing for the race.

(PS - reason for changing was the price of Metzler was 60% cheaper than Pirelli and they gave me even more off because I agreed to wear their logo on my leathers - sweet!)

Attachments

#9 ·
Thanks to all who chimed in. I don't want to turn this into a piss contest. I understand skapan's recommendation to keep it simple, though I think I'd go lower than the street pressure of 38/42, to get some more grip. And yes, DOT street tires, no warmers, relatively slow, and possibly inconsistent speed. My question was mostly about how low can I go on pressure before I start having adverse effects.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Your tires are probably going to stay "cool" until you build up some speed and start cornering and braking harder. So you could start at 34 front and 40 rear, 2 pounds less than the manual says front and back. Yes you could go lower, but that assumes you're able to build about 3 pounds with adding heat to the tire as you ride. You don't mention your weight, but again probably not a big factor in novice as far as tire pressures. If there is a tire guy at the track, ask him what he thinks for your tires. Remember that these are street tires, so the super low rear pressures are probably not appropriate, and any less than 32 in the front you run the risk of denting the rim unless you can get a lot of heat into it.

I'm trying to keep it simple for you, the aim is to enjoy the day, not fret and stress about your setup. Have fun!

#11 · (Edited)
Attaching the document again with less compression. If not legible the information you need is cold (dead cold):

Rear: Min 23 max 26 psi
Front: Min 29 max 32 psi

If you rode to the track the tire is warm not cold. They won't be off warmers hot but you should consider adding 1 psi to the numbers above and you'll be close enough.

Some good comments in the posts above. Get out there and have some fun. Tell us how you go!

(edit to correct front pressure error)

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
FWIW, I just did my first track day via STT, and had similar questions. Was running stock Pirelli Supercorsa SP. I consulted with the resident expert tire tech at the Michelin tire trailer and he recommended 26R 30F. I was concerned about handling and he said these pressure are same they recommend on the equivalent Michelin product, and will allow for faster warm up. I started with higher pressure and this felt sticker much faster than the higher pressure. Remember you'll probably have 40 minutes between sessions (if STT) and your tire will get cold for practical purposes. The first lap is to get tires warmed up, which they did very well at 26/30. Not so much on the higher pressures. YMMV.....

#14 ·
I set the cold pressure to 23psi at the rear and asked the rider to ride, ambient temps were 28-29 deg celcius. It was tearing like this.
So I set the pressure to 27.5psi cold, and still it was wearing like this.
I believe the hot pressure gain was 2.5-3psi both times.
Is it a cold tear or hot tear? (Since it's beginning to curve in towards the center of the tyre)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.