Helmets & Carlos Checa WSBK (Spoiler) ?? - Page 3 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #21 (permalink)

Don't think it makes a difference. If it did they'd all have aero hump's on em so they could market that "little extra bit of safety," too. X-lite's are top helmets, and there have been plenty of people knocked out cold wearing any brand of helmet. So no, IMO it doesn't matter.
2005 ZX10R
2002 Aprilia Mille
2007 CBR600RR (the gf's)
MilleR Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #22 (permalink)

And on the subject of getting knocked out, it's not the force the head is subjected to but how it's applied. I got a concussion during a brawl once. Guy hit me just right and woke up to the emts standing over me. Wasn't even a big hit, I'd have dodged a haymaker. But then I've also been hit hard enough to be knocked clean off my feet, completely airborne. No loss of consciousness, blurred vision or anything.

Helmet is there to prevent brain damage from the transfer of kinetic energy and directional change of inertial forces. So you're brain doesn't slosh around too much in your noggin or suffer physical damage from something. Keeping you conscious I doubt is a priority since it's not like you really need to be. Helmet comes into play you're prolly already off your bike and it prolly isn't going anywhere anytime soon
kuroshio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to NJ1000RR
Default Helmets & Carlos Checa WSBK (Spoiler) ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
Spies largely designed the HJC he wears. So yeah, he likes it.
Dude, you really believe that?? "He helped Design" LOL)))) I defy you to find an article where it says He helped Design his Lid. Maybe they measured him a bit better, and he goes , "yeah it fits, "Now give me my Check" (in korean) but that's it.

:-/

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
NJ1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ1000RR View Post
Dude, you really believe that?? "He helped Design" LOL)))) I defy you to find an article where it says He helped Design his Lid. Maybe they measured him a bit better, and he goes , "yeah it fits, "Now give me my Check" (in korean) but that's it.

By no means do I have an opinion on HJC's top helmet, but here ya go... here's an article. Doesn't say how he helped but that he did HJC RPS-10 (Ben Spies) | Helmet Review | Ultimate MotorCycling
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000RR View Post
By no means do I have an opinion on HJC's top helmet, but here ya go... here's an article. Doesn't say how he helped but that he did HJC RPS-10 (Ben Spies) | Helmet Review | Ultimate MotorCycling
Bro, it's all about $$$$ and Marketing. Sheldon from Big Bang has more development experience than a Ben Spies.
It's for the Boy Racers who feel that if they buy a Ben Spies Helmet, they'll ride with there Elbows even lower than him.
"Hey Ben, say this and we'll sell more Helmets, and you'll make More Money....Deal ??"...Deal Pal, now if only I shoulda stayed in AMA, cause I can't keep up with These Moto-GP Riders.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #26 (permalink)

It's prolly a bit of both. Both money and preference. Spies, Rossi and Stoner can easily say "I want to wear your gear" and manufacturers will jump at the chance. Same way the manufacturer can say "we'll pay you obscene amounts of money to wear our gear" and the rider may jump at the chance.

But it's not a certainty. Using myself in an example, I only wear Dainese. Doesn't matter that A*s may be less expensive and just as good. My preference is Dainese and I pay out of pocket for it. If I were a professional rider if A*s was obscene enough with the amount offered, yeah I might switch. But only if I had a hand in the design process. It's still my body and I wouldn't switch just for cash. Just money, I'd take less money from Dainese 1st
kuroshio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #27 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Quote:
Bro, it's all about $$$$ and Marketing. Sheldon from Big Bang has more development experience than a Ben Spies.
It's for the Boy Racers who feel that if they buy a Ben Spies Helmet, they'll ride with there Elbows even lower than him.
"Hey Ben, say this and we'll sell more Helmets, and you'll make More Money....Deal ??"...Deal Pal, now if only I shoulda stayed in AMA, cause I can't keep up with These Moto-GP Riders.

Don't shoot the messenger... you wanted an article, I gave you one. No one is arguing how much input he had... but certainly had some input.

No one is arguing money either, those guys gotta make a living. But don't think for a second that they don't have confidence in what they're wearing

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!

Last edited by 1000RR; 02-26-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000RR View Post
Don't shoot the messenger... you wanted an article, I gave you one. No one is arguing how much input he had... but certainly had some input.

No one is arguing money either, those guys gotta make a living. But don't think for a second that they don't have confidence in what they're wearing
They/he should have confidence, it's a Snell 2010 Helmet, that he happens to get paid for to wear,,,,Whatta Life.

And His Input is about as much as any of us would put into a Helmet. Or any racer for that matter...

"Yeah it's a bit tight hear"
"It flows more air there"
"Maybe cut the cheek pad 1/8 inch"
"My number 11 is not big enough"

Now Pay me HJC

Old 02-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Quote:
They/he should have confidence, it's a Snell 2010 Helmet, that he happens to get paid for to wear,,,,Whatta Life.

And His Input is about as much as any of us would put into a Helmet. Or any racer for that matter...

"Yeah it's a bit tight hear"
"It flows more air there"
"Maybe cut the cheek pad 1/8 inch"
"My number 11 is not big enough"

Now Pay me HJC

You're a funny dude! You ask for something (an article), you're given what you've asked for - and you are still sitting there arguing.

Oddly enough no one is arguing with you that they don't get paid (sponsored) to wear and promote certain products. Just some of the subtleties centered around it.

Now back to your original purpose of this post (I think anyway)... the design of the air foil for protection... Answer: It's not there for protection, it's there for aerodynamics and prevention of buffeting.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #30 (permalink)

2000 Ducati ST4 (sold)
2010 S1000RR (sold)
2007 F800S (sold)
kismetcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement