S1kRR 'veer to the right' fix - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
S1kRR 'veer to the right' fix

Got some feedback from service tech on the veering to the right problem that is common on the S1kRR. The service techs at a local dealership put new tires on and found the rear axle was off - kinked at an angle.

They aligned it, and the bike does not veer at all now. I can feel the difference even with hands on bars. Handles way better now.
The bike was totally stock and untouched since factory when I took it in.

I only mention cuz when I first got the bike I researched the issue, and started another thread on it, and I saw a number of different ideas on what was causing the problem, but no one was confident on a solution..
Some said get a lighter exhaust (weight reduction on right side), some said there was something with the clutch (I think), and a few other myths/ideas.

The alignment adjustment did it for me.

Odd it came from factory like that.. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:40 AM
sro

Others have tried this with no success.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sro View Post
Others have tried this with no success.

Cool. Maybe there's a few this fix will apply to and help. Who knows.

It's such an annoying issue...

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:47 AM

I never noticed it on my 2015 - I have only ridden my 2016 once for 70 miles at the track - didn't notice anything.

Then again I don't take my hands off the bars - never use CC.

As far as the rear wheel alignment certainly if it is out of alignment that could cause or be part of the problem.

I use LighTech adjusters - they are extremely accurate. I have not put them on my 16 yet - I will next week when I change tires. Weather is cool here so I figured I run the stock tires the first few track days - plus I certainly am not ripping it up at the track with the rev limiter in place.

Bruce
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:58 AM

My 2016 didn't actually veer but it gave feed back it sort of wanted to, like an uneasy feeling with hands off bars, my friends 2016 does veer. I fitted Lightech adjusters & alined wheel myself, now bike feels rock stable with hands off bars zero strange feeling. What I did notice is the amount the swing arm needs to compress from it's natural position to clamp wheel, no other bike I have owned needed so many turns of axle nut once engaged hard surface to tighten all components together for swing arm to clamp.

To old to run, but not to old to ride!
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:56 AM

I could see how that would work but it didn't make a difference on mine. I have the Lightech axle adjusters and they are milliliter-accurate--I know because I measured the distance with a digital caliper. The only thing that made a difference was replacing the stock can with a Ti Yoshi. Steel veers a little bit though.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle734 View Post
I could see how that would work but it didn't make a difference on mine. I have the Lightech axle adjusters and they are milliliter-accurate--I know because I measured the distance with a digital caliper. The only thing that made a difference was replacing the stock can with a Ti Yoshi. Steel veers a little bit though.
My experience also. Alignment checked to the "nth" degree. Added lighter can, and it got better. Had my forks aligned...that also helped, as they were off. But, like yours, mine still has a little tendency, though I can ride hands-off if I place my right hand on the gas tank. At that point I can move my hand a little left or a little right and steer the bike with hands off.
CYCLE_MONKEY likes this.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyryder View Post
My experience also. Alignment checked to the "nth" degree. Added lighter can, and it got better. Had my forks aligned...that also helped, as they were off. But, like yours, mine still has a little tendency, though I can ride hands-off if I place my right hand on the gas tank. At that point I can move my hand a little left or a little right and steer the bike with hands off.

That sucks. I wonder if offsetting the alignment just a touch to the opposite is the fix for some?

I will say that when it did veer right, I thought it was only an issue when riding no hands. But now that it's 'cured', there's an improvement all around. So might be worth the offset attempt.

post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthad1 View Post
That sucks. I wonder if offsetting the alignment just a touch to the opposite is the fix for some?

I will say that when it did veer right, I thought it was only an issue when riding no hands. But now that it's 'cured', there's an improvement all around. So might be worth the offset attempt.

I wouldn't do an offset...that's just introducing more variables into the equation. The bike veers (slightly) due to weight distribution (at least that's purportedly what BMW has said), and the only fix then would be an exhaust that doesn't hang on the right, such as a Taylor Made; however, I've heard some negative comments about that exhaust, so it wouldn't be my choice. I don't find this issue troublesome, and that wasn't always the case. Lighter muffler...my recommendation.
CYCLE_MONKEY likes this.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyryder View Post
I wouldn't do an offset...that's just introducing more variables into the equation. The bike veers (slightly) due to weight distribution (at least that's purportedly what BMW has said), and the only fix then would be an exhaust that doesn't hang on the right, such as a Taylor Made; however, I've heard some negative comments about that exhaust, so it wouldn't be my choice. I don't find this issue troublesome, and that wasn't always the case. Lighter muffler...my recommendation.

I did the muffler idea first, as most have done. I got a 4.5 lb weight reduction on the right side with a new exhaust, and it changed nothing. I think most that have done this agree there is little to no improvement with this method, and therefore poor weight balancing from factory is not the culprit.

The only change was it took less input to counter the veering

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode