MY FIRST TIME! - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

MY FIRST TIME!

So I got my 2016 S1000RR 3 weeks ago today.

I haven't rode it at all, only 2 miles on the odometer.

I wanted to install the XPEL Ultimate Vinyl as well as radiator/oil guard before riding. Something I learned from the veterans on here

Sadly, I had to wait more than 2 weeks for the Evotech guards(no zip ties) to show up, installed them this past Monday.

Been super busy with college but finally the day as come.

I have all my gear out, the GoPros are all charged, cleaned out the SD cards, gave a big hug to the RR so it'll go easy on me.

I haven't ridden(R6) in almost a year & honestly, pretty nervous but in a good way.

I just wanted to write out this post for myself & maybe anyone else who would be interested in random thoughts of someone who is about to RIDE THE BEAST!

I'll update this thread further after I ride & get home safely

CYCLE_MONKEY likes this.

2016 BMW S1000RR
2014 Yamaha R6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:24 PM
sro

Welcome. Start in rain mode. You'll be fine.
SaiyanMuscle likes this.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:32 PM

Garage
Welcome!

Also, dont start in the rain
BTB, cogranda and SaiyanMuscle like this.

HP4

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sro View Post
Welcome. Start in rain mode. You'll be fine.
Agreed. The nanny controls will keep the front-end down.
Go have fun!

Thanks
John

2014 S1kRR w/ Helibars, Grip Buddies, Motovation Bar-ends, Stompgrip, Saddleman Sport, Garmin GPS Connector and GPS Nav IV, Razor Tow Hooks, Razor Engine Protectors, Razor No-Cut Sliders, Razor Axle Sliders, Powerlets Fore and Aft, Motodynamics Fender Eliminator and Rear Signals, Gregg's Front Signals, Gilles (BMW) Levers, Attack Performance Rearsets

2012 R1200RT w/ Russell Day Long Seat, Grip Buddies, Garmin GPS Nav IV, Top case, GS mirrors, Valentine 1, Razor Axel Sliders
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:46 PM
Vendor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiyanMuscle View Post

Sadly, I had to wait more than 2 weeks for the Evotech guards(no zip ties) to show up, installed them this past Monday.
Welcome aboard. If you knew the reason behind radiator guards which use zip ties you wouldn't waste your money and your time waiting on the Evotech's.

Respect the machine, it is not intimidating at all, just take it easy and you'll have tons of fun on it.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:16 PM

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:25 PM
BTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by purcellj View Post
Agreed. The nanny controls will keep the front-end down.
Go have fun!
Race mode also keeps the front down
///MCoupe likes this.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to Xtremsiege2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB View Post
Race mode also keeps the front down
Yes..but like sex, its better to start with something less.. experienced?

Insert 40 year old virgin meme.

///Xtremsiege2
2016 BRR s1000rr Premium
2013 BS s1000rr fully loaded! 17k miles. SOLD
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:39 AM
BTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremsiege2 View Post
Yes..but like sex, its better to start with something less.. experienced?

Insert 40 year old virgin meme.
Haha or an older woman saying "boy you gonna learn today"
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Wow.

It was amazing!! I can't compare it to my R6 since it's been like a year since I rode BUT this...this thing is a BEAST!!

Believe it or not, I forgot the bike even had modes. I had such a blast in 'Rain' mode that I thought THIS was the bike's full potential. When I got home & a midst a passionate hug between us, I realized that I was in 'Rain' mode the entire time. I felt so happy because I haven't even ridden it in 'Race' or 'Sport' mode, can't wait!! It was truly something else. German engineering, right? I kept hitting the rev limiter but that was a good thing since it was keeping me in check. Sadly, I did stall once but it wasn't entirely my fault. 2 factors: it was after an arm day so my forearms were already toasted & I had soooooo much trouble finding neutral, it was to the point that I had to just hold the clutch in 1st at traffic lights.

A few thoughts:
-Like I mentioned above, NEUTRAL was IMPOSSIBLE to find. I wear Alpinestars SMX-6 boots which do make it difficult to find neutral sometimes + I haven't used them since I last rode(around 1 year) so I had to get used to the clunky big boots but I felt that I was comfortable with the boots in like the first 10 minutes of riding. I believe I read on here that finding neutral gets easier since the bike needs to 'break-in' because it's brand new. All in all, neutral hates me & I hope our relationship gets better as time passes cause I love her..I need her. Any suggestions?

-Since I couldn't find neutral, I was using the clutch during stops & let me tell you, it's a hard pull. Regarding this, I also read on here that it'll loosen up as I put more miles on her so not that worried about it. Although, I am going to swap out the levers since I'm used to using 2 fingers to operate the levers & also used to shorty levers(ASV) like on my beloved R6. I love the ASV levers like crazy because of their amazing performance on my R6 BUT not many people on here share the same thoughts regarding ASV.. I'm most likely going to go with ASV on the S1000RR with a slight chance of maybe getting the HP levers. Any suggestions or thoughts?

-So the quickshifting is amazing!!! Just flying through the gears. Full throttle with one hand & using the other hand, that I usually use to shift with, to flex on everyone I pass + add in the auto-blipping & it's like having a threesome with hot twins, one with a killer balcony & the other with a killer backyard BUT BUT, I did notice that upshifting from 1st to 2nd gear was a little jerky but again, I'm gonna say that the bike needs to 'break-in' still so that's why things are so stiff, right......right?

Below is one picture, yes....just one picture because that's all I could take...because I wanted to just get back on it &&&&&&& RIDEEEEE!

smash adams likes this.

2016 BMW S1000RR
2014 Yamaha R6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode