Ceramic coating headers - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Ceramic coating headers

Hey guys, new guy here with a couple questions. I just recently picked up a '15rr and I really like everything about the bike, except that it throws off a lot of heat. Not a big problem when I'm in my leathers, but when I'm in my jeans and jacket, it starts to get warm real quick. The frame heat isn't the issue, its the radiant heat that seems to be vented onto my left leg. I've been reading everything I can about ways to mitigate it and I read that ceramic coating the headers has been said to help a lot, but it was only 1 or 2 people, so I'd like to hear from some others who have actually done it. So far I've wrapped the exhaust, and built a heat shield for the cat, but neither of them has had any real impact. Considering the header wrap hasn't helped, I'm hesitant to spend the money on ceramic coating, but I've never used it before so idk. Thanks in advance.
RR1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:54 PM

Remove the cat and you will notice it improves. The cover makes it worse.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:33 PM

Garage
To take a page out of Benny's comment book..: Go faster and dont get stuck in traffic
bennymx, BTB, Bobby Johnny and 1 others like this.

HP4

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:44 PM

Location: San Franpsycho, Thunderhill, Sonoma Raceway, Redwood Road, Hwy 9, Hwy 1
Garage
I just went through removing the cat on my '16. I too like every other '15-'16 owner has experienced the insane heat on my left leg/foot. After installing my full system—no more heat. No need to get your header coated—that won't help. Look for a mid-pipe from Dan Moto or get a full system or get a shop to fab a mi-pipe for ya.
bennymx likes this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:25 PM
Vendor

Garage
Did someone say full exhaust? https://www.motomillion.com/collecti...00rr-2015-2017

On a more serious note, do you people who complain about the heat wear full gear when you ride? If I ride without riding boots I feel like my ankles are raosting, but with the riding boots on, no heat at all.
ArmySam84 likes this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimster View Post
To take a page out of Benny's comment book..: Go faster and dont get stuck in traffic
This (or full leathers) will fix any heat issues. It`s autumn and still on the warm side, but she runs between 83 deg C and 85 deg C at speed. Just avoid that low gear, stop and go stuff and you will be okay.

Giddy up!
2015 Premium w/ SC Project CR-T

Last edited by D.Clocktower; 04-20-2017 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Typo
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:18 PM

If you wear shorts you can get a mad tan on your left leg.

cyclesailor955, BTB and ArmySam84 like this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Johnny View Post
No need to get your header coated—that won't help. Look for a mid-pipe from Dan Moto or get a full system or get a shop to fab a mi-pipe for ya.
Ceramic coating DOES help, but you can't do the inside because of the cats, and if you have to remove the pipe you might as well just do a full system and delete the cats.

The Jet-Hot coating and Thermo-Tec wrap I did on my V&H race pipe on my old '86 Gixxer 1100 took a TON of heat out of the engine bay. Plus the coating protects the inside from erosion and keeps the exhaust hot to promote better scavenging. If I ever get a full system for mine, I'm going to do both again.

2015 Motorrad S1000RR with the DDC and "Forgies"
------------------------------------------------------------
"Hangin's too good for 'im.....BURNIN'S too good for 'im.......he should be torn into itty-bitty pieces and BURIED ALIVE!"
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Johnny View Post
I just went through removing the cat on my '16. I too like every other '15-'16 owner has experienced the insane heat on my left leg/foot. After installing my full system?no more heat. No need to get your header coated?that won't help. Look for a mid-pipe from Dan Moto or get a full system or get a shop to fab a mi-pipe for ya.
I wasn't planning to put a full exhaust on this bike, but if it brings the heat down to a tolerable level, I'm all about it. I had heard that the frame got hot, but I wasn't overly concerned about it since all my bikes frames have gotten hot, but when I'm riding around it feels like all the hot air vents onto my legs which no bike I've owned has done that. How much of a difference did it make for you? I'm coming from a '12 zx10r, and other than being stuck in traffic, I rarely felt any heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMillion View Post
Did someone say full exhaust? https://www.motomillion.com/collecti...00rr-2015-2017

On a more serious note, do you people who complain about the heat wear full gear when you ride? If I ride without riding boots I feel like my ankles are raosting, but with the riding boots on, no heat at all.
When I'm in my 1 piece, it's not really an issue, but I only wear my suit on the weekends when I'm doing some spirited riding in the twisties, or when I do the occasional track day. The rest of the time I am commuting to and from work, or running errands and I'm in my normal clothes.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:58 PM

Location: Home in Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur. Work in KL, Singapore and Jakarta.
Yes - I coated mine.

I have a 2015 and found the bike unbearably hot in traffic and simply unable to cool when running slower than 70 kph due to heat soak into the frame, etc (Bangkok). Worse, the bike wouldn't stay under 105 degrees celsius on track.

I deleted the cat to try and cool things down with no noticable impact on engine temps or radiated heat. Frankly, did nothing for me. At 115 degress the warning light comes on... so it should!! (Had it happen 2x on track when pushing)

I took the headers off and had them ceramic coated on the outside by a local turbo shop (done in house, took about 5 a week to clean them and coat them - it was the hot flame coat method, white which they said was the best). Got it done from the collar down to the link pipe.

At the same time I really spent a lot of time cleaning my radiator fins. More than the normal high pressure cleaner, I used a very soft toothbrush and got "right in there". Noticed a little bit of grit on the brush, no noticable blockage.

Anyway, after I got the headers back and fitted I got about 10 degrees cooler track temperatures. The bike also cooled much faster in traffic and the fan could hold the temp at around 103-105 degress if I was stuck not moving. That said, I still went up to 103 on the track when pushing really hard - but previously it would be 112 or higher!

What I noticed other than the immediate 10 degree drop in temperature was the frame does not get hot like before. The bike is pure track now but before the frame would be too hot to touch. Now its warm, but certainly not hot.

In short - YES it stops the frame heat greatly. If you are in a hot climate this is a very good investment.

Please note that most Thai riders will put the carbon fiber guards on to reduce the heat on the legs. That wasn't an option for me as I needed to keep the temps down while track/racing. I was constantly short shifting to keep the revs under 10k and stop overheating late in a race.

The only warning I would have is the ceramic coating is really brittle. I've had a small chip come off where it was bumped when removing my fairing one day. This is going to create a hot spot on my header and eventually lead to a failure. I'm not worried about that as I think this would take a few years and I won't keep the bike forever but its something to be mindful of. Plus the coating seems to attract any sort of discolouration it can find, so don't go the full pipe to the slipon or you'll get some shocking ugly stains. I found to the link perfect for me, hidden but effective.

Lastly, I WOULD NOT PUT IT ON TITANIUM HEADERS. I think the extra heat caused by the coating could potentially destroy titantium headers due to the heat build up. That's just based on my understanding that titanimum is fickle with heat and can turn very brittle. I have stainless headers (Akra). You can really see how hot it gets when you take a look at the point past the ceramic coating after a hard track session... its obviously cooking!

Best of luck!

HP4 2013 - road
S1000RR 2015 - race bike
S1000XR 2016 - street
CBR600RR 2008 - track
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode