Someone stole my plate... again - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Someone stole my plate... again (and I made a new plate mount)

Well, someone stole my license plate...again. This is the second time in a year.

They didn't just take the plate each time, they cracked off the fender eliminator and took that too (or rather part of it). I had the NRC eliminator with the LED light attached. They cracked off the holder with a screw driver and yank on the LED power cable until it ripped out. So now I have to find the voltage+amps supplied and hack in a new plate light. I can fabricate a holder.

I didn't notice until yesterday, so I have no idea when it happened. Either at work, or at my local park which is crowded with people. I only ridden to both of those locations once this year. I kept my garage open for 15 minutes while I went shopping, so a neighbor could have saw and decided to be an anus. I am respectful and not loud.... Also I never piss people off on the road by splitting or whatever.

Could be someone who just wanted the plate to run on a stolen bike, but then why not unscrew the plate...

Just ranting. No other damage done to the bike.

EDI: made a new mount
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fe_cut.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	172233   Click image for larger version

Name:	fe_painted.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	172241   Click image for larger version

Name:	fe_mounted.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	172249   Click image for larger version

Name:	fe_Show1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	172257   Click image for larger version

Name:	fe_show2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	172265  

Last edited by TapeWormInYourGut; 04-27-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:14 AM

Ugh so sorry brother. I know how this feels, my sympathies to you. Hurts when a fellow human does something like this to you.
5150 Pops likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:53 PM

Garage
Sorry man! Is there anything special about your plate? aka OU812

Is this common in your area? Never heard of it in PA (outside of the cities).

Thanks
John

2014 S1kRR w/ Helibars, Grip Buddies, Motovation Bar-ends, Stompgrip, Saddleman Sport, Garmin GPS Connector and GPS Nav IV, Razor Tow Hooks, Razor Engine Protectors, Razor No-Cut Sliders, Razor Axle Sliders, Powerlets Fore and Aft, Motodynamics Fender Eliminator and Rear Signals, Gregg's Front Signals, Gilles (BMW) Levers, Attack Performance Rearsets

2012 R1200RT w/ Russell Day Long Seat, Grip Buddies, Garmin GPS Nav IV, Top case, GS mirrors, Valentine 1, Razor Axel Sliders

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Nothing special about the plate. I think it was just some degenerate who did it to be a dick. Cleveland,OH and the surrounding area is just....kind of garbage people. They like to scratch cars having temp tags too. I'll get into work early and park it by a window near my desk next time.

I filled out a "stolen plate" form at the BMV and they gave me a new plate for $8.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:28 PM
sro

Some squid stole it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 03:56 PM

Damn that sucks.

-Now you should put a new NRC & license plate back on.
-Then take your bike back to all the places it might have happened.
-Oh, also bring a baseball bat & a lawn chair.
-Sit a few dozen yards away & then wait patiently..
-You'll know what to do next ;D

2016 BMW S1000RR
2014 Yamaha R6
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 06:52 PM

When I got my first bike, a Honda CBR600, back in 2007 I found the plate missing twice. I thought someone was stealing them until I realized that they were actually falling off. The vibration of the bike was loosening the screws until the plate fell off. I got a third plate and used Loctite this time and never lost a plate again.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropole View Post
When I got my first bike, a Honda CBR600, back in 2007 I found the plate missing twice. I thought someone was stealing them until I realized that they were actually falling off. The vibration of the bike was loosening the screws until the plate fell off. I got a third plate and used Loctite this time and never lost a plate again.
I installed the license plate on my new KTM today. The screws and nuts are made of plastic. The can be unscrewed by hand no matter how tight. Plastic cement that melts the nut on. Just like the bike, if they really want it, they will get it.

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:14 PM

I can't help it, I've just got to ask.

Are you sure you didn't lose the plates due to suspension compression - like running over speed bumps?
Any pictures of your mount before they were stolen?

I just can't get my head around why anybody would crack off a tail tidy just to get a plate - twice.

Serial collector?

------------------------------------------------
#2 at my dealer, and #1 Acid Green in WA St.
On the street - 2/5/10.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The fender eliminator was cracked off each time. I have the NRC FE. The first time, just the rectangular plate bracket was ripped off. It was at a weld, so I originally thought a rock. I now think that someone stole it due to this second event. I was able to build the damaged part with some home depot hardware.

With this second theft, only the turn signal plate is remaining, hanging on by 1 screw. The hinged contraption that holds the plate was cracked off (and not on a weld). It was definitely vandalism. There is also a bunch of scratches under the tail, I suspect from a pry-bar. It looks like someone cracked the plate mount off, but could not remove the FE completely due to the plate light's wires. They then removed a screw to access those wires and ripped it off. I don't think that people want the plate because they can just unscrew it. I think people did it both times to be a jerk. Cleveland is notorious for being a city of trash.

I am fabricating my own fender eliminator and I purchased a $10 plate light from ebay. I will post pictures of the mount that I come up with, which will be above the rear hugger.

Last edited by TapeWormInYourGut; 04-23-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode