First Ride - Engine Management Light - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

First Ride - Engine Management Light

Yesterday was my first ride with the new RR. I had only started it back in January to run some fuel stabilizer in it.

So I start it up - the engine management light is solid on - no throttle - well isn't this just great - I know what that means - safe mode.

Turned it off re-started it - light is out - I have throttle.

Rode it about 30 miles stopped to take a break - re-started without issue.

One thing I noticed and don't know if it is related or not - I had set the suspension parameters before I got there.

Now the bike is brand new - new fiberglass - different setup than my 2015 - it felt really stiff - a few corners the front end really didn't feel good.

But I am running the stock tires - figured why not - temps are on the cool side and I'm rev limited so I may be okay with them.

When I checked the settings they had all gone back to factory "0". I reset the suspension and the bike was much better.

I stopped again and again started and ran fine.

Will touch base with my dealer this morning and see what they think.

Have a track day this Sunday I hope this does not screw me up?

When I bought my 2012 RR the day of delivery - while loading the bike in the delivery truck the ECM died. Dealer called me to say I would not be getting the bike that day.

Took a week to get an ECM from Germany - bike ran great for the entire time I owned it.

Maybe this bike and my 2012 are cousins?

Will keep you posted.

Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:47 AM

Fascinating...keep us posted, Bruce...and good luck. Hope you make the track day.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:03 PM

I would change the oil and filter at 30 miles, using the same type of oil as what it comes from the factory in case there are break in additives. Then I would change it again at 100 miles and then 300 then the 600 and then you are good to go.

As far as the engine management light goes, I am crossing my fingers that it is just your brain playing tricks on you since it happened with your 2012!

Edit: did you have it hooked up to a battery tender while it sat for three months?

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash adams View Post
I would change the oil and filter at 30 miles, using the same type of oil as what it comes from the factory in case there are break in additives. Then I would change it again at 100 miles and then 300 then the 600 and then you are good to go.

As far as the engine management light goes, I am crossing my fingers that it is just your brain playing tricks on you since it happened with your 2012!

Edit: did you have it hooked up to a battery tender while it sat for three months?
Well I can't change it at 30 miles because I did 70 miles at the track yesterday. To my knowledge BMW does not use break in oil or any additives for break in.

I used to do the early oil changes just like you stated - these days I've gone to changing the oil anywhere between the first 100-200 miles and then let the dealer do the 600 mile service. Then every 4 track days oil and filter.

So I called my dealer at 8:45 a.m. this morning told them what had happened - told them I was hoping to go to the track this weekend(which now the weather is looking bad so it may get cancelled) asked them if they could possibly take a look at it.

I have been doing business with Max BMW since 2004 - their response was as soon as you get it here we will put a tech right on it.

Well I arrived there at 9:40 a.m. and by 9:45 a.m. my bike was hooked up to their computer. To make a very long story short - the bike had several codes - the tech could make the codes come back when moving certain connectors.

He thought it was a bad connector - but that proved to not be the case. He ended up checking the entire wiring harness - all connectors - checked out the air box - re-set every parameter for every sensor on the bike - reset the fly by wire.

After all of this the bike stopped coding - did he actually find anything - no - is it fixed - maybe - if it codes again - he will open a Puma case and he said most likely BMW is going to have him replace the harness and ECM - based on prior bikes doing this.

He spent a little over 3 hours on the bike - he told me if he actually had found a problem he would have had the parts in a day or so and would have finished the repair so that I could make it to the track this weekend.

I can't ask for better service than that.

He was very honest he said it was a 50/50 chance that I'm good to go.

And all my bikes are always on C-TEK battery tenders.
smash adams and wfo439 like this.

Bruce
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:36 PM

Never seen this problem before. Very time consuming inspecting a wiring harness. BMW will want a concrete answer or a culprit found before throwing a harness at it.
smash adams and BruceV like this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:39 PM

The dealer certainly did everything in their power to fix your issue for the upcoming track day. It pays dividends to make friends with the local dealers. Hope you get to ride this weekend with no issues!

I have yet to purchase a bike at SJ BMW but they have done most of the work on my my HP4 track bike. A track day at Sonoma was cut short after the Rapid Bike, IRC blipper install. ( EDR performed this work) The bike died on the track and wouldn't restart. SJ BMW service was booked two weeks out. The GM was able to sneak the bike in and out in time to make Laguna the following weekend.
smash adams and BruceV like this.

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:52 PM

What a bummer! At least you have the dealer on your side and there is 50% chance you are good to go!

I assumed as much with the battery tender, just looking for an easy answer
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:56 AM

Garage
If its only done it once give it the benefit of the doubt and move on. There is no way on earth I would dedicate any time in my profession on a a probable glitch that I can't reproduce. Check Test Serv. Send it flying

2015 S1000RR
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:10 AM
z00

Sorry to hear Bruce! I hope the bike does ok at the track.

I would be careful though. Some thing might be up with electronics to be throwing codes like that. My bike shifted funny the first day I bought it new, at 30miles it required shifter bearings replaced.

2015 s1000RR
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't ridin'
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca_779 View Post
If its only done it once give it the benefit of the doubt and move on. There is no way on earth I would dedicate any time in my profession on a a probable glitch that I can't reproduce. Check Test Serv. Send it flying
It only did it once for me. When at the dealer yesterday as soon as they cleared the codes several came back.

As I said they could not say they fixed the problem - they chased the entire wiring harness - maybe a loose connector - don't know. And then reset everything - I could be good to go and that would be great.

Like anyone I don't want to lose riding time - in my case it only goes on the track - any machine can have a problem at any time - I would be a little more than aggravated if I'm traveling to an event and I don't run because of this.

It would have been great if they actually found something and could confidently say they fixed it.

It will get resolved if it happens again I just hope it happens on the last session of the last day of an event as I'm pitting in.

Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode