Snowmobile or cargo trailer - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
z00

Snowmobile or cargo trailer

I did my research and narrowed it down to below options:

1- Snowmobile trailer Avalanche Trailers Snowmobile Trailers by Lightning
It's super light, but a bit wider than I like, and height is only 5'2". $3500 delivered.

2- Cargo Alum trailer Cargo Trailers Cargo Trailers by Lightning
They only have 6x12 in stock, I wanted 6x10 so my M3 won't struggle with it. For reference I'm currently hauling a 6x10 open steel trailer (curb weight ~900lbs). M3 handles it fine but would like to keep the weight and size reasonable. $3990 delivered. 6x10 is $200 cheaper but I need to wait for a month on one.

Any pros/cons on either option for an enclosed light trailer? Which one makes more sense for the track?

2015 s1000RR
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't ridin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:24 PM
sro

6x10. You'll want the extra space.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:10 AM

The snowmobile trailer uses those tiny donut wheels. Ugh. The 6x10 uses at least 14 inch wheels, a much better choice IMHO. And you'll really miss the height if you go the snowmobile route.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:03 AM

Cargo trailer for sure.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
z00

Ok, thank you guys!

2015 s1000RR
>10K club president.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:02 PM

USED IRONHORSE TRAILER!!! I found it rides smoooooth, cuts through the wind, gives great gas mileage and I can haul it with 2 bikes and gear using a 6 cylinder car. GOOD LUCK YOU WILL LIKE IT!!!!
z00 likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:21 AM

Garage
Thoughts on using the Sprinter Van?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
z00

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjindra View Post
Thoughts on using the Sprinter Van?
I wanted something light to haul with my M3. I prefer not to get a dedicated vehicle for just hauling my track bike. Math did not add up money wise (insurance, depreciation, etc...).

@frankrca I did find a used IRONHORSE 2h away for $5k (prob worth $3k), it weighs 855lbs (very close my options above), much less space than other options. And way more expensive.

It sucks that cargo trailer does not have a ramp. I'm trying to get one with a ramp made, but it will take months.
Snowmobile single sled comes with 15" wheels, dual sled comes with 10". Maybe @the_gooch knows this hobby too well, open MT3 light trailer seems like the best option. But it sucks when it rains and I cannot leave my stuff in it overnight.

2015 s1000RR
>10K club president.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
I wanted something light to haul with my M3. I prefer not to get a dedicated vehicle for just hauling my track bike. Math did not add up money wise (insurance, depreciation, etc...).

@frankrca I did find a used IRONHORSE 2h away for $5k (prob worth $3k), it weighs 855lbs (very close my options above), much less space than other options. And way more expensive.

It sucks that cargo trailer does not have a ramp. I'm trying to get one with a ramp made, but it will take months.
Snowmobile single sled comes with 15" wheels, dual sled comes with 10". Maybe @the_gooch knows this hobby too well, open MT3 light trailer seems like the best option. But it sucks when it rains and I cannot leave my stuff in it overnight.
You could rid yourself of your 4 wheeled hotrod, then you'll find a whole new set of economical options.

2015 KTM SDC 1290R
2015 S1000RR - DDC
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
z00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 Pops View Post
You could rid yourself of your 4 wheeled hotrod, then you'll find a whole new set of economical options.
Not an option. I spent 2 days installing a euro hitch and wiring it. I can haul my MTB easily with bike hitch adapter. My M3 is way too practical and fun to replace it with anything else. Only alternative is X5M or Cayman, so I end up with $50k on top of my M3. I would rather spend few thousands on a trailer

I was considering replacing M3 with a Ford Raptor. But I did not like it as my daily driver coming from an M car. While I don't mod or as passionate about cars now, but I do appreciate a practical fun car as my DD.

The fiberglass trailer you found in Atlanta was perfect, too bad seller was inpatient and sold it to someone local.

2015 s1000RR
>10K club president.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode