Seeking experience with Sprint P08 filtration - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

Seeking experience with Sprint P08 filtration

Hey
I was wondering if some of you on the forum had put some miles on your Sprint filter (P08), and could tell about your experience with the filtration?
I have one myself, and after reading many tests and also being adviced by Brentuning I bought one for the gains. (running Alpha-N).
Last year after running 3500 miles I would clean the Sprint filter, and I noticed a fine "coating" of dust inside the airbox. A kind of dust you can feel between your fingers.
The filter seemed to be seated ok in the airbox, not letting any false air through, so I am a little surpriced about the dust!!
At the moment I am driving with the OEM again until this is cleared up, for the sake of my valves and piston wear.
I have tuned/driven many bikes using KN, BMC and MWR filters and have never noticed this lack of filtration before.
I hope that you can prove otherwice, because this seems a bit odd!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 08:29 AM

Did you see this thread when you searched? Anyone using Sprint Air Filters
Do you know if you have the "street" or "race" version?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Hey Skapan
I have the "street" version (P08).
Yes I have trolled the forum for any comments about the filter, but i was looking for a kind of "long time" testing/review
of the filter. I haven't read about how many miles they have driven before cleaning the filter.
I have no doubt that the filter makes more power, but the question is at what cost!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 04:31 PM

I would take some pictures, and send them to Bren. Maybe they have some knowledge, or perhaps you drove through a lot of concrete dust? At any rate, I like that you went back to the stock filter.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 04:54 PM
z00

I clean mine every 3500miles when I change the oil.

Ensure that filter is installed in the correct direction, and filter housing tabs are sealed correctly. I have seen it few times when people just drop filter housing thinking it's sealed snug, but it's not. Also small piece that goes before the filter housing has tabs that require to be inserted correctly.

2015 s1000RR
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't ridin'
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

That was my first thought that it was not sealed correctly all way round the airbox. I am aware of the tabs in the bottom of the housing (especially after using MWR filters for a couple of years) It seamed that the Sprint filter fitted much better than the MWR. But I was thinking maybe after having closed the filterhousing with the upper clamps it could twist the filter a bit around the egde. The frame of the filter is wery soft you know. (just a thought)

To skapan, I have bought the filter here in Europe, but is running with the Brentune flash. (Alpha-N) I am going to the dyno in about 14 days using a PC5 on top of the flash to fine tune the AFR to our envioment here in Denmark. And yes it can be done, but only on top on the new Alpha-N flash (Bren's word!) Therefore I would really like to clear this up with the Sprint filter, so I could use it again. Getting the full potential out of the bike!

But z00, you havent noticed something like that after 3500 miles when you clean your filter?

By the way z00, Still running with the TITAX rims, just fighting a little bit with the alignment between front and rear sprocket. Maybe I will make some new distance pieces for the rear. (I have alligned the front wheel already)
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 01:16 PM

Garage
After seeing this thread I decided to open my air box up and inspect my P08, not good...

I don't have too many miles on this filter, but I'm glad I looked inside. Dust, more than I wanted to see so I wiped it out and reinstalled the OEM filter. YES I broke the fricken gray push tab rivet mother f&*^*er with the slightest of force, came out easy the first time so who knows.

I blew out the P08 with my compressor under a fluorescent light to see how much dust the the sprint filter actually trapped. Not much dust came out of it which tells me that it doesn't filter much and won't be returning to the airbox...

Yes it was installed correctly, no there were no leaks. Look at the dust pattern its dead center in the box with zero dust around the edge seal.. I should have known, I hate K&N and now I hate sprint!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170414_093817.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	170433   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170414_094947.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	170441  

Last edited by IronMaidenJapan; 04-14-2017 at 01:19 PM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Ironmaidenjapan!!
Now I hopefully don't seem like a grumpy old mann!!
I didn't take pictures of my airbox with the dust in it (that was a mistake). The dust in your airbox looks similar to the way the dust builds up in mine. Sadly mine was much worse.
I really wanted this filter to work, because it is much easier to work with/ change than the MWR. I have no doubt that this filter makes more power than others, but maybe after all this filter belongs at the track.

Please take your time to look into your airbox to give you peace in mind, but if you look for max power no matter at what cost this might be the filter for you.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 03:50 PM

Well there goes my ignorant bliss

I have a p08 also. It's been in around 2-3k miles. Imma have to check it Monday now.😕

Wife- every Asian man who owns a store is not named Mr. Lee

Me- lol.....damn your right.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 04:01 PM

Im just getting ready to install my new sprint filter this weekend! What a bummer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode