BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Has anyone had a 17 s1000rr airbox open

7K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  DropD 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Holy trumpets Batman! I just did an air filter replacement on my '15 and it didn't have all that nonsense, just a huge square inlet, the way God intended! :)

#5 ·
Can it be removed? That's pretty annoying. Why does not BMW sell a track-only bike? I would buy one in a heartbeat.

#12 ·
They've spent years increasing airbox size just to knock it down.
They didn't decrease airbox volume noticeably with that, it was part of a tuning effort to decrease audible resonance. Me, I LIKE that intake "honk". :) Also, above a certain size (different for each engine) it's not the size that matters, but the resonances inside, and how THAT resonance works with the resonance of the exhaust system to pull air completely through the system. Companies now tune all this to the nth degree, to get big, smooth power curves. Best for us novices to leave it all alone.

If you don't like the "Trumpets of Jericho", you can probably replace that with one off of a '16-'16.

#7 ·
Doesn't necessarily have to affect power. There's many instances where the proper design of noise reduction or in track regulations "restrictors" actually increase power. The key is in the shape. I had a 3 liter Yamaha engine (Ford SHO) that breathed through a 1 1/2 inch hole at the inlet of the air cleaner. Thinking I knew better, I removed the snorkel. All I got was a ton of noise and if anything LESS midrange. Same thing when I cut the airbox open on my K13 BMW. I'm curious to see what dyno runs show on the RR, I know with my XR all I get is a ton of noise when I remove the restrictor. I'll keep it in, thanks. Part of the design, and I think they know what they're doing.

#15 ·
EXACTLY! I'm surprised that they aren't different length, to have multiple resonant frequencies, to broaden/flatten the powerband. Like I've seen some bikes have 2 long and 2 short velocity stacks in the airbox. I've even seen some stack the were make at a 45deg angle, to do the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.