BMW S1000RR Forum banner

What's wrong with the '17 RR?

16K views 47 replies 21 participants last post by  mateo 
#1 ·
Other than the big cat sitting underneath...is there anything bad about the '17? I keep having irrational thoughts about the grey/black '17 RR...something about that color gets me...and so does that black swingarm. Put a tall tinted OEM screen on it, a Yosh fender eliminator, and Akrapovic's new 2017 black titanium and carbon fiber slip-on and it's...I don't know what, but whatever it is, I can't stop wondering...what if?

:grin2:

#9 ·
A few pros and cons of the 2017 FYI:

Pros:
Grey/Black is wonderful
Smoother engine - no more rattling cams. Not sure what BMW have changed but the engine sounds much smoother - more "Japanese."
Uprated alternator to give the electronics more juice - hopefully helping to solve some of those electronic gremlins on the 2015/16.

Cons:
HUGE cat
Lower fuel economy

Personally i wouldn't say it's worth upgrading from a 2015/16.

#15 ·
Buy a used tank of eBay and some unpainted China plastics, get it all painted the 2017 scheme. Sell or keep your stock stuff. If you sell it, you could come out ahead.
If you're likely to trade it or sell it someday, I suppose you could lose some value, for not having OEM fairings....

#21 ·
One potential benefit - as a result of 15 & 16 sales I believe 17s will be made in fewer numbers. Just a guess - nothing to support that.

#22 ·
The more I look at the '17, the uglier that cat/pipe scheme appears. With those two pipes going into the muffler, it looks jury-rigged somehow. Only a full system would fix that, but aren't those systems non-approved for street use (from an emissions standpoint)? What about noise? Same as stock?

#24 ·
Now we're getting down to it...there ARE some things wrong with the '17. Let's hope the BMW engineers figure out how to make, for the '18 model, an aesthetic exhaust that sounds good, looks great, is smaller and doesn't weigh 15 pounds. These new euro-compliant exhausts are like the motorcycle equivalent of human spinal kyphosis...

:serious:

#28 ·
Just my opinion - a brand new engine is pretty tight, observe how quickly it stops when the key is turned off. A lot of friction and internal drag will keep the cam chain tight and all the little parts under more load at idle than a motor with say, 5000 km on it. I've watched more than half a dozen S1000's start out like this and then become "normal" after the engine breaks in. Too quiet is a bad thing, if the valve clearance is on the low side (quiet) it will only get worse as the valves sink into their seats. Why worry anyway, warranty is your friend!

#30 ·
I hear what you're saying and i agree to a point, although in this instance both the sales staff and the head tech at my dealer commented on how smooth and quiet the cams are. Those guys are well used to hearing brand new engines and the '17 does literally sound like a different bike to the '15. I guess time will tell??! I'll update you once i've put some miles on it!

#33 ·
So, I was just at my local dealer talking about the 17, and naturally we started talking about the 18/19. He said that BMW is expecting to release their smart helmet with HUD next year, and that the 18/19 will have an optional integration package for the helmet. It will display bike stats and have a lap timer GPS. The info is from a reliable source. He said he knows a guy at BMW who knows another guy at BMW. It's totally legit.

I hope I start a new rumor :). BTW, I done made all that up.

#39 ·
Although, that may not be 100% true.

Typically, you can have any number of revisions to a part, making it 100% interchangable, but perhaps a dimension is slightly changed, or the material, temper, or finish is changed. Depending on the company, they may or may not change the actual part number, just the revision, but the part may be indeed changed slightly. What they generally will NOT do, is make a change to a part number that will make in incompatible with all configurations in which it is used. THAT, generally would be the criteria for making it a new part number.

For what it's worth, I don't think there's a change to the parts, I just wanted to clarify things (or muddy the waters, whatever.... :) ).

Reactions: flyryder
#40 ·
Vaguely possible, of course. But given how BMW declares new part numbers for absolutely everything, highly unlikely.

This is especially true if BMW made changes which improve the operation of moving parts, such as in an engine. BMW would seek to avoid having old parts being sold/used when there are better, new parts.

I'm sure there are no improvements or changes in the 2017 engine and any perceived change in sound, etc. is confirmation bias.

#41 ·
According to EVC Electronics that makes hardware and software interfaces... The 17 gets a completely new ECU upgrade. BMSMP vs the 15/16 BMSX. One can only imagine what the new software is doing and running.

Bosch BMSMP TC1793 4.0MB

Bosch BMSX TC1797 4.0MB

DFlash Ram is the biggest upgrade memory wise. 1797 tricore has 64k and the 1793 has 192k ..

Lets hope there is some secrets in the engine and needed the new electronics. Or maybe the cluster has an upgrade coming. The IMS display could not be turned on as they indicated the battery was removed. Maybe a new interface.

#45 ·
Hi to all,it' s been a while...
So ,today I spoke to a friend of mine who works in BMW .
For 2017 of mechanic things they have changed pistons,crankshaft,connecting rod,new ECU and a head bolts on S1RR.
I really like sound of the engine(it sounds like a whisper) and the whole package of the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.