BMW S1000RR Forum banner

AceBikes TYREFIX Motorcycle Tie Down system

7K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  the_gooch 
#1 ·
Gonna start doing trackdays and looking for straps to secure the bike down to the trailer. Here good and bad stories about regular straps from no issues to blow fork seals because of forks being tied down to much.

Found the the Acebikes tyre fix tie down straps where they secure the tire instead of tie down points on the bike. Seems like a good idea.

Has anyone used these before?
How did you like them?

I know there is the pitbull and moto dracing carriers where they get secured to the trailer itself to the bikes axle. I will be renting a uhaul trailer each time, so those wont be a viable option.

https://www.acebikes.com/en/transport-service/tyrefix-tie-down-system/

#5 ·
I really like the PitBull trailer restrain system. Especially on the S1000RR's since we don't have any safety pins on the rear axle. Its an easy on and off, and don't have to worry about over clamping the front suspension where you can damage a fork seal and also with some of the straps I've seen people damage/crack their fairings because somehow it wasn't routes right.

#7 ·
Not a fan of the Canyon Dancer. Used it to tie my bike down and it broke the horn button. I believe Cycle Gear sells the Cycle Cinch, that's the same concept as the Canyon Dancer, but better designed. I've used Canyon Dancers for years and have never had any major issues that you've heard of. Just like smash said, put enough tension on it to keep it secure and you'll be fine.

Looking at the video of the product, looks like they are tying off to the lower triple clamp on the bike for the front, so they aren't using that system front and back.

#8 ·
I have also used Canyon Dancers for years with nary a problem, including 1,000 miles at a time. You do need to be a bit thoughtful as to how you put them on the grips and where you attach them to the trailer, but one needs to be careful in any event. For the rear, tie-downs attached to the passenger peg supports/race hooks.

I need to see the Acebikes' system in action. It looks like the bike would fall down as the center of gravity is well above where the bike is secured - perhaps it is more stable than it looks.

#9 ·
I don't like the Canyon Dancers either - actually have a set that I have been trying to get rid of on Crigslist.

If I had my own trailer I would without a doubt go with the PitBull system.

I just run the tie down between the wheel and forks and pull tight on the axle (each side) - no pressure on the shocks and bike stays perfect.

#10 ·
Made many Seattle / Portland round trips using regular straps in my van. I had zero issues on smooth interstate roads. Maybe I was just lucky, no seal problems and my bike (600 Honda, track only) stayed secure.

If I had to transport a bike now, I would think about a different method. (especially if I had a spendy bike)

#12 ·
Pit Bull trailer restraints are by far the best. No straps needed. Period. If you already have a front chock, you can strap the front to the lower triples, not the bars. Canyon dancers are particularly bad for heated grips, as well as popping the control buttons off. And just strap the rear to the footpegs.

#16 ·
I strap from both sides. Of course. Usually from the rearsets, pulling forward.
Condor chocks hold the bike up while stationary, without needing to hold it. Like the Baxley sport chock.

Never had a rear wheel move in tens of thousands of miles.

I guess I don't have pics of the sport bikes strapped, but here is one showing my V-Rod strapped in. And another pic showing the 3 sport bikes ready to be strapped. I have many flush mount d-ring hooks on the floor.

Attachments

#18 ·
I've used the Canyon Dancers with and without the cups for years. They work OK but will damage grips or switches if improperly used. I use an enclosed trailer and have carried a lot of various bike from small dirt bikes to full touring rigs. My current setup is a Sport Chock up front and rear straps to frame hooks in back on the S1krr. But I also run a pair of straps to the lower triples for safety.

I've had a bad experience in the distance past where a trailer I was towing began a violent swaying and almost caused the vehicle to crash. I managed to get it slowed down and when I stopped to check it out, the bike inside was laying on its side. So I always over-strap.

But after watching Skapan at the track, I just ordered the Pitt Bull TRS. Much easier and at least as secure.

Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.