BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Motorcyclist Article: Leod Escapes Italian Alps and Sachsenring Circuit!

5K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  D.Clocktower 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I was fortunate enough to join Leod Escapes motorcycle tours with track time in August 2016. The trip was absolutely EPIC with 5 days of riding a few different BMW's through the curvy roads of the Alps and then finishing off with two amazing days riding an S1000RR at the Moto GP Circuit of Sachsenring in Germany. Unbelievable trip with some incredible people.

I wrote an article for Motorcyclist Magazine on the trip, you can find it here if interested :)

Epic Motorcycle Ride: Alps and Sachsenring | Motorcyclist

#2 ·
This looks like an epic trip. I planned to do something similar and my friend bailed out.

What would you improve on the trip? Anything, routes, lodging, track, number of people, etc...

Reactions: misti
#11 ·
It was EPIC. That's the one word I'd use to describe it. SO MUCH FUN!!!

Let's see, what to improve on....not much actually. I'd just maybe say keeping us as a group a little more informed along the way of the plan. I like having an outline of the day just so we know what to expect. The first day of riding was long and we were very tired. The last day was a bit boring riding back in a large group to the dealership on the Autobahn...little things that I did relay to the company owner and guide. He did little interviews at the end of the trip with all the customers to get their take on the goods and the bads and if there were any suggestions to improve upon which I admire. Always good to get feedback and continually improve.

The absolute best part was that it was truly authentic. We didn't do anything touristy and we were really immersed in the local culture which I value very much in travelling. I still keep in touch with several locals we met along the way. So amazing.

This is great...it's terrific. Misti, I loved your stories about every aspect of the trip, especially the dinners! Funny...Talisker whiskey figured prominently the latest Stuart Woods novel, which I just finished...what a coincidence.

And I'm curious what your take was on the GT. I know you favored the R bike, but as a GT owner (and RR owner), I'm curious if you had a like/dislike impression of the GT.

Fantastic photos, and just a super travelogue...we're lucky to have you here.
Awwww, thank you so much!!!!

I was not a fan of the GT. I found it big and awkward, like riding a couch. It was tough to maneuver around some of the tight switchbacks and sluggish to catch up when I sucked around the tight stuff. I was like a completely different rider when I finally got to ride the 800R, just small and flickable and fast and torquey and really fun. Perfect for the types of roads we were riding.

It appears in pics that the bikes used for the track day have the cast wheels instead of forged. Have you ridden both and do you have any input on the differences between the two?
Have never paid any attention to that, so I've probably ridden both but I have no idea the difference, lol. Sorry!

#5 · (Edited)
This is great...it's terrific. Misti, I loved your stories about every aspect of the trip, especially the dinners! Funny...Talisker whiskey figured prominently the latest Stuart Woods novel, which I just finished...what a coincidence.

And I'm curious what your take was on the GT. I know you favored the R bike, but as a GT owner (and RR owner), I'm curious if you had a like/dislike impression of the GT.

Fantastic photos, and just a super travelogue...we're lucky to have you here.

#13 ·
I cannot remember, but I'll ask. Did you take your gear with you and rented in Europe?

I'm gonna try to do this trip this year.

#15 · (Edited)
I brought my own gear, touring and track.

You should!!! Check out their website as they have a contest going on, you vote for your favourite track destination that you'd like to go to out of a few choices and then you are entered into a draw to win a free spot!! WOOOOHOOOO!!!! Make sure to let me Know if you sign up! (and tell them that I sent you when you do :grin2:)

https://www.leodescapes.com/polls/view/choose-the-dream

OH, and I'll be joining the crew for the last part of this trip:

https://www.leodescapes.com/tours/view/8/?tour=T302
htthttps://www.leodescapes.com/tours/view/8/?tour=T302
ps://www.leodescapes.com/tours/view/8/?tour=T302
And coaching the two days at Laguna :)

That's interesting, Misti. Understanding that you likely have forgotten more about performance riding than I'll ever learn, I haven't found the GT to be as you describe. The only thing I can think of is that (1) the GT's preload was not set for your particular load weight and (2) the suspension setting was not correct (there are 3...comfort, normal, sport). If these settings were too soft, this bike would feel mushy. I've ridden mine several times on a 150-mile mountain route I frequently ride on the RR, with many switchbacks and fast curves and the GT performed so well that it didn't make me pine away for the RR at the time I was riding the route on it. Keeping the RPM's high in the real twisty parts made corner entry and exit a lot of fun, and surprisingly agile.

Anyway...not trying to "sell" the GT riding experience, but what you felt seems to indicate something wasn't set quite right.
I think it was more how I FIT on the bike. Even though it has a low seat height which made it comfortable for me to be able to touch the ground better than I do on any other bike, I found the handlebar reach far and the bike felt long. I felt like I was sitting IN it as opposed to on the bike and it just didn't turn as quickly and nimbly as I'd like. All in all a great experience for me to be able to ride four different BMW's while on the trip :)

#16 ·
So jealous. I'd looked at that trip as a possibility last year, but already had a 2 month trip planned across the US and back last summer. Was great to see the cameos of you in the video. Looked like a blast. Go Misti.

Reactions: misti
#17 ·
Hahah, thanks. Made some forever friends on that trip, good memories!

How was the trip across the US?!

I'll be joining Leod Escapes again for part of the California Curves to Laguna Seca tour. I'll actually be coaching the two days at Laguna with The California Superbike School!

AND, looks like I may get to try my hand at being a tour guide at their Australia trip in December!!! PHILLIP ISLAND HERE I COME :grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2: (hopefully :laugh:)

#21 ·
Great article misti. Finally got around to reading it. Why did it take so long? Just didn't want to torture myself reading about something I would never be able to do. :frown2:

If it were novice dirt riding/ Sumo tips, it would have been read the same day. :laugh:

#22 ·
Soooooooo jealous Misti. I have taken quite a few trips and two have fallen into the `epic` class. Europe and Australia. Both revolved around rugby and alcohol in about equal parts. Probably a good thing motorcycles were not involved.

A super time you had, thank you for sharing!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.