BMW S1000RR Forum banner

First serious ride on SR1!

5K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  Outta Control 
#1 ·
After 1wk dealing with Bay traffic then I took Friday off and decided to explore what the S1RR could really do and she does not disappoint.

I guess living in CA then some could argue that we have some of the best driving roads in the world, and I decided to drive SR1 (Pacific Coastal Highway or state route 1) and for someone who grew up and drove most of his time in Scotland, then driving SR1 on a S1RR was like a spiritual moment.

The last bike I drove was a CBR1000 and the difference between then and now (12yrs) since I really drove is night and day.

The S1RR really come alive above 6k revs and the auto blipper is a godsend, but for some reason I keep on using the clutch on the downshift (I really need to stop that) but habit is habit...

I watched the youtube videos and thought to myself, when people really pulled back the throttle that folks were exaggerating the response.... No they are not. When I punched it and open her up, the acceleration is like warp speed, it took my eyes and brain a few seconds to adjust and the only thing I could mutter was 'f#@k me' and started to laugh.

The bike never missed a beat, the brakes don't fade, and it just inspired confidence to lean into every corner, this bike is making me a better driver, way better than I was ever before.

Next week is mod week... paddock stands should come, then off with the body work to fit some crash protection and also a USB charger, and not sure if everyone cup of tea, but I have ordered some rim decals to put onto the forged wheels. Hopefully they look as good as they do on the ebay add:

BMW S1000RR Motorcycle Wheel Decals 12 Rim Stickers Laminated HP4 Stripes Red | eBay

See less See more
#2 ·
Riding in Calif is awesome, I miss lane sharing :(

The bike comes alive past 10k RPM. With time anything under 10k RPM will feel like meh..........

Enjoy Calif and don't get any speeding tickets.

#3 ·
In time even the top end feels tame and pedestrian. It no longer thrills like it used to from acceleration alone.

And the brakes do fade, really quick in fact. Heavy bike, the most power, and average at best braking components. You won't notice unless you're on the track, but if you are pads and fluid are a necessity.

I still remember the first time they took the limiter off my 13, and I was at 7500ft altitude so my 193hp bike was more like 155. Scared the living sh!t out of me. I couldn't even ride it to redline, I had to let off way early because that acceleration was so brutal. Got off the bike a few miles later, my arms were shaking for an hour. Best day of my life right there.

#13 ·
The S1RR really come alive above 6k revs and the auto blipper is a godsend, but for some reason I keep on using the clutch on the downshift (I really need to stop that) but habit is habit...
Same here.

The bike feels stable on assisted upshifts, especially when accelerating. I had a few 'moments' on assisted downshifts when I first got the bike so I still use the clutch as, for me, it also offers more control and feel.

I do feel I did something wrong before when using clutchless downshifts. I'm thinking my throttle technique was incorrect. As I read on another thread here, it's best to be accelerating fairly hard when using assisted upshifting. But what about downshifting? Any pointers as the bike felt a bit squirelly?

#14 ·
Every bike is different, but both of my RR's liked there to be throttle when upshifting. Maybe fairly hard isn't a great term, but I had to be on the throttle, not just maintaining speed but actively accelerating.

To downshift, my 15 absolutely prefers the throttle completely closed.

#15 · (Edited)
... I guess living in CA then some could argue that we have some of the best driving roads in the world...
Yes I will argue.

The vast majority of road in Kalifornia has some of the sh*ttiest road around. If you look at Nevada, Utah, and even Arizona their road are built 3x better than PRK.

We have more tar snakes than rattlers in Arizona. Plus the thickness of asphalt is prone to be easily damaged.

#16 ·
Best driving roads

Hahaha... I wont argue with you at all. When I said "some of the best driving roads in the world..."

I did not mean the best road quality in the world, but the actual environment and driving roads, totally different from having good roads in good condition. :)

I agree. The actual road quality sucks, god knows what the government is spending millions of $'s on they never seem to improve and just sugar coating each year with more tar snakes to paint over the cracks vs actual repair.

#26 ·
I remember sneaking into PIR here in Arizona way back in the day (1999 or so)to see Steve Crevier testing the TL...

We got kicked out, but not before I told Crevier I had a deposit on the TL, he said don't lol!... I pulled my deposit the following Monday and bought the R1. Helluva bump that busted that bike up, would like to see pics of these tank traps y'all are weaving around...

#27 ·
would like to see pics of these tank traps y'all are weaving around...
Problem with the ones I've dealt with is that, earlier this year, road crews filled the holes with asphalt that later came out, for whatever reason. In the canyon, though, an asphalt-filled pothole looks the same as one that's in shadow because of the sun angle. The only way to deal with it is to avoid anything that looks darker than the road surface, which leads to some interesting paths...a lot of weaving. And then there are the rocks that fall onto the roads from the cliffs on the side because of wildfires during the summer devastating the foliage and making slides more likely. Offsetting that are the great views...which you can enjoy in between obstacle avoidance. Sharpens the skills...

:grin2:

#31 ·
And don't forget to ride Pescadero - probably the best road in Big Basin. Hwy 9 is good but too much traffic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.