S1000RR Engine Problems - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 03:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default S1000RR Engine Problems

So I have been very worried lately as new s1000rr owner if I made the right choice. I have been reading on a lot of forums s1000rr engine reliability problems. My bike has a valve ticking noise and another noise that's a bit deeper of a clunk coming still from the top of the engine. The bike is a 2010 with 6k miles on it.
Should I be worried or not? I have 3 months of warranty left.
dim22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 03:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yes there were some problems with the first production units. Mine is also a '10 with 16000km and it's flow less regarding the engine. It produces 191.5hp on the wheel on the dyno with Leovince full system and 186.5 in stock form.Try not to worry about it and enjoy.
You will never be arrested #58
DrIoannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIoannis View Post
Yes there were some problems with the first production units. Mine is also a '10 with 16000km and it's flow less regarding the engine. It produces 191.5hp on the wheel on the dyno with Leovince full system and 186.5 in stock form.Try not to worry about it and enjoy.
Thanks you.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Honestly, I think there have been more posts saying "I'm hearing there are problems with the engine" than there are posts with people actually having engine problems. There have been a few bikes with serious issues, but given the population, it seems like very few. I see fewer posts of major engine issues on this forum than I typically see on a Gixxer or CBR forum. Even the huge uproar over the 2012 recall seems to have faded into the woodwork.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Here is a video of my bike in 50 degrees garage and cold start. Right before the oil pressure builds as the bike starts you can hear a very scary noise (at least for me).

20130102 182358 - YouTube
Old 01-05-2013, 05:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

It's really hard to tell from the video what the noise you're referring to is, but if the noise goes away pretty quickly, maybe it's your cam chain tensioner?

Ie the cct be backing out when the bike is stopped and cold, and then when you get oil pressure is getting back up to tension??

Anyway just a suggestion. Maybe someone else has a better idea...

Last edited by Piper; 01-05-2013 at 05:22 AM.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

call your dealer and have them check the bike out , this will establish it is occuring while under warranty, if there is a rpoblem you dont want to have to foot the bill on a new engine if the problem developed under warranty. a new lump runs around 12k
Karlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim22 View Post
So I have been very worried lately as new s1000rr owner if I made the right choice. I have been reading on a lot of forums s1000rr engine reliability problems. My bike has a valve ticking noise and another noise that's a bit deeper of a clunk coming still from the top of the engine. The bike is a 2010 with 6k miles on it.
Should I be worried or not? I have 3 months of warranty left.
First start riding the bike....6k miles on 2010. Get on it and ride more.
Has this noise been there since you bought it? It's probably normal noise. These engines are loud up top...you can normaly hear the tapping sounds. and my Engine makes some bad noises when starting in the cold...the oil needs to get up in the engine and on all that metal. These engines are not made from plastic and are not sound proof. In my opininon the modern engines of today tend to be louder in noise then engines of later years mainly because of thinner/lighter wall thicknesses of the components...

However if you seriously feel something just isn't right, take it to the dealer now while you still have it covered. Better safe than sorry. :-)
Old 01-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you all for the replies, I have scheduled a day with the dealer. The reason I opened this post was to see if anyone like you guys have any inside.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim22 View Post
Thank you all for the replies, I have scheduled a day with the dealer. The reason I opened this post was to see if anyone like you guys have any inside.
My 2012 blew an intake camshaft with 400 miles on the clock. Sounded like a crankshaft bearing to me at first. Notify your dealer about this, then make a nice trip with the bike.
MasterTommy NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement