Winter GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Winter GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Ok, I'm starting to go crazy with this damn winter weather and its been too cold to ride for months. What do others do in states where its too cold to ride for MONTHS to keep from going insane? And please don't say something that involves snow because we haven't got any, just too damn cold!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
nik08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Play video games?
Buff your bike?
How about this: sit on your bike, play some Black Keys-Lonely Boy close yours eyes and RIDE!
dim22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Lol. Vids all day! Problem is I like to be more outside while having an adrenaline rush...and other activities in the winter, like exercise for example, do not provide that and I sure as hell don't look forward to it

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
nik08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

I hear ya man... I don't ride street any more, but feel the same way when I can't hop on two wheels and play at the track. Aside from skiing and snowboarding, which I certainly enjoy... the other things to keep my mind more closely focused on two wheels is I do some maintenance, upgrades, mods, etc. over the winter in the garage... turn on the heat if necessary and go at it. I also dirt bike which although the dead of winter makes it too cold, there are plenty of days to still get out where it might be too cold for the street but still fine for a little dirt. That may mean I have to travel a couple hours South to do it as I'm at 7,200' and the snow tends to stick around here for the entire winter.
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Winter sucks, I rode my bike home from the dealer and that's the only miles on the bike.

The winter is time for catching up on movies,video games,forums.

I usually go to Vegas every winter so I have that to look forward to in February, also my bike along with 7 others is going into a 3 day indoor car/bike show, a group of my friends rented out a 10x50 spot,we have furniture we rented and lots of beer drinking and bullshitting going to happen.

Just gotta make the most of it.
2013 HP4 Competition #0373-Sold
Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Here is my solution...
I'm in Michigan, so EVERY year 2 of my friends and I trailer out bikes down to Florida. We use to pick a different city each year, but for the past 4 years we have always been going to Tampa/Clearwater. We love that area.
We go for 10 days at the end of January. We are leaving Jan 16th this year.
The bonus to this is that Tampa has this HUGE event called Gasparilla. Whis is something like Mardi Gras. They celebrate Pirates. It is Suggested to be Adults only, an huge Parade, So many people having a great time drinking all day.
Anyway if any of you read this and are in the Tampa/Clearwater area, send me a PM, maybe we can hang or ride together a bit.

This trip is pretty close to the middle of our winter, so after we get our fix of riding in Florida we just wait a couple more months to ide again in Michigan.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Best snow bike I've owned.
dattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattaway View Post

Best snow bike I've owned.

Isn't it too slippery when you even put a foot down?
PistolPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamisou View Post

Isn't it too slippery when you even put a foot down?
Depends on the rubber compound. Michelin rubber is a pretty safe bet on ice. Pirelli too. At the other extreme, I found Dunlop and Metzler compounds slide like greased nylon on the ice. That bad. Something about the Michelin rubber that makes it stick like frog's feet in bad weather.
dattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Spend money on parts & mods. This winter is a little backwards, bikes not here yet but I keep buying parts for it.
Kill zombies on COD
M GmbH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement