sweet new website that tells you how fast you can ride for a given turn on the street - Page 10 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #91 (permalink)

Ive talked to shall i say TOO MANY poindexters that think they can use mathamatics and drag coefficience and lean angles and tell you how to ride...
A couple things ive noticed that they ALL had in common: A.they could ride fast themselves B.they were quick at giving advice to people who WERE faster than themselves and C. the theories they used to make the calculations were missing MANY parts of the equasion not really measurable with their slide rule...like BALLS, SKILL LEVELS and INSANITY FACTOR.
Id bet you my bike for yours straight up Casy Stoner will blow the doors off the prescribed speed limits your program is comming up with.
Ive seen the Palomar Mtn numbers and Im laughing, they aint even close. and Im just an average rider there, some of the fast guys KILL thise speeds.
stick to the video games before some noobie listens and gets themselves killed.

Last edited by mastertech; 01-06-2013 at 05:42 PM.
mastertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo View Post
What a waste of time. Want to know how fast you can push your bike through a turn? Go ride your bike through the turn to the best of your ability. How fast did you go? There's your answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Exactly......!
Mfisher702 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertech View Post
Ive talked to shall i say TOO MANY poindexters that think they can use mathamatics and drag coefficience and lean angles and tell you how to ride...
A couple things ive noticed that they ALL had in common: A.they could ride fast themselves B.they were quick at giving advice to people who WERE faster than themselves and C. the theories they used to make the calculations were missing MANY parts of the equasion not really measurable with their slide rule...like BALLS, SKILL LEVELS and INSANITY FACTOR.
Id bet you my bike for yours straight up Casy Stoner will blow the doors off the prescribed speed limits your program is comming up with.
Ive seen the Palomar Mtn numbers and Im laughing, they aint even close. and Im just an average rider there, some of the fast guys KILL thise speeds.
stick to the video games before some noobie listens and gets themselves killed.

Sounds good dude. What lean angle do you want to use on my program?
Ill put a GPS on your bike that we can download speeds to a laptop for later review. How far do you lean? 60 degrees? Because u have such big balls lets choose 60 degrees and we can calculate the speeds for the various turns you will be executing. You can choose any tire you want.

Also you are contradicting yourself. You say the numbers on Palomar are not even close and that you are laughing. So I assume you think the numbers are too slow to what's actual in real life? Then you say I should take the site down before I kill someone. For what? For the numbers being too slow???

What lean angle did you choose for the calculation of speed at Palomar? The default is 50 degrees. Perhaps you lean further. Have you tried 55 degree lean?

Last edited by noamkrief; 01-06-2013 at 08:43 PM.
noamkrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technomancer View Post
Thanks for your work with this Noam. I think your app is going to be useful to me.

The most vehement opposition in this thread is probably because people think you are finding the MAX possible speed through a corner. Some posts attribute that to you explicitly. You are clearly doing no such thing. You are allowing a user to select a lean angle and solving for the speed through a given turn. This has NOTHING to do with the max possible speed through the turn. Max possible speed is what a physicist would call a boundary value problem, where there is a limiting factor somewhere (tire friction in this case). People are all wound up trying to invoke their specific boundary values, from poor suspension to absurdly long wheelbase. Yes, if you invoke an absurd boundary, Noam's solution will not be valid because he never set out to solve a boundary value problem. He is finding the solution to the lean angle equation, and a useful solution it is.

Thanks again, Noam.

- John
Thank you John. One of the few people who understand the tool.
The user selects a lean angle desired, I find the radius from google maps and show the speed. Because for a given effective lean angle and turn radius there is only 1 possible speed.

1000rr, I agree. The subject of my post may be a bit confusing. I can see how people may think the tool solves for max speed possible.

If I wanted to solve for max speed, I would have the user input the coefficient of friction of their tire and I can easily solve for that as well.
Of course I would also have a hundred people on this forum say that they can go faster than the "solved" speeds pretty much saying they have a Jedi ability to exceed the coefficient of friction of the tire with their instantly level, testicle diameter and god given ability to defy the laws of physics and basic elementary math where the force of gravity is no longer 9.81m/s^2 and 2+2=5 hahaha
noamkrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #95 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by noamkrief View Post
1000rr, I agree. The subject of my post may be a bit confusing. I can see how people may think the tool solves for max speed possible.

If I wanted to solve for max speed, I would have the user input the coefficient of friction of their tire and I can easily solve for that as well...
We agree
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000RR View Post
I have noticed Noam has been more accepting as of late to take into consideration other pieces of the pie. And he has had a good discussion with CYD. I thought it was some very good discussion in fact.

But to go back to your statement John - above... it may likely be due to the title --> "sweet new website that tells you how fast you can ride for a given turn on the street " One could easily assume this to be max, since it's saying how fast you can go.... May be misleading in your opinion, eh?! I may be confused too, as I thought this was what he was after and has been discussing in the thread?!
Yes, Noam has discussed these other factors, but he has also been very clear that none of them affect the solution to the lean angle equation. None of them. The title says how fast you can go ... with a given lean angle. The solution also tells you how slow you can go -- the exact same speed -- for that given lean angle. The second statement isn't very good marketing though!

No, max speed through the corner is a different problem, with enough variables to be intractable, as discussed ad nauseum above. If you a going for max speed, you don't even turn with constant radius anyway, you generally apex late or link turns and the solution becomes even less calculable. But this is not the problem Noam tried to solve. (If your primary concern is max speed, as Noam explained, you can use the tool to study different corners and see how your actual max speed differs from the lean angle solution. If the cornering speed differences are not consistent, you can identify where you might improve. In this way, the perfect analytic solution to the wrong question can still be useful.)

I hope this makes sense.

- John
Technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #97 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technomancer View Post
No, max speed through the corner is a different problem, with enough variables to be intractable, as discussed ad nauseum above. If you a going for max speed, you don't even turn with constant radius anyway, you generally apex late or link turns and the solution becomes even less calculable.

I hope this makes sense.

- John
Thanks for the quick lesson... makes total sense. And we agree on the above Title was just deceiving and the thread has changed tunes in the latter 2/3rds.
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #98 (permalink)

Default New member from texas found site through Google search for Howfastcanigo.com

Hello, new here from Houston, found the site by searching for the howfastcanigo webpage the thead on this site appeared.

Hows that for free advertising.
kenup283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #99 (permalink)

I wanted to post to this in the actual thread but for whatever reason I cannot reply to it of make a new thread anywhere but here.

This may help give a visual for the results. This is a post I made on highperformancecrew.com forum where I learned about the webpage.

After some soul searching for the right strecth of road to test this with, I came on no other than, Pikes Peak.

The now fully paved run up the hill provided a great video reference of the true limit for how fast you can go, that of Greg Tracy's sub 10 minute run from last year.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OTiTPAusog4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I ran this side by side and followed along with the map generated from using GPS coords 38.921239, -105.037215 for the start (1:15 in video) and 38.839795, -105.044462 for the end pont (9:38 min in video). [google would not select the true start and finish line any closer]

I stopped the vid freqently to keep my bearings and take some screenshots. The pics below are at various points in the run screen captured along side the map with the specific turn and speed limit predicted highlighted.

In short, as expected, don't trust the elapse time prediction in the program for all reasons already mentioned and probably more. However, the speed limit signs at specific points are a close match and still potentially useful, even if you only use it for watching Pike's Peak runs

If I were to use this on my own, I'd ignore the time and just focus on the predicted speed limits. If you wanted to use the time feature I'd scale it back to 40 or 45 deg lean angle and a max speed 80 or 100mph, or less depending on how aggressive you plan to ride. This should help to cut out some of the error. To get an idea, I had to run the map at 45 deg lean and 120 mph max to get the predicted time to line up with the video of Greg's run.

The speed limit map pics below are at 50 deg lean angle. Using a 155mph max speed, it says 7.55 minutes, at 120 max speed 7.88 min. The actual elapse time in vid between those points is 8min 23 sec (8.4 min).

pics on youtube Clips of Greg Tracy Pike&#39;s Peak run side by side with map from how fast can i go dot com - YouTube
Old 01-10-2013, 01:10 AM   #100 (permalink)

Here is the link to the video.

Greg Tracy&#39;s under 10:00 race run at Pikes Peak! - YouTube

After I added a comment to this vid about the website he immediately replied back with "very cool"

So the guy who can run the hill at record pace thinks your site is cool and says thanks,

Greg Tracy 1 day ago

Very cool, I did not even know you could do that!! Thanks for the comment. What did it say should be a quick time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement