For the older guys with sportbike - Page 4 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #31 (permalink)

Well Lockem, I thought I might be the oldest, but turns out I'm just a "newbie".

I'm 71 and have been riding since I was 15. Mostly HD and three Kawi, the last being a 2007 ZX-14. I now have a 2012 Motorsport, and I love it. I put about 1500 miles on a demo with OEM bars and while not objectionable, I find the Helibars I put on mine to be more comfortable, as does everyone who has tried them.

No track days, but I' sort of the "lead" rat race guy in my local BMW Rider's club, of course, most of them have touring and dual purpose bikes so the competition is not entirely fair!

I plan to continue until I can't get on it, or I truly scare myself.

Curtis
cwcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #32 (permalink)

52 and will continue to ride as long as my mind and body allow me to. Since I am in better shape than 90% of 20 year old's gonna be a long time!
rhoag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #33 (permalink)

57 years old. Don't give me that crap about "57 years young." Osteoarthritis tells me I ain't young.

OTOH, I recently sold a K1200GT since it was becoming a garage queen. Why ride a K1200GT when you got a S1000RR to hoon about on?

As often as I can I commute on the bike. DC Metro area, so there is a bit of traffic. But then, high speed and heavy traffic -- its better than caffeine!
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #34 (permalink)

All you guys are an inspiration to continue riding. I'm 45 and got back to riding six years ago. I do some track days and lots of travelling on my S1000RR. I'm doing this as long as my body holds up. Don't drink, No Cigarettes I work out every other day and can smoke all the younger guys in my group. Proud to be a sports biker.
You get used to speed fast!
Panic is NOT a strategy!
RIQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #35 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to HOG SLYR Send a message via Skype™ to HOG SLYR

I'll be 57 in a few weeks, been riding 40+ years and will ride sport bikes as long as I can. When I can't do 800 mile days on this thing I'll break out the ST1300
Old 12-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #36 (permalink)

Default not old enough

i am 45 rode dirt bikes whem i was a kid quit about age 16 got a gsxr 6 years ago sold it in june and bought my beemer a week later love it dont think i wiil quit till i cant get on it any more then my son can have it
troybeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:04 AM   #37 (permalink)

Garage

im fifty in june and respect anyone older than me riding or not.
however,Lockem you have my absolute respect (from down under).
pigmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:09 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK View Post
I'm "only" 34 and I too want to ride sportbikes for as long as possible. I've been working out regularly though for the past 20 years. Been a strict vegetarian since 1995. So people often mistake me for being 8-10 years younger. But damn, I do notice how my body has changed. I need more warm up time in the gym before I lift anything heavy, and I need way more time to recover from injuries. Time stops for no one......so have fun while you can!

Oh, and to the youngins.....respect your elders, you too will be old one day
Who you tellin man... I noticed the increased time required for a good warm up before lifting hard. 33 years young here and finally feeling it. Damn.

HEED THIS: AGATT

" On a bike when you take direction/speed/angle into consideration on a second by second basis there is NO time to think. A decision has to made instantly! On the street for example add to that road conditions/inattentive drivers etc....etc... and the variables are just too many. Its got to be done by instinct or take a break. " - Sal R1
BavarianBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:36 AM   #39 (permalink)

Im 44 and will continue riding sports bikes(daily commuter) until I can no longer convince my wife that this bike is far safer than my old ninja and practically drives itself in the rain in rain mode(like I did today).

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R Blue - Dyno 120HP Lee's Cycle [SOLD]

2006 Honda CRF450X [SOLD]
2004 Honda XR250R [SOLD]
2004 Honda CBR600RR Track Bike [SOLD]
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #40 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Garage

46 yrs young here and not planning on giving up anytime soon....remember young bucks, we got to be this age by being smart.....with a bit of luck.

"Old Chinese proverbs say...

He who walks thru turn-style at airport with hard-on, is going to Bangkok

Last edited by symplee511; 12-18-2012 at 10:14 AM.
symplee511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement