Slick outside - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Slick outside

Hey guys,

Just got back from a deployment, and convinced myself that 40 was warm enough to ride...

Totally wrong.

First turn out of the lot and the rear went straight out and I dropped the bike going about 4Mph.

Really shitty welcome back home gift.

Quick questions for the threads:

Right Fairing: I have a 2012 Black bike, and want to keep it stock. Where should I get this?

Right case saver: Yoshisumra, should I just buy a new set, or is there someone out there with a right saver that they're looking to get rid of?

Right case cover bolt: Where the heck do you get these?

Turn Signal: Should I use this a chance to upgrade?

Any help would be appreciated.

Let the badgering and internet mocking begin,

Nick

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

2012 Black S1000RR 'Herbert'
NikyP00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sponsor/Admin

Garage

Sorry to hear the misfortune Nick... some of life's lessons unfortunately are learned the hard way. Sounds like the bike isn't so bad off.

For the OEM parts you want to replace, call the dealer and get some prices. The signals you likely can find here for an OEM replacement as folks seem to always be upgrading... and the front/rears are the same. Or you might tidy up the tail (they're ugly as hell) and use one of the rear signals for the front. On the bolt, I think those are one time use bolts anyway... so the dealer should have plenty. On the plastics - you're gonna get hosed buying a new OEM... so you should look around and maybe find someone that's converted a bike to track only. Or check ebay...

Good luck. Glad it wasn't worse.
#1 Plate/Champion - 2013 SMRI

SMRI #1, WMRRA #112x, USBA #715, AMA #715

HUGE Thanks to my Race Sponsors!!

Riders Discount**PMtec, Inc**Schuberth Helmets**DUNLOP**DrippinWet**Brentwood Barber Shop**MOTUL**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Leatt Neck Protection**Knecht Automotive

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

No mocking from me.

Glad its not to bad and you are ok. It happens to the best of us.

Thank you very much for your service!.
2013 HP4 Competition #0373-Sold
Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry about your lose. I hope you get everything patched up and back on the road again soon.
I just wanted to say, don't let this experience deter you from ride in the 40s though. it is certainly warm enough to ride! I rode to work this morning in upper twenties and i don't have traction control on the brand new VStrom 650 with less than 20 miles on the odo (tires are still slippery!). The coldest temp i've done for extended period was 15F. Of course, i had serious thermal protection for that kind of temperature. Don't corner too hard in cold weather and certainly not until tires are warmed up (after riding for at least 10 mins). Watch out for leaves on the road too, wet leaves in the fall are more slippery than ice!! Ask me how i know!
Good luck, ride safe!
Naked_ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

From a fellow serviceman to another sorry bud! Yea at those temps your tires will barely heat up. Hope you get everything squared away. Welcome back and thank you for your service!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
2006 Kawi ZX6R (my first love) sold
2010 Kawi BruteForce 750i sold
2011 BMW 328XI
2011 BMW S1K Yellow
-ZGravity corsa w/s, Yoshi sliders, RG mirror blk offs, GB case svrs, CRG lvrs, Andreani Group 30mm kit, XBK5 pads, Woodcraft spools, stompgrips, Attack rearsets, Ohlins damper, Renthal sprockets, DIDERV3 chain 520 Conv, Full race Akrapovic SS w carbon hanger, BrenTuned
jhockey18aa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

There are plenty of bikes being parted out on eBay. Try to stay away from the dealer or be prepared to pay top dollar. The damage is mostly cosmetic so I would hunt around for second hand. Winter is creeping up so lots of deals out there. Good Luck
01 GSXR 600
91 XLCH 1200
87 GSXR 750
86 ZX600
85 RZ350
84 CB700SC
83 XJ400
ACS1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked_ape View Post
Sorry about your lose. I hope you get everything patched up and back on the road again soon.
I just wanted to say, don't let this experience deter you from ride in the 40s though. it is certainly warm enough to ride! I rode to work this morning in upper twenties and i don't have traction control on the brand new VStrom 650 with less than 20 miles on the odo (tires are still slippery!). The coldest temp i've done for extended period was 15F. Of course, i had serious thermal protection for that kind of temperature. Don't corner too hard in cold weather and certainly not until tires are warmed up (after riding for at least 10 mins). Watch out for leaves on the road too, wet leaves in the fall are more slippery than ice!! Ask me how i know!
Good luck, ride safe!
Of course I'm going to take some heat(no pun intended)tires are not going to warm up to proper temp in 40 degree weather. The air is cold and the ground is cold. Depending on what brand tire - manufacturers state at what temp tire is not recommended to be used. For instance anything much less than 50 degrees.

The RR even with traction control has so much HP unless you literally ride it at such low speed chances are very good the tires are going to slip.

Riding in the cold is one thing - riding the wrong bike or with wrong tires is another - I ride year round all types of weather and road conditions but not on the RR.

Last edited by BruceV; 12-13-2012 at 08:27 PM.
BruceV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceV View Post
Of course I'm going to take some heat(no pun intended)tires are not going to warm up to proper temp in 40 degree weather. The air is cold and the ground is cold. Depending on what brand tire - manufacturers state at what temp tire is not recommended to be used. For instance anything much less than 50 degrees.

The RR even with traction control has so much HP unless you literally ride it at such low speed chances are very good the tires are going to slip.

Riding in the cold is one thing - riding the wrong bile or with wrong tires is another - I ride year round all types of weather and road conditions but not on the RR.
Hi Bruce,
40 degree temperature won't get your RR tires race track ready, if that's what you are referring to. That's why they have tire warmers. However, a short ride around the neighbourhood, a quick fun down the interstate, a leisurely commute to work, the RR tires are more than ready for that in temperatures much lower than 40s. lower your tire pressure a couple of psi, ride at 40-50 mph for 10 mins, your tires will be plenty warm for street use.
RR is a very powerful bike indeed. that doesn't mean your choices are only between stop and WOT though. A street legal bike that is capable of triple digital speed is also capable of crawling with stop and go traffic slower than a pedestrian. If you can't ride the RR in 40s without tires slipping left and right, you really should adjust your riding style to suit the condition. It is not that hard!!
In addition, if you follow manufacturer's recommendations, you should shift to sixth gear when reach speed greater than 30mph... I am sure none of us fail to follow that.

Last edited by Naked_ape; 12-13-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Naked_ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked_ape View Post
Hi Bruce,
40 degree temperature won't get your RR tires race track ready, if that's what you are referring to. That's why they have tire warmers. However, a short ride around the neighbourhood, a quick fun down the interstate, a leisurely commute to work, the RR tires are more than ready for that in temperatures much lower than 40s. lower your tire pressure a couple of psi, ride at 40-50 mph for 10 mins, your tires will be plenty warm for street use.
RR is a very powerful bike indeed. that doesn't mean your choices are only between stop and WOT though. A street legal bike that is capable of triple digital speed is also capable of crawling with stop and go traffic slower than a pedestrian. If you can't ride the RR in 40s without tires slipping left and right, you really should adjust your riding style to suit the condition. It is not that hard!!
In addition, if you follow manufacturer's recommendations, you should shift to sixth gear when reach speed greater than 30mph... I am sure none of us fail to follow that.
Do yourself a favor and check with the manufacturer of the tire you are using. Certainly we can ride very cautiously on any tire. But you are wrong about the tire getting up to temp. Pilot Road 3 for instance has a wide operating range - however the manufacturer puts that range at 40 degrees and above. When you are using softer compound tires that are designed to give superior grip they are absolutely heat dependent.

I'm not arguing that we can ride in 0 degree weather - I'm stating fact that riding on sport tires in 40 degree temps or less you are not getting the tire up to temp.

Don't believe me do a simple test yourself - go for your 10 mile ride and pull over and feel your tires - they will not even feel warm.

Getting any tire warm in cold weather is problematic but many tires have better compounds and tread patterns for this.

Trust me I'm all about riding year round - I average 300 days a year so I have my days of bad road conditions.

My RR is parked for the winter - not worth it to me to put on a touring tire just to go out for a quick ride. I had my RR sliding during a very conservative ride a few weeks ago - K3's just about new - temp was right around 40 - tires were cold to the touch when I pulled into my garage after about 20 miles.

Heck the only bike that I really ride this time of year is my KLR - no real HP spinning up the rear wheel and just a great bike to ride when I'm looking to just go for a ride and not trying to beat the world.

My K1300S has traction control and I have more sport touring tires on it and I don't go out of my way to ride it in this cold weather.

Heck who cares - what do I know - I only have a couple hundred thousand miles of riding under my belt.

Okay I'm done its all good.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

sorry to hear of your bad luck...I had the exact same thing happen, but the temps were in the teens, and somehow the DTC kept me upright, despite the tail fishtailing in very improbably angles.

I always start off very, VERY slow when it's cold. But if it had snowed recently, road salt will get you - they're like ball bearings once the snow is gone.

As others have advised...keep a close eye on eBay for bikes being parted out. The bolts are indeed "one-use only" and should be cheap and easy to source at the dealer.

I have a full set of stock turn signals that were never used, in case you're interested (I had LEDs and Watsens from my 2010 bike that were installed before my bike was delivered).
2000 Ducati ST4 (sold)
2010 S1000RR (sold)
2007 F800S (sold)
kismetcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement