S1000RR, it's been out 3 years now so how is it holding up? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default S1000RR, it's been out 3 years now so how is it holding up?

The S1000RR has been out in production for 3 years now, so how has it been holding up over this period? There should be a lot of data now, especially from Germany, where riders can ride their bikes without speed limits on many autobahns. And there should be a lot of data also from riders from warm weather areas where bikes can be ridden year round. So what is the verdict, is the S1000RR holding up over the long run?

I bought mine in 2010, but only have 4000 miles on it. I have had only one problem with it, the VDS went out and had to be replaced on warranty with no cost to me. I am 100% satisfied with my bike.
Ps#37-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
BRR

You can put me down in the 100% satisfied column. About two years and 10 grand miles and no issues outside of standard maintenance.

In terms of data I think the consensus has been these bikes are rock solid. You will always have the anecdotes of people have a problem here or there and of course that one guy who got a complete lemon and swore off BMW for good, but considers how popular this bike is, and how many people post to this forum, there are very very few issues.

You should see some of the daily posts on the Aprilia or Ducati forums
BRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

I Just sold my S1000RR 2010 with 23k miles, mix of street, track and a lot of canyon rides. ZERO problems with the bike whatsoever and couldn't be happier.

Why and what did I replace it with? = HP4
Kamran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ps#37-4 View Post
The S1000RR has been out in production for 3 years now, so how has it been holding up over this period? There should be a lot of data now, especially from Germany, where riders can ride their bikes without speed limits on many autobahns. And there should be a lot of data also from riders from warm weather areas where bikes can be ridden year round. So what is the verdict, is the S1000RR holding up over the long run?

I bought mine in 2010, but only have 4000 miles on it. I have had only one problem with it, the VDS went out and had to be replaced on warranty with no cost to me. I am 100% satisfied with my bike.

Mine is also 2010, just over 7K miles. Awesome bike, had it as a track bike for a season. She was good to me but recently had some electrical/fuel issues.
She would cut out while in motion.... Finally took it to a dealer, stalled on the way there and wouldn't start.
Now it's been there for 3 weeks...:-(
And of course I have the rattle like many on here do.
That said, I still think its the best bike out there! :-)
Old 12-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

A year and a half with 22.4K miles and 100% satisfied.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaster View Post
Mine is also 2010, just over 7K miles. Awesome bike, had it as a track bike for a season. She was good to me but recently had some electrical/fuel issues.
She would cut out while in motion.... Finally took it to a dealer, stalled on the way there and wouldn't start.
Now it's been there for 3 weeks...:-(
And of course I have the rattle like many on here do.
That said, I still think its the best bike out there! :-)
Had the same problem, they were thowing parts at it to fix it. The warrenty was getting close to ending. They gave me a great trade value and awsome deal on a new red and white 13 (the red devil) They were putting on new throttle bodies when I made the switch to the 13. I loved the 2010 model and love the new one. I had 17,200 miles on my 2010. Many trackdays, dragstrip runs and street rides these bikes are the best of the best with honors!
Bluebeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

My 2010 Mineral Silver has been great. I have 8K miles on her, had the high beam switch replaced twice under warranty. QS failed on me after a low side at a track day, that was replaced under warranty. I have the odd occassional cold start stall. This could happen on the hottest day not sure why she does it.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

2010 with thousands of miles and NO issues. The thing is an animal that keeps getting better, stronger, and faster with time! Never ridden anything this badass.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
nik08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeemer View Post
Had the same problem, they were thowing parts at it to fix it. The warrenty was getting close to ending. They gave me a great trade value and awsome deal on a new red and white 13 (the red devil) They were putting on new throttle bodies when I made the switch to the 13. I loved the 2010 model and love the new one. I had 17,200 miles on my 2010. Many trackdays, dragstrip runs and street rides these bikes are the best of the best with honors!
That's what they doing with mine, throwing parts at it...lol Last I was told they putting new ECU in... I guess with all the technology in this bikes they don't really know what's wrong. It's nice to have a warranty on this bikes for sure.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Pete View Post
My 2010 Mineral Silver has been great. I have 8K miles on her, had the high beam switch replaced twice under warranty. QS failed on me after a low side at a track day, that was replaced under warranty. I have the odd occassional cold start stall. This could happen on the hottest day not sure why she does it.
She is a monster at the track isn't she?!
I had mine as a track bike for a season while rebuilding my track bike. And even though my lap times are still faster on a little Gixxer, big S was plenty of fun.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1355345378.048141.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	10863

Advertisement