MCN: s1000rr vs HP4 - Page 7 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #61 (permalink)
CYD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyc. View Post
If the competition engine had more hp than the standard
As far as power goes I would honestly be surprised if a dyno'd stock S1000RR and a dyno'd HP4 (with the silencer removed), put out the exact same max HP/Torque numbers.

At any rate, consider a car with a turbo, personally I would rather have a car tuned with 500HP under 5 grand, that peaks to 650hp at redline, than the same car that peaks to 800hp, but is under 300hp at 5 grand. There may be applications for each, but personally HP under the curve means more to me.

My expectations of an HP4, considering the Full Akro system, and ecu mapping, is that the HP4 would not only have different lines, but would have more HP under the curve, which is where "I" want it. Whether that makes it exclusive or not, that's not a factor I care to debate. But I believe that I would prefer out of the box experience of the HP4 HP/Tq curve over the same 2013 S1000RR hp/tq curve.

~CYD
CYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYD View Post
As far as power goes I would honestly be surprised if a dyno'd stock S1000RR and a dyno'd HP4 (with the silencer removed), put out the exact same max HP/Torque numbers.

At any rate, consider a car with a turbo, personally I would rather have a car tuned with 500HP under 5 grand, that peaks to 650hp at redline, than the same car that peaks to 800hp, but is under 300hp at 5 grand. There may be applications for each, but personally HP under the curve means more to me.

My expectations of an HP4, considering the Full Akro system, and ecu mapping, is that the HP4 would not only have different lines, but would have more HP under the curve, which is where "I" want it. Whether that makes it exclusive or not, that's not a factor I care to debate. But I believe that I would prefer out of the box experience of the HP4 HP/Tq curve over the same 2013 S1000RR hp/tq curve.

~CYD
So you, and how many more believe the 2013 S1000RR + akra full system and mapping would make more Power than my long awaited HP4 ?
If this would be correct, I'll be caught on a bunch, since I want brute power but I don't want a bike turbo-ed nor a bike over 1000cc
It really sux the HP4 to be sold with the same dyno figures as the S1000RR.
Aside all those pretty jewels it comes with, it is also packing "engine performance" parts not offered standard on the S1000RR and still sae numbers????
I hope to think its just a programming issue and not a + $4500 dollar kit to go up on it
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #63 (permalink)
JG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
this is absolutely correct. Beyond the DDC and some software, the HP4 is, hate to say it, a parts bin special. Everything on the competition is straight out of the HP catalog. It almost feels like they're trying to clear out HP parts inventory by packaging them all into a bike.

regarding the "added midrange power", that's exactly what you get with a plain $1800 Akrapovic Ti full system and a PCV.

The HP4 isn't meant to be something truly special. It's meant to homologate the DDC suspension for WSBK racing. But by marketing it as an HP4 BMW accomplishes several things, not the least of which is a lot of excitement over having the best of the best.

I've said this before, but when BMW gets around to building a true HP4, like the HP2 Sport, then I'm in. We're talking an HP4 with bespoke parts, like milled triple clamps and rearsets. 100% carbon fiber fairings. A truly massaged engine that isn't just an aftermarket exhaust slapped on (the HP2 boxer gained power over the standard oilheads through redesigned heads).
Somebody has HP4 envy !!!
JG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG1 View Post
Somebody has HP4 envy !!!
I agree with kismetcapitan!
bmwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #65 (permalink)

If it cost a full ti akra system plus pcv, and custom mapping With dyno tuned for a regular s1krr to produce the same power curve. It would make me feel my purchase of hp4 base an even better bargain Becoz above mentioned would cost me nearly 3 grand

I personally shop my hp4 base not because of the exclusiveness, but the bargained bundled saving plus the time saved not needed to bring it for a tune.

But no stress guys, we all know s1krr series is the best badass on the road. And hp4 is built based on it.

Hp4 should be a no brainer for newly bmw purchaser. Those been riding s1krr please keep enjoying it, Ride the most out of it as we are all one big family :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Jskit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
It's actually 4.17 times more exclusive, but yeah, what he said.
Haha, thanks for the correction. And for not flaming my inaccuracy

But enough debating....post some more pics and vids people!
HULK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #67 (permalink)
BRR

From the MCN article I can totally understand why Ducati and Aprilia are using semi-active suspension on their adventure bikes first and not on their racing bikes. The system makes little sense for the track where conditions are controlled and off the shelf racing suspension will work better.
BRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #68 (permalink)

People keep talking smack of the HP4.. No even the event of engineering..

I feel this is like the mustang GT guys dogging out the Mach 1s.. So it doesnt have a turbo, big deal.. We got better tires, better brakes, better sound muffler, better suspension, better looks, and still carry out a 3 year warranty!

Go buy a s1000RR and spend $5k on it.. Let us know how good it looks, sounds, runs and how much warranty you got left...

Oh, also the headaches, mechanic flaws, scratches, time at the shop, time on shipping, and the mental stress to achieve a bike that can't be put side by side with a HP4..

But yeah, y'all are right, the hp4 is not exclusive, I just can't figure out why people are still trying to get one and they're all gone... Whack!
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
...But yeah, y'all are right, the hp4 is not exclusive, I just can't figure out why people are still trying to get one and they're all gone... Whack!
Ha, ha...true! Not *all* gone though...dealer here has a comp not spoken for despite that it's plastered all over their website. Surprising.
solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:49 AM   #70 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
People keep talking smack of the HP4.. No even the event of engineering..

I feel this is like the mustang GT guys dogging out the Mach 1s..
I can relate, except the Mach 1 has a 4 cam engine, pretty significant.

If I didn't have a 2010 S1000RR that I love and I was in the market for a liter bike today and I could afford a HP4, I'd get one. But, as the previous owner of a 1984 1/2 GT 350 special edition Mustang, it sucked that it only had just a regular 5.0 engine, in the end it was really nothing special, just stickers. It didn't get the true dual exhaust or the roller cam that came out just 6 months later in 1985. Had it had those things, I'd still have that car, instead I'm driving a 2004 Mach 1, with a much more powerful and unique engine.

With the HP4, I really don't think that bike needs more power, especially for the streets. BUT it would be nice to have a more powerful engine for at least for bragging rights sake, but also to really set the bike apart. All the other bells and whistles make it a special bike on it's own. It's the next phase, and a true leap if you're asking me. To all of you that have or are getting one, cheers.

Triple

Last edited by Triple Threat; 12-11-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Triple Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement