MCN: s1000rr vs HP4 - Page 5 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #41 (permalink)

I think that you only live once and IF you can afford to get a HP4 then go ahead and enjoy it. They are a great looking bike and should be the fastest bike on the market. I dont see how the Panigale could be any faster. the Suspension is the most interesting part of bike. 26k is alot for a bike but when you want the best you have to pay for it. I will wait a year or two see what BMW has coming out then(maybe a engine redesign).

Track- 2011 BMW S1000RR with ABS, TC, and Race Assist. BST Wheels, Shorai Battery, Full Akrapovic Exhaust, Bazzaz, Full Ohlins suspension, Vortex Rearsets, BMC Race Filter, Pazzo Racing Levers, Yoshimura Case Protectors, Stomp tank Pads, Puig Windscreen, Frame Sliders and Fender eliminator

Track- 2008 GSXR 1000 with 194 RWHP, Racetech Suspension, full Bazzaz Package, etc.
pimpedc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #42 (permalink)

Why did we all buy S1RR's instead of Aprilia's, Ducati's or Japanese?

Pretty much you can pick out parts from both HP4's post and jhockey for the reasons why. HP4's are not exclusive when it comes to arguing for/against.

I LOVE that we all have so much pashion about these things whether it's for or against. Who said BMW's don't have soul???

Keep the pashion for the brand but please, respect each other and enjoy that, collectively we kick the butts of every other brand out there.

Soap box pushed aside!!
wattsy_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #43 (permalink)
BRR

To me, from an objective perspective not counting the "je ne sais quoi" factor of exclusivity, the only thing really special about the HP4 is the semi active suspension.

If I really think about it, I have absolutely no complaints about the S1000RR suspension that is currently on my bike. Could it be better? Maybe, but I'm not sure the answer is an expensive electronically controlled "upgrade". I for one am willing to wait for this technology to prove itself to me over several iterations before I part with a bike I am wholly satisfied with already.

It also seems like this "semi active" suspension thing will be all over the place very soon. Ducati and Aprilia already are using it on their adventure/touring bikes. Just doesn't seem like enough of a "trick" to me at least to pluck down the big bucks for the HP4.

I agree with others who said the HP2 was a much more special offering from BMW, from what I can see in my opinion I think they didn't try hard enough with the HP4.
BRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #44 (permalink)

I am sorry but whoever thinks the competion version is exclusive have fallen prey to marketing BS. They only thing comp gives you is a package deal for some HP parts. Nothing more. I am not denying its looks, but it is not exclusive. Now the HP4's on a whole are exclusive. For me, I am after the performance side. I was going to buy a reg s1k, but for the money, and a bit of rarity, it was a small up charge to get all the added bits.

Just my 2 cents Canadian
2013 BMW HP4 #0162 (STOLEN JUNE 17, 2014!!!)
2010 MB C63 AMG PERF PLUS (For Sale! )
2005 HONDA CR125 (Sold)
2003 SUZUKI GSXR 600 - track toy (For Sale!)
Fbto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbto View Post
...Just my 2 cents Canadian
As the 53rd State of the US shouldn't you be correcting that??

wattsy_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #46 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
I am sorry but whoever thinks the competion version is exclusive have fallen prey to marketing BS. They only thing comp gives you is a package deal for some HP parts. Nothing more. I am not denying its looks, but it is not exclusive. Now the HP4's on a whole are exclusive. For me, I am after the performance side. I was going to buy a reg s1k, but for the money, and a bit of rarity, it was a small up charge to get all the added bits.

Just my 2 cents Canadian
I'm with u on this. The HP4 is exclusive and the best thing out now. And that's y I bought one. I had a red/white 12 on order, but when I heard about the HP4 in July, I cancelled and switched for the latter. I too had the first choice of getting the comp or the standard. I chose the standard because I already have over $4k dollars in aftermarket items (levers, sliders, rearsets, etc.).

Sorry noam, but the HP4 is not just a s1000rr with ddc. It's an HP4. A competition is a standard with aftermarket parts....no more exclusive than mines, lmao! I do agree with everything else u said tho, lol!

All in all, we have the best damn bikes, period. Whether its an HP4 (stand or comp) or any year S1000RR, our scoots are second to none. Let's all just ride safely and not down or degrade anyone or their bikes because u don't share the same ideals as them. Let's not turn to having the kind of attitudes as them damn Harley and duc riding assholes, lmao!! J/k...lol!!

Enjoy your bikes everyone!!!

Sent from my EVO using Motorcycle.com Free App

"Burn Rubber...Not Your Soul!" - Smoke (Biker Boyz)
LukeJaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #47 (permalink)

If I didn't already own a 2010, I would definitely be in the market for the HP4,
but I bought mine WITHOUT all the bells and whistles cause I wanted a
simple machine, though I would probably have gotten the ABS & Traction Control if I had to do it again. I do have the shift assist, but most
of the time I just love to shift it using the clutch and can do it almost as
fast as using the shift assist.
Having "customized" my bike to the way I like it, with some carbon and tinted
windshield, (have yet to install the Yoshimura tail tidy), and having test
ridden both the 2011 and 2012, I don't find the HP4 all that exciting since the
engine is still basically the same and if you're only a street rider like me, I
just don't see all that much in the HP4 to trade mine in. I just love my 2010 and IMHO I think that it is nicer looking than the HP4 and am still a long way from riding it to the max of its potential the way some of the stunt riders do.
Just my $0.02 worth.
Ps#37-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:16 AM   #48 (permalink)

It's kind of funny to read the HP4/S1000 threads and then look at the Panigale and the Panigale R threads. Exact same for/against arguments.
Jayhawkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh and lighter wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Better to keep body weight around 140-150 lbs than to buy an HP4 and weigh 160-170 lbs. No chance a well tuned Ohlins setup is going to outperform BMW's electronic wizardry. It's far more economical to but an S1 and mod. the suspension, ecu, code, pipes, etc.

My $0.02. Wheels can be upgraded cheaply with magnesium if you sell your stock S1 for $1,500 on ebay, but suspension is key. Even upgrading the stock forks with Ohlins cartridges will go a long way. Unfortunately lots of dropped S1 riders are seeking inexpensive oem parts. An OEM BMW brake lever is a whopping $300.00 MSRP for example. Weight savings from static fairings does little, performance wise. So, unless you want the look its best to go with a set of cheap shark skins which weigh may actually be slightly lighter than the HP4 bodywork. Carbon does automatically mean light weight. It depends largely on how it was woven, resin used, tightness of the carbon "thread" weaving, etc.

Again, easiest way to increase performance is to loose body weight, hands down. So, unless two riders of the same weight are comparing an S1 & Hp4 it's apples to oranges and highly subjective.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:

Just my 2 cents Canadian
this is absolutely correct. Beyond the DDC and some software, the HP4 is, hate to say it, a parts bin special. Everything on the competition is straight out of the HP catalog. It almost feels like they're trying to clear out HP parts inventory by packaging them all into a bike.

regarding the "added midrange power", that's exactly what you get with a plain $1800 Akrapovic Ti full system and a PCV.

The HP4 isn't meant to be something truly special. It's meant to homologate the DDC suspension for WSBK racing. But by marketing it as an HP4 BMW accomplishes several things, not the least of which is a lot of excitement over having the best of the best.

I've said this before, but when BMW gets around to building a true HP4, like the HP2 Sport, then I'm in. We're talking an HP4 with bespoke parts, like milled triple clamps and rearsets. 100% carbon fiber fairings. A truly massaged engine that isn't just an aftermarket exhaust slapped on (the HP2 boxer gained power over the standard oilheads through redesigned heads).
2000 Ducati ST4 (sold)
2010 S1000RR (sold)
2007 F800S (sold)
kismetcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement