MCN: s1000rr vs HP4 - Page 3 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #21 (permalink)

GS's are fantastic but I would take both any day of the week... two completely different machines. I'm actually thinkin of picking up a GS for my wife (so I can steal it when I want )
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #22 (permalink)

Im heart broken.. so you mean to tell me that I'd be better off buying a '13 RR and adding full muffler system and other things is better than a $30,000 hp4 comp?
Bike is $25,999, plus, tax title, delivery and blah blah.. sums up to 29,9XX...

Is this investment really worthy?
For the first time im doubtful..and it wont even be collectible.. wtf!?
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
Im heart broken.. so you mean to tell me that I'd be better off buying a '13 RR and adding full muffler system and other things is better than a $30,000 hp4 comp?
Bike is $25,999, plus, tax title, delivery and blah blah.. sums up to 29,9XX...

Is this investment really worthy?
For the first time im doubtful..and it wont even be collectible.. wtf!?
If you want the latest and greatest then definitely it's worth it..but keep in mind, DDC as an option is right around the corner once it's widely available, maybe even on the next gen S1KRR, the appeal of the S1KRR will definitely take a hit. In terms of becoming rare and collectible, that's hard to say but IMHO it probably won't attain the same type of uniqueness as HP2. Just like M series cars, there will be plenty out there that will mod their "regular" S1KRR to become something like HP4 which will somewhat dilute the original HP4 and this is not something you can do with the HP2...I know my opinion are pretty bias since I own a HP2 and got a deposit on HP4 and just got a call the bike is at the dealer. The more I think about it, the more I want to just keep my HP2 and call it a day, it's a fine bike for my skill level and I do see the appeal of HP4 as well..too bad I didn't win that $500m lottery, otherwise I would keep the HP2 and add HP4 to the collection.
Scblacksunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by montage5874 View Post
I didn't really want to start a whole new thread and it fits this topic.

The new BMW HP4 makes its race debut in Macau | BimmerFile
Not defending the HP4 but they are comparing apples and oranges. A near stock HP4 versus a $100,000 plus WSB field isn't a fair fight. Not sure if that is really the goal for the Hp4 but then I'm starting to not understand what exactly is the purpose of the HP4 except for a test of some new technology and a requirement of BMW to sell a required amount of bikes to qualify for the racing class.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Nyuscdjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyuscdjs View Post
Not defending the HP4 but they are comparing apples and oranges. A near stock HP4 versus a $100,000 plus WSB field isn't a fair fight. Not sure if that is really the goal for the Hp4 but then I'm starting to not understand what exactly is the purpose of the HP4 except for a test of some new technology and a requirement of BMW to sell a required amount of bikes to qualify for the racing class.

I agree, not a fair fight. And I think you hit the nail on the head as far as the purpose of the HP4.

That being said, I do think the HP4 is worth it. If I had the money and didn't already have a '12 I woulda bought a comp HP. It's basically my bike, but better. And the damn thing looks so cool, plus the exclusivity of it. Hell, I paid $1000 more for my Repsol over the standard cbr and that's just a paint job! No performance upgrades or limited edition badge number. That's just how much I loved the looks of it. With the HP4 it's more than just looks.

Whoever's getting one, just get it because you drool everytime you look at it and ride it. Don't obsess over resale value. And even if you upgrade your stock s1k to match the HP, guess what? You still don't have an HP. Them sh*ts are sick, period! I do think some folks are going overboard here, posting pics of the friggin box the bike is in. But still, I wish I was getting one
HULK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #26 (permalink)

I think the HP4 is part homologation and part real world, customer beta testing of the DDC technology. It would be great to get one of the first run ones but I would bet everything I own that it will be optional on other bikes in the near future so I'm quite relaxed about getting my hands on it eventually.

The S1krr is still a highly desirable bike so I'm not getting too worried about the resale value. Strip away all the electronics and it's still a stupid fast, great handling machine.
br8vhrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyuscdjs View Post
I'm torn. I have a HP4 comp at the dealer but I'm not 100% sure now why I need this HP4. I have a dedicated 675R track bike and several road bikes including a BMW 1200GS.

I guess my thought was initially to have a serious twisty road bike that could better handle the roads up here in the new York area, plus have more control of traction control but be able to bring the bike to an occasional track day.

Am I asking too much of the HP4 and should I just stay with the GS and the track bike, especially given the cost of the comp? And yes, I agree that the HP4 won't be collectible like the HP2 sport.

Curious what you all think.

Thanks

GS is sick... Also have a 1200

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Rudehugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #28 (permalink)

I will be able to give a better opinion today as I'm riding my 2012, 70 miles to go pick up my hp4 and ride the long way back home.
2013 HP4 Competition #0373-Sold
Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #29 (permalink)

in all honesty, if I didn't have a boxful of parts from my 2010 bike and the HP4 was ready for delivery in August, I'd have taken it.

Just didn't make sense to wait four months for an HP4 when I already had Brembo monoblocs, Akrapovic exhaust, and plenty of carbon fiber bits, etc in storage.

I'm not saying the HP4 isn't badass. I'm just in a unique situation where already owning all the upgraded hardware meant that the only thing I would be getting for the extra $5K would be DDC.
2000 Ducati ST4 (sold)
2010 S1000RR (sold)
2007 F800S (sold)
kismetcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #30 (permalink)
CYD

Quote:
Originally Posted by montage5874 View Post
I didn't really want to start a whole new thread and it fits this topic.

The new BMW HP4 makes its race debut in Macau | BimmerFile
There has already been a lonely quiet thread specific to the Macau race and the HP4, but to avoid confusion and to add clarity, BMW did get a 3rd place finish on an S1000RR, but the HP4 finished 17th.

The HP4 team qualified 13th, managed to climb it's way to 12th, before falling back, to finish 17th. The race was only 10 laps instead of 15.

Last edited by CYD; 12-06-2012 at 12:04 PM.
CYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement