MCN: s1000rr vs HP4 - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1K-RR View Post
Im with you on this Karlb

I couldnt justify the price on waiting for an HP4... there is no advantage to one in my eyes for street riding... and I have a track bike so my S1000RR stays on the street.

the DDC sounds cool though... but the standard doesnt turn my crank... the Competition does... but the price is way up there...

Calling my dealer today to see when the HP4's hit the floor.
In Canada the difference between a s1k and a hp4 std is only 3 g's

So it's a no brainer for me. I get LC, DCC and full system and race ecu and tinted screen for 3k. Plus a bit more unique.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
2013 BMW HP4 #0162
2010 MB C63 AMG PERF PLUS
2005 HONDA CR125
2003 SUZUKI GSXR 600 - track toy (for sale)
Fbto is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbto View Post
In Canada the difference between a s1k and a hp4 std is only 3 g's

So it's a no brainer for me. I get LC, DCC and full system and race ecu and tinted screen for 3k. Plus a bit more unique.

Oh and lighter wheels

2013 BMW HP4 #0162
2010 MB C63 AMG PERF PLUS
2005 HONDA CR125
2003 SUZUKI GSXR 600 - track toy (for sale)
Fbto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

Or for regular S1000RR you can just wait until this is available..looks like this is the way of the future and in that respect, 2nd gen of this tech will probably be much better and that brings me to the question, will it take away some of the special quality of HP4 when DDC are widely available? I might be bias but to me HP4 will never be as special as the HP2 especially down the road. I mean, pretty much everything on the HP4 can be converted from a standard S1KRR without huge amount of modification. (Switching out the suspension, re-program the ECU, change out the wheels, carbon fairings, rear set and levers, different color scheme) Don't think it's as simple with that on the HP2 since it's essentially a whole different bike from R1200S. Just my .2 cents

Tenneco-Marzocchi Active Suspension- First Look Review
Scblacksunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scblacksunshine View Post
Or for regular S1000RR you can just wait until this is available..looks like this is the way of the future and in that respect, 2nd gen of this tech will probably be much better and that brings me to the question, will it take away some of the special quality of HP4 when DDC are widely available? I might be bias but to me HP4 will never be as special as the HP2 especially down the road. I mean, pretty much everything on the HP4 can be converted from a standard S1KRR without huge amount of modification. (Switching out the suspension, re-program the ECU, change out the wheels, carbon fairings, rear set and levers, different color scheme) Don't think it's as simple with that on the HP2 since it's essentially a whole different bike from R1200S. Just my .2 cents

Tenneco-Marzocchi Active Suspension- First Look Review
long story short HP4 is badass... for me I'm gonna ride my 2013 for a couple years (cause I effin love this bike) let all the little bugs get worked out of the new tech and then see what BMW has in store for me in 2015... whatever it is I guarantee it will be badass. One thing's for sure BMW doesn't make sh** worse year over year. But let's not make the mistake of disregarding how awesome the HP4 is it's a significant change in tech and I bet she rides beautifully. If the adjustable engine braking (1-7 is it?) is a fact then that and the DDC are the two really desirable things for me.

Last edited by QuikSanD; 12-05-2012 at 12:44 PM.
QuikSanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

active suspension is the new ABS. When I started riding, only BMW had it. Then it popped up here and there on a few other bikes. Now it's everywhere, even on Harleys and across most of the Ducati range.

active suspension will follow the same route, and of course, successive generations will be better. Look at the clunky ABS that was on BMW flying brick K-bikes, compared to the elegantly simple and compact ABS pump on our bikes.
2010 S1000RR (sold)
2007 F800S (sold)
kismetcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

In a nutshell, the article says, HP4 not as good on the track , much better on the road, not very good at slow speed cornering but if you a trackdayer and ride to and from, saves all the hasle of playing with the suspension. If thats worth the money to you, then its a good buy.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

I said it before and will say it now.The only thing that I envy in the HP4 is the 15 level DTC in Slick mode.I am not in for the wheels or DDC or carbon etc only for the 15 level DTC...
You will never be arrested #58
DrIoannis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Default HP4 at Macau GP and S1000rr places third

I didn't really want to start a whole new thread and it fits this topic.

The new BMW HP4 makes its race debut in Macau | BimmerFile
montage5874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #19 (permalink)

I'm torn. I have a HP4 comp at the dealer but I'm not 100% sure now why I need this HP4. I have a dedicated 675R track bike and several road bikes including a BMW 1200GS.

I guess my thought was initially to have a serious twisty road bike that could better handle the roads up here in the new York area, plus have more control of traction control but be able to bring the bike to an occasional track day.

Am I asking too much of the HP4 and should I just stay with the GS and the track bike, especially given the cost of the comp? And yes, I agree that the HP4 won't be collectible like the HP2 sport.

Curious what you all think.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Nyuscdjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

A GS in good hands will always beat a super bike on twisties. Most super bike riders don't like to be reminded of that though nor do I own a GS.
I did test drive one up the local pass: it makes it soooooo easy to be quick without all the knee down nonsense (that I abide by on track with the RR).

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
marc-f is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement