New shift system for the S1000RR - Page 3 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #21 (permalink)

that's some very nice machining!

in terms of reducing the shift travel, how would this be different than the adjustable Attack Racing rearsets? I actually have mine set at stock travel now, as shift effort increases as travel decreases, and I don't always ride with race boots - all other shoes are too soft to put enough force on the lever (I prefer standard over GP shift).
2000 Ducati ST4 (sold)
2010 S1000RR (sold)
2007 F800S (sold)
kismetcapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque View Post
I think the sensor isn't in the correct position. It's a "Pull" sensor, not "Push" type. Have you tried the quickshifter?
I'm a little embarrassed! I totally overlooked that fact! It's not a major problem, I just need to make one additional part now.

When I designed this and started doing mock-ups, I used a Bonamici shift lever that I had as a test piece. It wasn't the correct shape, but it worked for what I was doing. After realizing the mistake with the shift sensor, I now find that the sensor hits the alternator cover when in standard shift pattern. It works fine in GP pattern but I wanted both. That was an expensive mistake! I now have to redesign the shift lever to work in both shift patterns.

I was planning to begin selling these next week, but will have to pospone sales now for an additional week while I make another part for the sensor.

When I have the sensor fitted I'll let everyone know. When I get the new shift levers machined, I'll send those out to anyone that wants the option of both patterns.
teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #23 (permalink)

If it will help you get mine out quicker, I only want the GP pattern and will never want it standard again.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #24 (permalink)

Default RR Shift Solution Pricing

I'm a little late with getting a price out there but I have all of my costs put together now so here we go!

I am going to offer these at an introductory price of $435.00.

I believe that I have produced a high quality custom product that surpasses anything else available. From the quality CNC machined finish to the Hard Anodizing and stainless steel fasteners, I have tried to produce parts that are unique, perform the task they were intended for and to stand out against the competition.

I take a lot of pride in my RR Shift Solution and hope you would be just as proud to have it on your bike. If for any reason you are not happy with your purchase, within the first (30) thirty days of use, send me an email for return information, and then send it back for a full refund (crash damage excluded).

Again, these will be ready for purchase around the end of the week of the 14th.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #25 (permalink)

I thought I was the only person having trouble with neutral. I have less than 200 miles on the bike though. I am hoping the gearbox breaks in.

Is that wishful thinking? I have a 2012 S1 with the OEM electronic shift assist.

But, getting into neutral is a challenge. It almost always goes straight into 2nd and from 2nd it pops into neutral just fine.

This is my 12 or 13th bike, so I highly doubt it's user error. I've had rough gearboxes that have broken in, in the past, but I've never had this level of of trouble.

Anyone with a bike that has over 1,000 miles/2,000 kilometers notice that their gearbox has become smoother over time- especially in regard to finding neutral?

If this kit helps, you can mark me down as a buyer...(standard shifting though).

Thanks,
Wolf

Last edited by Wolfgang; 12-06-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to list I was interested in buying the product...
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I thought I was the only person having trouble with neutral. I have less than 200 miles on the bike though. I am hoping the gearbox breaks in.

Is that wishful thinking? I have a 2012 S1 with the OEM electronic shift assist.

But, getting into neutral is a challenge. It almost always goes straight into 2nd and from 2nd it pops into neutral just fine.

This is my 12 or 13th bike, so I highly doubt it's user error. I've had rough gearboxes that have broken in, in the past, but I've never had this level of of trouble.

Anyone with a bike that has over 1,000 miles/2,000 kilometers notice that their gearbox has become smoother over time- especially in regard to finding neutral?

If this kit helps, you can mark me down as a buyer...(standard shifting though).

Thanks,
Wolf
This is my second 2012. The first one was part of the recall and I only had 150 miles on it when I heard about the recall. I worked a deal with the dealer and got a new one built after the recall VIN's.

That first bike had the smoothest, most precise transmission I have ever experienced on any bike I've owned. Like you, I have owned alot of bikes! The 2012 I have now was horrible when I first purchased it. After the second ride, I began looking for aftermarket solutions to make it shift better. That's how I came about manufacturing the parts you see here. I tried purchasing something similar, but never received the finished parts from the company. So I redesigned what they were marketing and built my own.

The transmission now has about 2000 miles on it and the shifting is much, much better, with two exceptions.

1) I never use 6th gear on the street or highway. There is not enough load on the transmission to get it to shift smoothly from 5th to 6th.

2) Keep the RPM's up when shifting. This transmission needs a load on it to shift properly.

The shifting solution that I'm building allows you to fine tune the geometery of the much shorter and compact shift linkage. Everything is tighter with less movement. It also mounts everything to the engine cases in a more solid fashion. It also offers GP pattern shifting which I think allows you to apply a more precise pressure on the shifter.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #27 (permalink)

Thanks TBear,

I'll have to take a look at the linkage. Your solution makes a lot of sense. It's pretty crappy, to be sitting at a light having to fumble with one's transmission just to find neutral. But it makes sense, if the linkage is not solid or incorrectly leveraged/designed.

If it's only a GP shift pattern that you've crafted, no prob. You're right it does give one more leverage.

I'll see what the dealer thinks, when I take it in for its 600 mile, or rather it's $250.00 tuneup/rip-off. I'm sure they'll say all is great!

Congrats. on your accomplishment. When everything is ready, I'm interested, as at the moment it makes puts a dent into an otherwise great machine.

I'll keep in mind the high-rev. issue; First-gear's ratio is very tall, but I suppose with 193 h.p. BMW didn't have much of a choice on the matter. Point being, I haven't had an opportunity to hit high rpms yet :-) .

Thanks for the suggestions and for coming up with what looks like a great solution.

Cheers,
Wolf
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:20 AM   #28 (permalink)

Default More photos

I thought I would post a few more photos. The white specs and smudges in some of the pictures are dust and fingerprints. Every time I cleaned one spot, I just added more smudges when I set it back on the table! The hard coat anodizing is very nice and even.

All of the parts are back from anodizing and the Quickshifter is now mounted correctly, upshifting under tension like it was designed to do (I'm still embarrassed by that one!). I had to machine some shift rods to fix that. I've included three different lengths, and when used with the eccentric, you can make very fine adjustments to the lever and linkage. I have all of the stainless hardware now. I just need to write up the instructions and take some photos of the installed equipment. I have a professional photographer hired for that.

I have thought about including a thumb drive with a short installation video in place of written instructions. What are your thoughts on that? I have written up a parts list and I plan on shipping it basically assembled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0363.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	10808   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0377.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	10809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0380.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	10810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0378.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	10811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0376.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	10812  

Old 12-10-2012, 02:41 AM   #29 (permalink)

Default RR Shift Solution

Some more photos!

The parts I will be shipping you are all Hard Anodized black. The system on my bike is just the pre-production parts. They are out of the same production run, they just were not sent out for anodizing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	10838   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0383.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	10839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0385.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	10840   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	10841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0402.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	10842  

Last edited by teddybear; 12-10-2012 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 12-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #30 (permalink)

I got my set on the bike today.

First, Ted has been extremely good to work with, by far the best vendor I've dealt with yet. He is quick to reply, is open to suggestions, and the most shocking part is that items get here when he says they will. A week ago he told me they'd be on my doorstep today, and they were sitting there yesterday. Couldn't be happier with that!

The fit and finish could not be any better. Every piece he sent out fit perfectly, and looked great. The shift action feels so much better as well. Shifts require a lot less effort, and the QS feels like it engages a sooner and with less effort as well. I'm very happy with the shift action now.

Ted and I are working on a couple improvements, which mainly add further adjustment. One will allow for the footpeg itself to be slid forward and backward depending on a rider's specific foot and foot position, and the other would allow for alternative mounts for the QS to the shift lever, which would shorten shift throws (But with increased effort). The shift action is so easy now, that I think the kit would really benefit from mounting the QS slightly farther away from the pivot, reducing shift lengths.

Guys I would not hesitate to buy this, I'm very happy with mine.
Advertisement