launch techniques? - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
Go Back   BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum > General BMW S1000RR Discussions > BMW S1000RR General Discussion

» Insurance
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Use throttle control with your right wrist and you'll be fine.
Evolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 03:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radupanait View Post
Is there any way to keep the lift assist and turn off traction control? What about with the hp calibration kit? Only reason I ask is because I do a lot of drag racing and I would love to keep the s1000rr stock length and height, since my other 2 bikes are stretched and lowered. But I can't seem to go down the track without it flipping over on me

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
brocks sell a spacer that will disable the slipper clutch, while this wont directly stop the front wheel lifting it will stop the bunnyhopping on the starts and will be a lot easier to get of the line, easy to fit too.
the hp calibration kit wont allow you to keep anti wheelie and turn tc off
antonn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hello, I do races in Europe for years and I have to say the S1000RR launching capabilty is not so good.

With japanese 1000cc bikes, I used to rev at 10K/11K then I droped the clutch in order to have a progressive slip until the grab, I did that in the same time I twist fullthrotle. Once the full grab was Ok and whatever the achieved rev I shifted up the second gear.

With the S1000RR, i tired this but i did not succeed. The stock clutch does not allow it. After many tests, I do that:
I rev at 6K/7K, I drop the clutch in a very aggressive manor while I twist fullthrotle, once the bike is good running, I shift up the second gear. It is close to a very aggressive launch at a trafic light.
This way is almost efficient than the "japanese" one.

I ride in slick mode, dtc on or off depending on the conditions.
poiteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default Be careful what you ask for.

Some people have hinted at it but from what I can glean from magazine tests and people actually using the bike maybe this is not something you really want to get good at.

A perfect launch, meaning maximum acceleration is HIGHLY destructive to the clutch. People talk about eating clutchs like tires if you are doing it right. At least that is the impression I got from the Brock's crowd who drag race a lot.

So maybe get some practice on something less expensive or better yet just be a bit slower and have your clutch last a lot longer. Those tests in magazines where they talk about feathering the clutch at 9k+ and floating the front end until the clutch fries don't sound worth it for the real world.
Jaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

When i launch my bike on the drag i don't use too much revs, maybe becuase i still don't have the balls to do such thing even after participating in more than 10 drag events during last year's season

My bike now is lowered and strapped but still on SWB, i added Brocks clutch mod which really helped to launch the bike better, also the best investment was installing the new Conti SportAttack2 tires, they are simply super sticky tires. I add a -1 front sprocket

I managed to get a personal best time of 9.57 sec with a 1.782 sec 60ft time on yesterday's drag night event.

BMW S1000RR with Austin Racing exhaust & Bazzaz & MWR airfilter 9.57 sec @ 153 MPH - YouTube

On my friend's little strached S1000RR with bolts on, i managed a 9.45 sec with a 1.754 sec 60ft.

BMW S1000RR 9.45 sec @ 154 MPH - YouTube
2010 S1000RR- Ported head by Bsinclair-Austin Racing GP3 full Exhaust - Brentuning flash device - MWR HE Air Filter - BST wheels - Ceramic wheel bearings , 5" stretch, lowered, Brock's Performance clutch mod & heavy spring kit & front strap kit, APE Clutch, -1 front
8.78 sec on 91 pump gas & Conti SportAttack2 tire
YouTube: BMWS1000RRBAHRAIN
1000RR Bahrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Which Brock's clutch mod are you referring to they have 2 of then listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
radupanait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #17 (permalink)

http://www.brocksperformance.com/Clu...70591+C29.aspx

Just keep in mind that this kit will disable the standard slipper clutch job..
2010 S1000RR- Ported head by Bsinclair-Austin Racing GP3 full Exhaust - Brentuning flash device - MWR HE Air Filter - BST wheels - Ceramic wheel bearings , 5" stretch, lowered, Brock's Performance clutch mod & heavy spring kit & front strap kit, APE Clutch, -1 front
8.78 sec on 91 pump gas & Conti SportAttack2 tire
YouTube: BMWS1000RRBAHRAIN
1000RR Bahrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

I turn dtc off and go in slick mode....To me the key is to get the back tire to spin so I have taken to adding tire pressure to 35 or 37 psi....I try to launch just like I learned in motocross...lean way forward with your weight mostly off scooter rev up to around 9,000 (Sometimes more) and drop the hammer...the back tire should spin while you shoot off like a screaming banshey, as soon as the back tire starts biting it will start wheeling and then you just modulate the clutch the best you can and stay on the gas the best you can....make sure you stay down and leaning forward the whole time...if you are trying to do it sitting up, well that is wheelie city...also consider tying the front in down with belts, that helps a lot with the wheelie problem. Anyway that is my two cents worth...btw just as a matter of statement I am a former AMA expert license holder back in the day with pretty extensive experience including quite a few trips to the strip with all manner of go fast scooters.
Red and Alpine White 2012 S1000RR, Austin Racing Full Inconel GP2R exhaust with titanium can, PCV with dyno tune by WSB tuner, AR CF Satin Belly Pan, R&G Racing side covers and wheel sliders and License plate relocation kit with rear light internal LED blinkers and brake lights.
usrodeo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

good advice. Those front end straps make a big difference in keeping the front end down....Had some brocks straps on a gsxr 1000. If you slip the clutch right the clutch will wear out quick.

Street and Track- 2011 BMW S1000RR with ABS, TC, and Race Assist. Full Akrapovic Exhaust, Bazzaz, Full Ohlins suspension, Vortex Rearsets, BMC Race Filter, Pazzo Racing Levers, Yoshimura Case Protectors, Stomp tank Pads, Puig Windscreen, Frame Sliders and Fender eliminator

Track- 2008 GSXR 1000 with 194 RWHP, Racetech Suspension, full Bazzaz Package, etc.
pimpedc6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalker View Post
My experience is that the S1000RR sucks at launches. The best technique I've been told (and I need to practice this next season) is to launch normally at about 4,000 RPM and then catch up with the other guys who've long gone.
Ditto: I use the Ed Bargy technique. He says, when the green flag drops, just GO! In other words, don't over think the start, but just GO. IF, you are faster than the guy who started before you, you will most likely catch him.

But I'm talking road racing, I think the OP is talking drag. Thus, my advice is useless.
New Life Bible Church "Racing"
tanks95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement